Waterproof GPS?

tnwave

I'm sorry to post that my Garmin etrex died a watery death this week. I really can't complain since it did give me 7 good years of service. In fact I was surprised at my failure to rescue my dear companion since I have been able to do so in the past. Perhaps that was the problem: one too many dives. But life goes on and now I must find a new trail partner. Am getting by with cellphone app but seriously, how do folks live without a dedicated GPSr? I do a lot of trail caching and quite a bit of 5 terrains from my kayak and other types of boats. I'm looking for suggestions here from other water addicted cachers. Are there any units out there that are holding up well to the ocassional tip over and sudden rains? Looking to spend 300-400.

I'm sorry to post that my Garmin etrex died a watery death this week. I really can't complain since it did give me 7 good years of service. In fact I was surprised at my failure to rescue my dear companion since I have been able to do so in the past. Perhaps that was the problem: one too many dives. But life goes on and now I must find a new trail partner. Am getting by with cellphone app but seriously, how do folks live without a dedicated GPSr? I do a lot of trail caching and quite a bit of 5 terrains from my kayak and other types of boats. I'm looking for suggestions here from other water addicted cachers. Are there any units out there that are holding up well to the ocassional tip over and sudden rains? Looking to spend 300-400.

I have a older 76CSx that is waterproof and will also float if dropped in the water. The newer version of mine would be the 78 series but I'm not sure if they kept the same specs or not, I've never took a close look at them.

Almost all outdoor garmins are made waterproof afaik - whether they will retain that waterproofness is another question. The traditional etrex devices had quite severe problems with that rubber band / sticky glue problem. Upon unsticking, the device could pretty easily become non-waterproof.

Garmin outdoors are waterproof for about 3 feet 30 minutes or so, if you go in the kayak just attach a floater to the gps that way it can't sink too deep.

BTW next time your non waterproof gadget gets wet, take out batteries and lay it in a bowl of dry rice for 2-3 days.

Edited by splashy

The float it was attached to was me. Had it around my neck and rolled out for a swim forgetting I had it on me. This one has never floated but it has been dropped in various bodies of water on 3 continents and survived, that is until Lake Gunthersville. I can't knock it for that considering the number of years I got out of it. My first GPSr was a Map76 and I do like the big screen since my GPSr wasn't the only thing aging. The eyes really like a big screen and good backlighting.

I've got a Garmin 76Cx that has survived whitewater in Patagonia and kayak dumps in New Jersey and lots of time in very sweaty bike jersey pockets and it floats. I've got several friends who have lost GPSr because it sank out of sight in the cedar water of the Jersey Pinelands.

When I decided to get Susancycle her own GPSr I bought her a Garmin 78sc. Same deal, waterproof and it floats.

I think all Garmin handhelds are rated at least to IPX-7

Maybe all current products, except the vehicle GPS of course. The old eMap handheld was just water protected (ie could handle little splashes).

I took a tour through all the common manufacturers webpages a few months ago (Garmin, DeLorme, Magellan, Lowrance, etc.). All of the handhelds were listed as IPX-7 compliant, at least out of the box. As mentioned, how long they remain water proof/resistant depends on use.

I took a tour through all the common manufacturers webpages a few months ago (Garmin, DeLorme, Magellan, Lowrance, etc.). All of the handhelds were listed as IPX-7 compliant, at least out of the box. As mentioned, how long they remain water proof/resistant depends on use.

Roger that, and how long the rubber seal over the standard USB port maintains physical integrity:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=290752&st=0&p=4977089&hl=rubber seal&fromsearch=1entry4977089

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=286545&st=0&p=4913236&hl=rubber seal&fromsearch=1entry4913236

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=286618&st=0&p=4912456&hl=rubber seal&fromsearch=1entry4912456

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=161271&st=0&p=4856684&hl=rubber seal&fromsearch=1entry4856684

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=186871&st=50&p=4752426&hl=rubber seal&fromsearch=1entry4752426

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=262498&st=0&p=4516279&hl=rubber seal&fromsearch=1entry4516279

OP,

I've owned several handheld GPS units (Magellans/Garmin/Delorme) and all but all have survived a shower. The only one that I've actually had under water was a Delorme PN20. We both fell from a Waverunner. :)

The Delormes have thier drawbacks (small screens and eat batteries), but they do have a nice seal with two D-ring screws..

Another angle.....you said it was dunked in Lake Guntersville? It might not have been water that shorted it out. I was probably that stupid aquatic Millfoil weed. It gets into everything. :)

I finally decided to go with a Delorme PN60 and am in the process of learning it. Seems that all GPSr's are pretty much IPX7 and all cachers have a preference and a story to tell about accidental water immersions and survival. My old legend was a gift from my husband (he died 6 1/2 years ago) during the time I was taking care of my mother in her final stages of cancer (hiking was my energy release) back in 2004. The legend took a swim in 2 lakes in Nashville, the Mekong river in Vietnam, the main river in downtown Bangkok (forget the name) and a quick dip in the creek at Davy Crocket park in Lawrenceburg, TN. It wasn't even IPX7 rated. If I get as good a service from the PN60 I will be very satisfied.

Thanks for all the helpful input.