Reviewers not responding to Needs Archived?

ArtieD

There is a cache here in Missouri, La Roche de la Croix, that has been around since 2003. At the time, the cache was fine and over the years has been found by numerous people. However, recently someone fell at the site and had to be airlifted out. As a result, the Missouri Department of Conservation posted on their website that there was to be no climbing on the rock tower that the cache is placed on.

Due to this, on August 31, I posted a "Needs Archived" log on the cache because cachers cannot access this cache without breaking the MDC's rules for the area. Since then, two other cachers have posted "Needs Archived" logs as well. The MDC's stance on the area has not changed, so I do not see why it's taking so long for the reviewers to do anything. As long as the cache stays listed, it only encourages people to break the area's rules while in search for this cache.

I think this sends a bad message to the non-caching community and the the MDC itself, an agency which has the power to ban all caching in areas controlled by them.

Have you tried sending a separate email to the reviewer who published the cache instead of a archive request?

This cache was published before the days of reviewers. The first cache log is a "found it" log

I am sorry, there were reviewers on geocaching.com since day one. They didnt added the published log until later.

Edited by SwineFlew

Have you tried sending a separate email to the reviewer who published the cache instead of a archive request?

This cache was published before the days of reviewers. The first cache log is a "found it" log

I am sorry, there were reviewers on geocaching.com since day one. They didnt added the published log until later.

That would explain that!! But it wouldn't tell you who the reviewer was that published it... So that option is kind of out.

Edited by seaeye

That would explain that!! But it wouldn't tell you who the reviewer was that published it... So that option is kind of out.

Do you know your local reviewers?

You can email GS and see what they will do.

Or you can call up MDC and tell them to call GS and it will get archived in a hurry.

Send an e-mail to the current reviewer for the area -- for example, if another cache has been published nearby recently, see who the reviewer for that cache is, and send them an e-mail. Be sure to include the GC# of the questionable cache, and explain the situation.

It sounds like maybe it fell through the cracks a bit, but you can help the process and improve the perception of geocaching to the local authorities.

Send an e-mail to the current reviewer for the area -- for example, if another cache has been published nearby recently, see who the reviewer for that cache is, and send them an e-mail. Be sure to include the GC# of the questionable cache, and explain the situation.

It sounds like maybe it fell through the cracks a bit, but you can help the process and improve the perception of geocaching to the local authorities.

That can open up a can of worm and they will go around on the map and look for any caches that need to be archived. I know a FS guy that did that this past year and a bunch got archived. :ph34r: Some of the caches wasnt on FS ground. The FS guy abused his power.

Edited by SwineFlew

There is a cache here in Missouri, La Roche de la Croix, that has been around since 2003. At the time, the cache was fine and over the years has been found by numerous people. However, recently someone fell at the site and had to be airlifted out. As a result, the Missouri Department of Conservation posted on their website that there was to be no climbing on the rock tower that the cache is placed on.

Due to this, on August 31, I posted a "Needs Archived" log on the cache because cachers cannot access this cache without breaking the MDC's rules for the area. Since then, two other cachers have posted "Needs Archived" logs as well. The MDC's stance on the area has not changed, so I do not see why it's taking so long for the reviewers to do anything. As long as the cache stays listed, it only encourages people to break the area's rules while in search for this cache.

I think this sends a bad message to the non-caching community and the the MDC itself, an agency which has the power to ban all caching in areas controlled by them.

contact@geocaching.com

pointless now

new answer: start a thread in the forums. :lol:

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

That can open up a can of worm and they will go around on the map and look for any caches that need to be archived. I know a FS guy that did that this past year and a bunch got archived. :ph34r: Some of the caches wasnt on FS ground. The FS guy abused his power.

I didn't mean contact the local authorities. I meant that by contacting a reviewer, that the local authorities would feel good that the cache gets archived (ie improve the perception of geocaching). I wouldn't call any authorities about it directly.

I didn't mean contact the local authorities. I meant that by contacting a reviewer, that the local authorities would feel good that the cache gets archived (ie improve the perception of geocaching). I wouldn't call any authorities about it directly.

Oh you mean a reviewer, my bad. Calling any authorities is a big no no in my book. I would never do it but I do wonder a few cachers with a chip on their shoulder would. We got a cacher here that been around since the early days and he had deleted logs because they were copy and paste or too short and before I knew it someone reported on a number of his caches. There were in wilderness area.(was placed before it was banned) They did more damage than just archived his caches in questions but everything else in the area(even a few that wasnt in wilderness land). :ph34r:

Edited by SwineFlew

I have to say that this cache need to be archived, doesnt matter how old its.

Yeah, because now that one can be air lifted in and out of the cache, the darn ratings will have to be changed.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don't know that in the instance that access to the cache is not not allowed that anyone would legitmately try to argue that it should stay alive because of it's age.