If you have a GeoDog: Seasonal Canine Illness

StripyJules

For the last four years or so there has been a problem with dogs becoming ill, some seriously and a few unfortunately fatally, after walking in woodlands in the UK.

The illness seems to arise each autumn and is particularly prevalent in East Anglia and parts of the Midlands. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy within 24-48 hours of walking in forests or woodlands. If your dog suffers these symptoms after walking in the woods please contact your vet immediately.

The cause is not yet known but there is a lot of research going on. The Animal Health Trust are asking dog owners who have walked in affected areas to complete a questionnaire online to assist in this whether their dogs have become ill or not. You can also check on their website for updates of affected areas.

There is also information on the Forestry Commission website.

Please be aware of SCI if you cache with your dog between the end of August and November and speak to your vet if you have any concerns.

There is an awareness problem, but the illness is real and being taken seriously.

One team of cachers has been affected already:

CSI Dunwich Forest

Which is what prompted me to post here. This is my first year - and therefore my first autumn - of caching but outside caching I work with dogs so have been watching the updates on this problem for a while.

It can't hurt to be aware.