Premium Member Only

dufzor

I had a non premium member come to my home cache and signed the log before she was a premium member. Is it ethical to delete the log since she was not a premium member at the time of the find, and back dated the online log to the date she found it, which was indeed before her premium membership began or should I just leave it alone? Curious as I have had two non premiums sign the log now, but one still has not become a premium member. TY

Edited by dufzor

If a premium member with a premium member cache deletes a log of a regular member and that member raises the issue with Groundspeak, Groundspeak will re-instate the log and lock so you can't delete it. You will also get a email telling you not to do that again. There is nothing saying that a regular member can not log a Premium member only cache. Groundspeak has a backdoor in place so they can do this. Many families with only one premium member quite frequently use this. One time when the backdoor got broken Groundspeak quickly fixed it and apologized for any inconvenience. There is no secret about the backdoor, and in fact if you use geocachingadmin.com you cane quite easily log PMO caches as a regular member. The PMO perk is that a regular member can not view your cache page, not that they can not log your cache.

First, Thanks jholly for showing the site for quick logging by non PM's for PMO caches. I have used other methods which work, but this looks easier.

Personally being a BM (I know this will probably not be received well by some), I enjoy working out/solving the coordinates for PMO caches. It is a sort of puzzle cache for me. Solving the coordinates is only done with information GS provides. It is done in a couple of different ways, some easier than others. I do not ask PM's for help and do this on my own. Upon finding them, I log them as GS allows it. Also as was previously stated, I cannot read/see the cache page, so no hints or special instructions are seen before looking for the cache.

I refuse to share the methods of solving the PMO coords and to discuss the reasons I am not a PM (even though I plan to get one some day) as it would not be a productive discussion for anyone.

So I guess the other member that was non premium and still isn't just didn't sign the online log book but signed the physical log book. Again, thanks for the clarification.

If your physical log book has a signature on it, you shouldn't be deleting anything unless under very specific circumstances, period (cursing, spoilers, etc).

First, Thanks jholly for showing the site for quick logging by non PM's for PMO caches. I have used other methods which work, but this looks easier.

Personally being a BM (I know this will probably not be received well by some), I enjoy working out/solving the coordinates for PMO caches. It is a sort of puzzle cache for me. Solving the coordinates is only done with information GS provides. It is done in a couple of different ways, some easier than others. I do not ask PM's for help and do this on my own. Upon finding them, I log them as GS allows it. Also as was previously stated, I cannot read/see the cache page, so no hints or special instructions are seen before looking for the cache.

I refuse to share the methods of solving the PMO coords and to discuss the reasons I am not a PM (even though I plan to get one some day) as it would not be a productive discussion for anyone.

before I had bought a membership ,I had also found PMO caches without paying the 30 bucks (it wasn't hard to do) , as well as impossibly hard challenge caches that i don't qualify for, the real joy is in the finding of these caches, not the logging. (eventually i bought a membership )

In order to stretch my geo dollars ,i made sure before my membership ran out, I downloaded all premium caches into my GPS, and did not renew my membership for several months. I do not feel the need to log every find I get. (you have to admit some finds are so crappy, why bother) My mother taught me "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all". It is not at all hard to figure out where these caches are , so you can probably expect more late logging in the future. I wouldn't be a stickler for the rules if this had happened to my caches, I think of all the times I found a cache without having a pen on me to sign the logbook and all the nice COs who graciously let my log entry stand. This is a user based sport, let's be nice to them, we may rely on THEIR charity one day to be nice to us.