GPS cordinates

Hi I have a location that list the following as it's location:

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):

39.55139, -88.62222 How do I convert this to the format my Garmin GPS uses Nxx°xx.xxx Wxx°xx.xxx.

Is this 39.55139 degrees and seconds?

WGS84 style for your GPSr:

N39°33.083

W088°37.333

the "-88.xxxxxxx" means WEST longitude

I hope that helps you!

Mike Belanger

Edited by AeroMechAZ

Since it's been a couple weeks now and no one mentioned it, I'll point out that a convenient way to convert between coordinate formats is to go to any cache listing and follow the "Other Converstions" link just under the posted coordinates. This takes you to a page where you can enter coordinates in various formats and it will convert them. The page starts with the coordinates of the cache you're looking at, but you can enter any coordinates. The format you have are called "Decimal Degrees", so select that in the pull down list and you'll see how to enter your numbers.

That's convenient for a once in a while thing, but I hope you don't have to do this all the time, and as Socal ZukiCachers suggests, you shouldn't have to.

Hi I have a location that list the following as it's location:

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):

39.55139, -88.62222 How do I convert this to the format my Garmin GPS uses Nxx°xx.xxx Wxx°xx.xxx.

Is this 39.55139 degrees and seconds?

If you want to do it on a calculator everything is based on 60 so with 39.555139 you would multiply the .555139 by 60, giving you 33.308 rounded off to three places. Then add that to the 39 giving you 39° 33.308. To change it the other way divide the 33.308 by 60.

Both can be viewed at the same time, on any page that will let me select 2 Wide Data Fields, like at the bottom of the Trip Computer Small Numbers Page, on my 60Cx.

Enter the two Locations in those fields. I like using the Trip Computer Big Numbers Page best, for the older eyes, with the Location (lat/lon) on top, and (selected) below.

Then I made a CG waypoint, with the hddd.ddddd, went to the Demo Mode, Sat Page, New Location, Use Map, scrolled and panned over to CG, hit Entr, and the Big Numbers are showing N 39 33.083 W 088 37.333 over N 39.55139 W 088.62222. Also shows on the Map Page, where I selected the 2 Wide Data Fields.

Can be used world wide for viewing other formats along with lat/lon.

With Speed selected in all three Big Number Data Fields, it makes it easier when checking against the vehicle speedometer.