How do you solve Puzzle Caches?

cwgrizz

Whop.......................rolling.............................trying to get up....................knocked down again..........................

Ok, I am not asking how to solve specific puzzle caches. What I am asking is how do you work on puzzles?

1. Do you work on one until you get stumped and then quit for awhile?

2. Do you work on a number of cache puzzles at the same time? Work one, get stumped, move on to another, get stumped, etc?

3. Do you find you work on puzzles in spurts or like to work on some all of the time?

I think that is enough for you to get the point of my question.

Personally, I find that I work on puzzles in spurts. Set them aside for awhile and then a month or two later look at the tough ones (unsolved) again. The last few weeks have been puzzle solving time. Solved some, didn't solve others. Some are far enough away that I will probably never find them, but solved them for the fun and experience. Getting old and have to keep the brain active. Ha!

All this is just to see how others like to do puzzles.

*waiting for a boilerplate post to appear soon*

:unsure:

This is completely unnecessary. This post was well worded, very clearly asking for general help with puzzles as a whole.

I'm not a puzzler. The few that I've solved have been a combination of all of the above mentioned methods, none of which was more successful for me than any of the others. Hopefully you'll get some helpful answers, unlike mine and the post above mine <_<

well, I have the advantage of having cleared out all the puzzles say within 21 KM of my house (well, minus boat ride ones or challenges) so any new puzzle in that radius gets automatically worked on.

the ones just beyond that radius will get my attention from time to time and will definitely do them if I like them (ie sudokus, logics, PhilNi puzzles, or other ones that catch my eye).

if I am going on vacation or traveling to some area I will look at the puzzles in that area

otherwise, puzzles say 20 miles from home, I will almost never look at unless it really jumps out at me at being one I would enjoy or one I think I could solve.

The new WSGA series of 54 new puzzles in Washington is something different and I am trying to solve them all. I have a few friends I am working with so its nice to be able to bounce ideas off. Eventually, will have all the other 52 solved. I own 2 of them so I think I can solve those two.

There are just so so so many in Washington state beyond my 20 km radius that its almost daunting the # of them so I just do not try to solve them all.

Whop.......................rolling.............................trying to get up....................knocked down again..........................

Ok, I am not asking how to solve specific puzzle caches. What I am asking is how do you work on puzzles?

1. Do you work on one until you get stumped and then quit for awhile?

2. Do you work on a number of cache puzzles at the same time? Work one, get stumped, move on to another, get stumped, etc?

3. Do you find you work on puzzles in spurts or like to work on some all of the time?

I think that is enough for you to get the point of my question.

Personally, I find that I work on puzzles in spurts. Set them aside for awhile and then a month or two later look at the tough ones (unsolved) again. The last few weeks have been puzzle solving time. Solved some, didn't solve others. Some are far enough away that I will probably never find them, but solved them for the fun and experience. Getting old and have to keep the brain active. Ha!

I bring along my daughter get her the info and sit back and relax B)

I do puzzles everyday. Crosswords, Sudoku, Hearts, etc. As for caches I just pick the closest and depending on how well I can do I might attempt it or set it aside. In fact there's a 2.5/1.5 that I simply haven't attempted yet. I'm just waiting for that peak of interest in solving the puzzle to go get it. I know I'll enjoy it more so then.

Personally I don't care for puzzles, the point of geocaching is getting out to cool new places not to sit at home trying to get into the CO brain, that just scares me, The one's that are around my house, I gave them 5 minutes and then left them, some I found while looking for other caches, some I found from past logs, some I've found while with other cachers and some I haven't found.

I can't help you solve them but I do have some advice, if it starts becoming a chore go find another cache.

Edited by Roman!

I do enjoy some puzzles outside of Geocaching. I do a lot of crosswords, and like some of the puzzles in my computer games.

However, I really don't care for puzzle caches. When one crosses my radar, I will open the cache page, spend a couple minutes to see if it might be one I would like to do. Most times I just skip them. :)

well, I have the advantage of having cleared out all the puzzles say within 21 KM of my house (well, minus boat ride ones or challenges) so any new puzzle in that radius gets automatically worked on.

That's pretty close to my situation. Over the span of a couple of years, I gradually worked through all the puzzles within about 30 km of home. I've now solved all of the ones I can solve from home, and all but a handful of the ones where you need to get/do something in the field. Now, these are just solved, not necessarily found. I'm gradually finding them as I get other caches in those areas. Like you, if a new puzzle comes out, it gets my full attention.

I really enjoy puzzles. I seem to do it in spurts. I'll get busy for weeks, then not solve any for weeks or months, then back at it again. I've done all of the easy ones in our area and am now going through and trying the tough ones again.

It's interesting how some puzzles have stumped me 2 or 3 times, then I'll go back and have an easy time solving it. It's kind of interesting how that works. Sometimes it's because I saw another puzzle similar to it, sometimes it's just a matter of looking at it from a different viewpoint.

I prefer to solve puzzles without help, but sometimes I get desperate and do reach out.

I wish there more puzzles in our area. Especially when it gets dark so early in the winter it's nice to spend the evening puzzle solving. But I can imagine for some people who hate puzzles and like to hide caches OR those numbers-hounds it would be annoying to have too many puzzles. :D

I tend to work on puzzles in spurts. Sometimes, I'm just too busy with other things.

When I do work on puzzles, I almost always work on more than one at a time. I'll just work down the list of puzzle caches nearest to home, or nearest to somewhere I plan to visit in the next few weeks, or wherever. As long as I have ideas on how to approach a puzzle (and am enjoying it), I keep working on that puzzle. If I hit a dead end or it's no longer fun, then I move on to the next puzzle on my list (or go do something else entirely).

About the only time I'm focused on just one puzzle is during Venona's annual ACTIVITIES (a beloved GBA tradition). But Venona pretty much enforces that by releasing only one puzzle at a time. To get the key to access the next puzzle, we need to solve the current puzzle and retrieve a clue at the location of the solution.

My method:

1. Click on puzzle.

2. Eyes glaze over. Smoke starts coming from ears. Quickly click on something else, anything else, to escape the evil clutches of the puzzle. This one will remain as a pretty blue ? forever on my map - I think of them as decorations.

Alternate 2. Eyes perk up - this is one where I actually know what to do! Broad smile. Solve that puppy and go turn one of those pretty blue ? marks to a :) (well...unless, of course, I can't find the thing).

I like field puzzles. I like word puzzles. Math is anathema and should be avoided at all costs. :D

Warning: Contains rant.

So, when I check a puzzle in this area, I decide if it`s remotely doable or not, then the fun starts.

I have to figure out what the person meant with the digit sum and how far, when used, plus wonder what exactly they think was right about their math formula, which goes fully in the wrong order, or is only understandable by the person who made it.

Then I have to check the other puzzle components and wonder "What did this person smoke, and where do I get some?"

So after a while of hard decisions, I get to go outside, and the fun begins.

There´s the wonderful search of the area where it logically is, but is really several miles away, because the owner decided that nobody needs geocheck.

Then I go back home, check all again, attempt to ask the owner, who never, ever answers any sort of question. So after no response, I pin a map on the wall, and begin to toss darts at where it could possibly be, which has worked more often than that proper solving did.

So then I go back outside, and check around my new coordinates, and find a billion empty hiding spots. I start to wonder "Were those last 10 logs fake, or is it gone?" So after more searching and searching, I decide that the owner sadly hid his cache with his I-phone, and wish I could hide his I-phone in an unpleasant spot on him. Still searching, I start to think "Hmmm... I never see many cache owners while out caching, perhaps the other cachers found them and hid the owners remains as well as the caches." Then there´s the annoyince of how this person hates shorter logs, and then I have to overcome the urge to leave a log(depending on found or not) with a list of how bad it is, and a suggestion that the owner does something anatomically impossible as a response to their note attempting to put the blame elsewhere, or whatever the excuse.

Then I go back home, check all pictures and logs from said mystery, then attempt to brute force it again. So back to the site after reviewing(a picture of the container helps more than one would think.)

So I go back out to last area, check 40+feet away from where it should be, and either find it, or the empty holder where it once was.

That all said...

I tend to avoid mysteries and multis here. They are simply that badly done.

When I come across a puzzle cache I think I can solve, I will solve it right away if it is easy. More often, I will add the puzzle on my Puzzles To Solve bookmark list.

When I have some time I will try to work through some of my To Solve list. How many varies depending on time and energy and puzzle difficulty - usually 3-6. If I can't get the right solution then I will make some notes and move on, leaving it on my To Solve list. If after several attempts (possibly spread over months), I may ask the CO for a hint if I feel I'm close; otherwise, once I give up it goes on my Ignore list. Puzzles requiring offline solving like sudoku get printed out to deal with when I have some time.

I don't solve all puzzles. Some puzzles go straight to my Ignore List without trying to solve them.

I have found about 150 or so, have solved about 200 more, have 100 on my To Solve list, and have probably ignored 200.

Click on "add to ignore list"

Generally, this is my technique as well. B)

If I can't see a clear path to a solution in about five minutes, it's just another cache I don't need to find.

Sometimes I review them and see something I missed the first time around, but that's a rare case.

However, the OP appears to not be a Premium Member, so they don't have an IGNORE list. :(:o

Between the IGNORE list and PQs...pony up for the PM. It will make your Geocaching life much easier in many ways.

To get the key to access the next puzzle, we need to solve the current puzzle and retrieve a clue at the location of the solution.
That is about the meanest thing I have ever heard of (that I remember).
Interesting. To me, it hasn't seemed mean at all. In contrast, Venona's ACTIVITIES have been the highlight of my geocaching year.

To give you a better appreciation for what this annual tradition is all about, here is an explanatory paragraph copied from the overview for the 2012 ACTIVITIES:

Who is Venona? What are ACTIVITIES?

The dastardly Venona claims to be just an "average, everyday embassy employee", but we believe that he is a former Soviet KGB agent with a special interest in the GBA. Since 2002, Venona has led us on an annual multi-stage adventure, with ciphers, photo interpretation, musical clues, mathematical contortions, night hikes, red herrings, and just about anything else he can think of. Each year's ACTIVITIES last several weeks, and culminate in an event where Venona presents us one final challenge.

But this is getting off topic, so I'll leave it at that.

To get the key to access the next puzzle, we need to solve the current puzzle and retrieve a clue at the location of the solution.

Ah, but Venona requires that the area cachers work together, which makes it a lot of fun instead. If it were up to each individual to solve it to get to the next, then I agree that would be mean.

The annual ACTIVITIES have become a Bay Area tradition. It's a great way for new cachers to see how puzzles are solved, because they are done as a group (in the GBA forums) and everybody has to show their work. Venona requires that.

Ah, but Venona requires that the area cachers work together, which makes it a lot of fun instead. If it were up to each individual to solve it to get to the next, then I agree that would be mean.

The annual ACTIVITIES have become a Bay Area tradition. It's a great way for new cachers to see how puzzles are solved, because they are done as a group (in the GBA forums) and everybody has to show their work. Venona requires that.

Nope, you cant force anyone to show your work of how you found the final coordinates. Once you signed the logsheet, you cant delete anyone log. Its ALR to force someone to prove your work. Someone tried that on me and yep he deleted my log. I reported it to GS and they restored my log.

Nope, you cant force anyone to show your work of how you found the final coordinates. Once you signed the logsheet, you cant delete anyone log. Its ALR to force someone to prove your work. Someone tried that on me and yep he deleted my log. I reported it to GS and they restored my log.

Wow. You really don't get it. Not surprising as you have never been involved. I guess we didn't explain it well enough. I recommend going to the GBA website to see how it goes.

It's sad that other areas have the adversarial attitude between the hiders and seekers. We are lucky in the Bay Area to have a very cooperative and friendly caching community.

Wow. You really don't get it. Not surprising as you have never been involved. I guess we didn't explain it well enough. I recommend going to the GBA website to see how it goes.

It's sad that other areas have the adversarial attitude between the hiders and seekers. We are lucky in the Bay Area to have a very cooperative and friendly caching community.

I have read some of the Venona chronicles on the GBA site. I found them very interesting and it looks like great fun. Almost makes me wish I lived in the Bay Area again. I'm sure you all know who Venona is, can you share that here? Some of the things you have to do is simply amazing. I loved the year you had to get some one out in Maryland (?) to go to one of Vinny's Urban Psyco caches to get the key. Hope Venona does not mind, but I stole an idea from him for one of my caches. Maybe if I'm in the Bay area when you have the Order of Venona awards I just might crash the party to meet all the folks.

Well, yes and no. Per the guidelines here, no one is required to do anything other than sign the log, and they will get their smiley. However, Venona's ACTIVITIES are much more than just a handful of smileys, and no one would risk receiving a RED MARK (or even worse, forfeiting the coveted ORDER OF VENONA) by refusing to explain their solution in the forums. Besides, most of the ACTIVITIES are not solved by one individual. Most are solved by multiple people working together towards a joint solution, discussing their work in the forums. That's what makes these ACTIVITIES such a great learning experience.

I'm sure you all know who Venona is, can you share that here?
Of course. Venona is a former Soviet KGB agent with a special interest in the GBA. ("Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.")

Hope Venona does not mind, but I stole an idea from him for one of my caches.
"Only be sure always to call it please 'research'."

Maybe if I'm in the Bay area when you have the Order of Venona awards I just might crash the party to meet all the folks.
You don't need to be in the Bay Area to help solve the ACTIVITIES (although it was pretty much required for those who retrieved the clues this year). And everyone is welcome at the FINAL ACTIVITY EVENT, which was
this year.

I used to look at puzzles when they were published and:

1. if I could solve it within 5-10 minutes I would do it there and then.
  2. If I thought I could see what was required but it was going to take a while, I'd stick it on my to-do list and look at it when I had some spare time.
  3. If I had no ideas within 10 minutes then I would just forget about it.

However in the last year or so we've had a very prolific setter of difficult puzzles in our area and nowadays I rarely even look at new puzzles. I'll occasionally scan the map and have a look at the odd one or two and use the above method to decide if I'm going to have a go or not.

If I'm going to do a puzzle I want to do it myself, I won't ask the CO for a hint and won't ask other cachers for help either.

Edit to add: I've recently solved 3 puzzles by reading the general description, the hint, and past logs, then applying local knowledge to figure out where they had to be without having any attempt at solving the puzzles, which was quite satisfying.

Edited by MartyBartfast

I love puzzle caches. I generally copy and paste the puzzle and related pictures into a word document and print it out so I can work it out on the sheet of paper... I keep my solved puzzles in a folder and I've made a bookmark list of the ones I solved too for my own reference.

at this point I've solved more puzzles than I've found since I like finding a specific type of cache (one that involves a walk, preferably in a park or the woods or on a trail) and quite a few puzzles wind up being P&Gs (in a clever related location to the puzzle)... I prefer not to do P&Gs so if I see it is I usually don't bother going to get it.

If I know the CO and where they live, I post an extremely quick (and possibly a derogatory statement on the ease in which I solved it) found it log, then stake out their house. I follow them when they go check on their cache, because they cannot believe I found it so fast (and are mad at me). I now know where it is.

I like to work puzzles on days when the weather is too ugly to get out and actually cache. I have a small notebook where I write my notes and solutions. Then if I'm in the area or planning a trip I consult my notes. I work many that I never hunt. Just a way to pass the time some days.

What I do is put all the puzzles in my area in GSAK(if you don't have just make a list). Then I start with the easiest and work my way to the harder ones.

Hints

Google is your friend

White type

Page source

Do ones that you know how to do like, math, crosswords, suduko, chemistry, music etc.

Meet other cachers at events and get some ideas from them.

Do a series where most are the same or will help you learn as you move up.

But hey there many out there that are way too hard for me. But some may surprise you.

There were three four puzzles that were very difficult and I was second to solve on them.

Edited by jellis
Well, yes and no. Per the guidelines here, no one is required to do anything other than sign the log, and they will get their smiley. However, Venona's ACTIVITIES are much more than just a handful of smileys, and no one would risk receiving a RED MARK (or even worse, forfeiting the coveted ORDER OF VENONA) by refusing to explain their solution in the forums. Besides, most of the ACTIVITIES are not solved by one individual. Most are solved by multiple people working together towards a joint solution, discussing their work in the forums. That's what makes these ACTIVITIES such a great learning experience.

I'm sure you all know who Venona is, can you share that here?
Of course. Venona is a former Soviet KGB agent with a special interest in the GBA. ("Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.")

Hope Venona does not mind, but I stole an idea from him for one of my caches.
"Only be sure always to call it please 'research'."

Maybe if I'm in the Bay area when you have the Order of Venona awards I just might crash the party to meet all the folks.
You don't need to be in the Bay Area to help solve the ACTIVITIES (although it was pretty much required for those who retrieved the clues this year). And everyone is welcome at the FINAL ACTIVITY EVENT, which was
this year.

Yeah and a double agent devulged the secret files to me. And under cover I crossed enemy lines and in one day starting from the NW side, moved down to the hide from the guard at the border. After I crossed a heavily guarded bridge I entered the forested area. Hearing sounds I quickly climbed over the enemy encampment and crossed the harsh desert to reach the end. Whew! My feet were so sore after all that, thirsty and hungry. But it was fun.

Edited by jellis

Fortunately there are some good cache puzzles in my area. They range from simple and fun to challenging and frustrating. I made the mistake of trying a puzzle when I was a new cacher and initially decided that I didn't like them. Since it's too easy for someone to get discouraged, I don't recommend them for those just starting out. For whatever reason I later gave it another try and now enjoy them.

After reading some of the "How to Solve Geocache Puzzles" articles, I've bookmarked many puzzle solving resources and refer to them when needed. Some I can readily solve, find, and log. Others may take a long time to do. If I can't solve it myself, I'll ask friends or co-workers to look at it. If needed, I'll email the cache owner with ideas and information that I've collected at that point and ask for guidance to steer me in the right direction. Indicating I've thought about the puzzle and made an effort to solve it, allows a greater chance of receiving a response from the cache owner with useful feedback.

Some owners just don't respond to emails, so emailing the last cacher that posted a Found log to ask for advice is also an option. I've done that before with positive results. I've also been contacted by other cachers who are in the stumped boat and ask me for help. I provide whatever assistance I can without giving the answer away.

Then I go back home, check all again, attempt to ask the owner, who never, ever answers any sort of question.

I've never asked the Cache Owner for a puzzle nudge, nor the solution. If you want me to find it, please include all the remedial help necessary, on the page itself. But someday I shall designate a day for new Smilies, and send out PMs asking for everything and anything, so I can finally find Puzzle caches. I've also thought of a "TSFTO" log ("Too Stupid For This One"), just to let COs know someone is fascinated by their puzzle, but is utterly lost. But having to type "TSFTO" for puzzles I can't figure out would mean I'd need to do a TON of logs.

I tend to avoid mysteries and multis here. They are simply that badly done.

How would you know that? I won't assume all the local puzsles are bad (although many of them have proven to be, once solved). It would be great to know in advance which ones are elegant puzzles, and which are basically nasty pranks.

As for the OP, I solve a puzzle by working on it til I have coords or a mess. The mess would mean I was on the wrong track. If I'm lost and can't even figure out where to start, it goes to the bottom of the pile.

Edited by kunarion

What I do is put all the puzzles in my area in GSAK(if you don't have just make a list). Then I start with the easiest and work my way to the harder ones.

Hints

Google is your friend

White type

Page source

Do ones that you know how to do like, math, crosswords, suduko, chemistry, music etc.

But hey there many out there that are way too hard for me. But some may surprise you.

There were three four puzzles that were very difficult and I was second to solve on them.

That is great advice.

One of my tricks is to let MA solve them. She has solved about 150 in the Ottawa area for our next trip. She has also solved 80 on PEI which we will try and grab on one of our trips this fall. She keeps separate databases in GSAK for the puzzles in an area. When she solves them she puts the corrected coordinates for the cache in GSAK. Before loading in the gps, she filters to get only the caches with corrected coords.

We have hidden 180 puzzle caches. I am always willing to give guidance and answer questions about the puzzles. Also, I have no problem with cachers using any method or program to solve our puzzles and I have no problem with a group of cachers going out to find the puzzles, even though only one of them may have solved them.

A few notes on puzzles

We have a caching friend who will give help on his own puzzles but refuses to give help on puzzles that belong to other cachers, without permission from the CO.

The same cacher has a series of puzzles on a nature trail. The caches are 3 years old and he will soon be archiving them to liberate the area for traditionals by other cachers. He recently announced the date that he will archive them, and he has added the correct coords to each cache page, for the benefit of those who have not claimed or solved them yet.

My best caching buddy does not do my Micro Logic puzzle caches. He gets the logs on all of them and if there is a log indicating that maintenance is required, he contacts me for the coords so he can do my maintenance and claim the cache.

How would you know that?

Easy. I first look at said puzzle, rule out the high terrain ones(due to no equipment for it/gravity is not my friend). Then it goes off into groups: Fun "Where am I?"s, "Puzzles for later", and "Uh, what?".

Some of the ones that I think should be doable do turn out to have problems where what the owner wants is not sure, or only known to them. When I hit those, I take a quick look at other ones from the owner, and skip them, because they repeat the problems overall. This problem hits many multis here, too.

As an example: You go to a location, and are asked "What company are you in front of?". Sounds overly simple, but here it can be a problem. For the example, I´ll use a bakery. On one sign, it says "Stadtbäckeri Blah", but is that the name, or is it StadtBäckeri/Konditorei Blah GmbH & Co Kg, as it stands on another smaller sign. There´s the first name problem. Now it goes further: is GmbH & Co Kg as it´s written, or the longer blah for the name. I´ve had problems where it wasn´t the short one, but listed so. And that´s only a small starting problem on something that´s meant as easy. And yes, the coordinates you pull from either comes out as logical when you attempt to go there.

There was one with a picture in the field, that required you to count cows on it. The owner missed the fact that what appeared as one cow, was actually 2 standing near eachother, one with his head up, the other down.

and that´s just a couple small problems that toss a mystery badly off. One of the last ones I did, was a bonus for another mystery. There was several problems, that weren´t the owner´s fault, but tossed it badly off until asking for help, which he answered. (Problem was changes to the park and playground which removed hints and changed them)

Surprisingly, this problem goes away a bit when I go outside my homezone.

How would you know that?

Easy. I first look at said puzzle, rule out the high terrain ones(due to no equipment for it/gravity is not my friend). Then it goes off into groups: Fun "Where am I?"s, "Puzzles for later", and "Uh, what?".

Some of the ones that I think should be doable do turn out to have problems where what the owner wants is not sure, or only known to them. When I hit those, I take a quick look at other ones from the owner, and skip them, because they repeat the problems overall. This problem hits many multis here, too.

As an example: You go to a location, and are asked "What company are you in front of?". Sounds overly simple, but here it can be a problem. For the example, I´ll use a bakery. On one sign, it says "Stadtbäckeri Blah", but is that the name, or is it StadtBäckeri/Konditorei Blah GmbH & Co Kg, as it stands on another smaller sign. There´s the first name problem. Now it goes further: is GmbH & Co Kg as it´s written, or the longer blah for the name. I´ve had problems where it wasn´t the short one, but listed so. And that´s only a small starting problem on something that´s meant as easy. And yes, the coordinates you pull from either comes out as logical when you attempt to go there.

There was one with a picture in the field, that required you to count cows on it. The owner missed the fact that what appeared as one cow, was actually 2 standing near eachother, one with his head up, the other down.

and that´s just a couple small problems that toss a mystery badly off. One of the last ones I did, was a bonus for another mystery. There was several problems, that weren´t the owner´s fault, but tossed it badly off until asking for help, which he answered. (Problem was changes to the park and playground which removed hints and changed them)

Surprisingly, this problem goes away a bit when I go outside my homezone.

If you've attempted the puzzles (in which case you didn't avoid them :anicute:), and they have obvious major flaws, maybe a Bookmark of the worst ones would be useful. What's a tactful bookmark name...? "Caches I'm Still Working On". Maybe. Or if you have vetted all of the puzzles in the area, make a public bookmark "These are good!" of just the unflawed puzzles. I could use that (for caches I intend to try).

Some of the puzzles (as in your two-headed cow example) can be solved with some guessing. That does not make an elegant puzzle, and I don't like the flawed puzzles, but I have solved some of those. I even finished a couple of Multis with stages missing, by deducing coords. Then those Multis were soon archived. :shocked:

Edited by kunarion

I support the view about properly vetting puzzles and even multis. Someone other than the owner should check it out before publication. And I don't mean just finding it... vetting implies checking for all details, the puzzle itself and the hide.

We just had a nice little puzzle / multi combination(?) that was easy to solve, but not correct, although the solution would have made for a nice cache in itself, even if it was the wrong place. After a long day walking in search of the wrong spot involving lots of backtracking (several km on both sides of a river to big to cross other than at one of the bridges, I gave up and figured out the flaw at home later. FTF on another try, but we then explained the flaw and the correction was made by the CO. Point is that should have been done first, to prevent the frustration. I'm a little bit stubborn and also resourceful when it comes to some caches. But I also appreciate that not everyone flits around in cars etc. Even if they did, gas is ridiculous price out here and there is a limited bus service, and bikes are not always convenient for other reasons, like the two only on the bus total.

So always check it thoroughly yourself, then get it thoroughly checked by someone (better plural) who cares enough to do a good job and check all details are correct. I've done it often, in beta or in final form, even when not asked to as above.

Doug 7rxc

If you've attempted the puzzles (in which case you didn't avoid them ), and they have obvious major flaws, maybe a Bookmark of the worst ones would be useful. What's a tactful bookmark name...? "Caches I'm Still Working On". Maybe. Or if you have vetted all of the puzzles in the area, make a public bookmark "These are good!" of just the unflawed puzzles. I could use that (for caches I intend to try).

Some of the puzzles (as in your two-headed cow example) can be solved with some guessing. That does not make an elegant puzzle, and I don't like the flawed puzzles, but I have solved some of those. I even finished a couple of Multis with stages missing, by deducing coords. Then those Multis were soon archived.

Yes, yes. I do actually read them. And to see if someone tends to have the problems alot with their mysteries/multis, I do actually have to try them to find the problem.

I would make a list, but I´m not really a people person, and tact has since been replaced with dry/black humor and somewhat brutal honestly. I think my wife would add it to my list of forbidden things to do when she sees that suggestion. If by chance you would come to this area, I would have no problem pointing out the nice ones when asked. There is the risk that I start babbling away and say alot more than you want to hear of my opinion.

Moving on...

The cow is actually a minor example. Try having one with a name. The number of letters(when just counting) would only ever so slightly be off when used directly, or with simple addition/subtraction. That problem came up in the same puzzle as the cows. The few letters off brought us to a spot within the tolerable "off" of the gps with the area´s signal(was really only about 10 feet). Then came time to multiply, and those few feet were now several tenths of a mile.

I also did the same with a multi with missing stations. I solved the few that I could, and had one or two missing numbers from the final. It gave a small area, so I searched with the hint. Found nothing, emailed the owner, recieved no response to questions about the missing stages, or if I was even in the right area(No, I wasn´t expecting the "Yes, you are correct with your search."). Short version, someone else did a Needs Archive, 2 days before archive, owner repaired the problems.

I´d settle for working/semi-logical puzzles instead of broken elegant ones anyday.

Edited by schattentanz

Hints

Google is your friend

White type

Page source

That is great advice.

One of my tricks is to let MA solve them. She has solved about 150 in the Ottawa area for our next trip. She has also solved 80 on PEI which we will try and grab on one of our trips this fall. She keeps separate databases in GSAK for the puzzles in an area. When she solves them she puts the corrected coordinates for the cache in GSAK. Before loading in the gps, she filters to get only the caches with corrected coords.

We have hidden 180 puzzle caches. I am always willing to give guidance and answer questions about the puzzles. Also, I have no problem with cachers using any method or program to solve our puzzles and I have no problem with a group of cachers going out to find the puzzles, even though only one of them may have solved them.

A few notes on puzzles

We have a caching friend who will give help on his own puzzles but refuses to give help on puzzles that belong to other cachers, without permission from the CO.

The same cacher has a series of puzzles on a nature trail. The caches are 3 years old and he will soon be archiving them to liberate the area for traditionals by other cachers. He recently announced the date that he will archive them, and he has added the correct coords to each cache page, for the benefit of those who have not claimed or solved them yet.

My best caching buddy does not do my Micro Logic puzzle caches. He gets the logs on all of them and if there is a log indicating that maintenance is required, he contacts me for the coords so he can do my maintenance and claim the cache.

I keep 3 database for it.

1)unsolved

2)solved not found

3)solved and found (this may include multis and wherigos)