geocaching golf

emcqc

There used to be a web site that had a couple of GPS games, one of which was GPS golf. You would tell the site where you were located and it would create 18 random "holes" that you would try to get close to. Most of the coords were on private property so you could never really get directly on the hole. You would post the coords that you were able to get to and then others in the area would post where they got and the closet would win the "hole. I can not remember the site but they had 4 or 5 games on it based on a GPS receiver.

There used to be a web site that had a couple of GPS games, one of which was GPS golf. You would tell the site where you were located and it would create 18 random "holes" that you would try to get close to. Most of the coords were on private property so you could never really get directly on the hole. You would post the coords that you were able to get to and then others in the area would post where they got and the closet would win the "hole. I can not remember the site but they had 4 or 5 games on it based on a GPS receiver.

This website still exists, and will probably never go away, seeing as it's run by one guy who remains interested in it, and it has very low traffic, and doesn't cost much to run. I won't name it though. That game didn't really take off, but it still exists. I never tried it. That site has by my count 6 different GPS games, and accepts Geocache listings, although there are less than 1,000 of them, and most are cross-listed. They do have one game that changes every month that has a nice little cult following. I believe the famous Markwell plays it, or used to, at least. :)

Anyways, yeah, someone thought of Geocaching golf. Probably in 2006 or so. :D

well I just thought it might add a new dimension to it for some people.

my thought now is to set out caches on an existing golf course(with approval)and time the cache find on each "hole" for par+-, also to have coordinates at each location taking you close to the next "hole" & the final direction for each would be degrees and the golfer would have to use a compass and pace count to complete each cache.

my thought now is to set out caches on an existing golf course(with approval)and time the cache find on each "hole" for par+-, also to have coordinates at each location taking you close to the next "hole" & the final direction for each would be degrees and the golfer would have to use a compass and pace count to complete each cache.

That's interesting, and certainly different from what snow rules describes over at GPSgames.org. By "each cache", you mean 9 or 18 seperate caches, as opposed to a multi?

Not knocking the idea.... as I think it could be fun..... BUT, consider this:

YOU are the owner of a golf course... do you want non-golfers interfering with those paying and/or member golfers?

I don' thin' so..... your golf course would soon go under as you would have no business before too long. Greens fees are high for a reason. It costs a lot to build/operate/insure a golf course. To have a lot of non-golfer, free-wheeling geocachers wandering about on the course would be a disaster in the making.

YOU are the owner of a golf course... do you want non-golfers interfering with those paying and/or member golfers?

I don' thin' so..... your golf course would soon go under as you would have no business before too long. Greens fees are high for a reason. It costs a lot to build/operate/insure a golf course. To have a lot of non-golfer, free-wheeling geocachers wandering about on the course would be a disaster in the making.

sir Gitchee-Gummee, you may be correct. i was thinking there are trails on courses for carts and i have seen walkers. certainly permission would have to be given.

I do appreciate the comment, often i do not think of all the consequent fall out.

Edited by emcqc

sir Gitchee-Gummee, you may be correct. i was thinking there are trails on courses for carts and i have seen walkers. certainly permission would have to be given.

I do appreciate the comment, often i do not think of all the consequent fall out.

That's interesting, and certainly different from what snow rules describes over at GPSgames.org. By "each cache", you mean 9 or 18 seperate caches, as opposed to a multi?

mr yuck, I was thinking of a cache at each "hole" actually two. first for the coordinate and second for the "putt to the green" using degrees and a compass.

Sir Gitchee-Gumee does have a point. I live up North, where the Golf courses are closed from November to April. Early one November, a 13 yr. old kid hid a micro *ON* a golf course, that is considered "part" of a City Park. In other words, the only way to access it was to walk across multiple fairways. I was an early finder of the cache, and it was fine then, because I shared the fairways with Dog Walkers. I personally put in my log that the cache was on the course, and probably wasn't a very good idea 6 months out of the year! I don't remember if I'm the only one who said anything, but sure enough, around March of the next year, the kid archived it. Now that I think about it, he lived like a 100 miles away, and got away with a "visiting relatives" cache in the first place. :o

Of course with permission, assuming you can get it, I'd say go for it. Keep 'em off those fairways though!

Edited by Mr.Yuck

has anyone ever geocache golfed?

or heard of it...

just a weird idea.....

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Chicago area uses the term "golf cache" as a synonym for a bonus cache. For example, find three traditional caches, each of which holds a portion of a bonus cache's coordinates. Sort of like a par 4 golf hole, especially if you can walk to all four of them on one hike.

Nope... its cache in a ball and whacked from the given coordinates. Now you job as a cacher is to go find that dam ball! :ph34r:

Chasing the ball? Maybe Knowschad would tell us what that's like?

We have a geocache golf course. 9 holes and a clubhouse, you can drive, walk, take a horse, take a ATV whatever. It's near the local campground and a couple hotels. Guess the out of towners like it a lot.

We have one around here on an actual course out in the desert that was abandoned and left for dead. Guess they ran out of money. All the caches are pretty cool too.

Abandoned and left for dead? Interesting. There's a closed golf course in the endless suburbia of Northern New Jersey that was converted to a County Park that I've cached at. It still kind of looks like a golf course. It's pretty much just a walking park, there are no picnic shelters or tables. a bunch of benches though, and I think I remember it had a bandshell. There are a whopping 20 caches on it. A little more than one for every former hole. :)