Do we talk about Geocaching?

MrsMec8

Hello

Very new to all this but I'm completely hooked already!

I've hidden a cache near my house.

Today, when I was sweeping the drive, a treasure hunter came for the cache. When she'd logged the stash she came over to talk to me about the gadget I was using to get the weeds out of my drive.

Should I have mentioned that it was my cache??? I wanted to but didn't know what the etiquette was. :unsure:

Why not? We are a 'community' after-all.

It's most always pleasant to meet a fellow cacher, even when neither are caching.

Noticed this before posting:

The first rule of geocaching is you don't talk about geocaching

I do hope that was a joke. If so, I missed the emoticon.

Of course! Sorry for the poor sarcasm.

Feel free to discuss geocaching with whomever! For whatever reason a lot of cachers seem to see geocaching as a bit of a secret activity. Go ahead and discuss it if someone shows some interest. Why not.

The first rule of geocaching is you don't talk about geocaching

Fight Club quote.... Not to be mistaken with sarcasm

Well there is some truth to the quote. You don't talk about geocaching to muggles to limit the risk of them destroying or moving caches, but feel free to talk to a geocacher if you meet one -- especially if it's your cache.

Third rule of Geocaching : someone yells " get off my property" , GPSr goes dead, calls a DNF, the search is over.

Na, just pull out your badge and say "Crime scene investigation" B)

No you've got it wrong, tell them you are looking for "brick Bugs" A local cacher had someone convinced that there where such things. The cacher was looking at a brick wall, what's he supposed to say? You can't really use the scavenger hunt thing on an apparently solid brick wall. And like stijnhommes said, be careful about telling non-cachers about geocaching, as they could just up and take it, throw it in the trash. But it's worth mentioning ALWAYS tell the police the truth.

We not only talk about geocaching, we live it.

As with any hobby or interest, when you encounter someone who shares it with you, you encounter a potential friend. When I look around at my best friends and favorite acquaintances today, many seem to be geocachers. Some I met on the trail, some I met at events, some I met in these forums.

If you avoid contact you might be missing out on a new best friend. Absolutely say hello

We not only talk about geocaching, we live it.

As with any hobby or interest, when you encounter someone who shares it with you, you encounter a potential friend. When I look around at my best friends and favorite acquaintances today, many seem to be geocachers. Some I met on the trail, some I met at events, some I met in these forums.

If you avoid contact you might be missing out on a new best friend. Absolutely say hello