Overseas Maps

stew sleuth

I'm new to Geocaching, and my husband bought me a Dakota 20 GPS to help me with my new passion. Not being very techy, I am finding a big learning curve! My most immediate problem is that I am going to London on business, and that is where I was introduced to geocaching, so I would love to try it there again. I've downloaded several caches in my area, but wonder if I will be able to bring up a London map while I'm over there. I just had this happen in Seoul, and while I had all the caches downloaded from gc.com, I couldn't access a Seoul map, so couldn't do anything. The GPS kept bringing up my map at home, showing I was 6890 miles away.

Is there a way to access these maps within my GPS, or do I have to download them in from somewhere else? How do I do that?

Any help would be appreciated!

Stew Sleuth

I'm new to Geocaching, and my husband bought me a Dakota 20 GPS to help me with my new passion. Not being very techy, I am finding a big learning curve! My most immediate problem is that I am going to London on business, and that is where I was introduced to geocaching, so I would love to try it there again. I've downloaded several caches in my area, but wonder if I will be able to bring up a London map while I'm over there. I just had this happen in Seoul, and while I had all the caches downloaded from gc.com, I couldn't access a Seoul map, so couldn't do anything. The GPS kept bringing up my map at home, showing I was 6890 miles away.

Is there a way to access these maps within my GPS, or do I have to download them in from somewhere else? How do I do that?

Any help would be appreciated!

Stew Sleuth

Without knowing what maps you already have installed, it's hard to say whether you need to install additional maps. If you do need or want to install additional maps, you can get free ones using OpenStreetMap data here. I'm sure others will respond here with other map source suggestions.

If your GPS was still showing your location as being at home, you probably hadn't waited long enough for your GPS to settle. When making a significant location change like that, it can take as long as 30 minutes for it to adjust to the new location. If possible, leave it out with a clear view of the sky to help it acquire satellites more quickly. When I traveled last year to London, and then later South Africa, I had to wait 15-20 minutes each time before it started showing my new location.