Auto log in feature lost

acachebox

My auto log in feature of saved user name and password are gone from Fire Fox when signing into Geocaching.com. Not sure if this is a Fire Fox or Groundspeak problem. It has happened before with Groundspeak and that is why I question where the problem is. My user name and password are saved and do work when signing into the forum.

Any ideas?

My auto log in feature of saved user name and password are gone from Fire Fox when signing into Geocaching.com. Not sure if this is a Fire Fox or Groundspeak problem. It has happened before with Groundspeak and that is why I question where the problem is. My user name and password are saved and do work when signing into the forum.

Any ideas?

Is it working now? When did you first discover this (the most recent logging-out problem)? I just now tried it, and discovered I was logged out of both sites, in Firefox. Not unusual, since I don't use FF much, and so it may typically be logged out during one of Geocaching.com's bad days (or whatever "expires" the "keep me logged in" thing on a random basis). But it's staying logged in at the moment.

Is it working now? When did you first discover this (the most recent logging-out problem)? I just now tried it, and discovered I was logged out of both sites, in Firefox. Not unusual, since I don't use FF much, and so it may typically be logged out during one of Geocaching.com's bad days (or whatever "expires" the "keep me logged in" thing on a random basis). But it's staying logged in at the moment.

This is a mystery.It is now working even though there is NO indication in Fire Fox that the password has been saved. FF never asked to save the PW and UN it just started working again. This ha happened before and solved itself then just as mysteriously than also but that time FF did show the PW and UN as saved.

This is a mystery.It is now working even though there is NO indication in Fire Fox that the password has been saved. FF never asked to save the PW and UN it just started working again. This ha happened before and solved itself then just as mysteriously than also but that time FF did show the PW and UN as saved.

I wonder if you are confusing the 'password auto-complete' feature in Firefox and the 'keep me signed in' feature from the geocaching.com website. If you are using keep me signed in feature then you will not see any indication in Firefox that the password has been saved.

If you want to be sure that you are using the Firefox auto-complete feature then logout of geocaching.com. When you log back in make sure that you leave the check box for keep me signed in unchecked.

I wonder if you are confusing the 'password auto-complete' feature in Firefox and the 'keep me signed in' feature from the geocaching.com website. If you are using keep me signed in feature then you will not see any indication in Firefox that the password has been saved.

If you want to be sure that you are using the Firefox auto-complete feature then logout of geocaching.com. When you log back in make sure that you leave the check box for keep me signed in unchecked.

You point is well taken.

I checked the Keep Me Logged In box and I believe that is what is allowing me to auto log in now. However in the past the same UN & PW feature in FF was enacted in the FF tool options and that worked.

It will remain a mystery but it is working as to why it is different that all other web pages I use but it is working.

Thanks

Looks like I spoke too soon

I removed history when closing FF and now the auto sign in does not work on the Geocaching web site and does not ask if I want to save the UN and PW. However the Forum site did ask to save UN and PW and that works.

The problem is with the main site.

I signed in yesterday on another computer using FF but did not check the save PW box. This is the problem when I got home. Lost the auto sign in feature.

Edited by acachebox

Neither the Geocaching website nor the forums will ask you to save your UN and PW. The webpages have check boxes on the log in to 'remember your password' or 'keep you logged in'. The webpages keep you logged in via cookies. If you are getting a pop-up window asking you if you'd like to save your UN and PW then it is Firefox's password auto-complete feature that is doing this.

Clearing your history usually fixes the problem. Did you select everything for the time range and make sure that cookies is selected under details? Did you make sure that you were logged out of geocaching.com before you cleared the history?

Neither the Geocaching website nor the forums will ask you to save your UN and PW. The webpages have check boxes on the log in to 'remember your password' or 'keep you logged in'. The webpages keep you logged in via cookies. If you are getting a pop-up window asking you if you'd like to save your UN and PW then it is Firefox's password auto-complete feature that is doing this.

Clearing your history usually fixes the problem. Did you select everything for the time range and make sure that cookies is selected under details? Did you make sure that you were logged out of geocaching.com before you cleared the history?

At this point I can get the Forum to save my UN &PW using Fire Fox option. I can not get Geocaching to save it by either FF or the Remember Me function in Geo. I also have the same problem with one other forum. All other web site are OK and will sign me in directly.

If you've deleted your cookies and checked the auto-complete to see if geocaching.com was not listed then I'm at a loss, sorry. Those two have always worked for me.

Not sure this is a technical answer but this is what happened. After all forms of deleting Key3.db, signons.sqlite, and reading all forms of useless articles on Fire Fox it came down to rest setting my cookies management to this. Remember search and history, accept cookies from sites, accept 3rd party cookies, and keep until I close FF.

Like I say I don't know why this worked because I am sure they were the setting I had. But now thinks work.

If you've deleted your cookies and checked the auto-complete to see if geocaching.com was not listed then I'm at a loss, sorry. Those two have always worked for me.

Not sure this is a technical answer but this is what happened. After all forms of deleting Key3.db, signons.sqlite, and reading all forms of useless articles on Fire Fox it came down to rest setting my cookies management to this. Remember search and history, accept cookies from sites, accept 3rd party cookies, and keep until I close FF.

Like I say I don't know why this worked because I am sure they were the setting I had. But now thinks work.

I'm glad that you got it worked out and thank for posting your solution. I am sure other people will find it useful.

That is weird. If you had cookies turned off I would think that you would also have issues even trying to login. Third party cookies shouldn't matter because 99.9% of the time they are used by ad sites to track you from website to website. Remembering search and history shouldn't matter either. Keep until close however might have been a issue if you had it set to delete forms and cookies. But even so you should have been prompted by FireFox each time you logged in to save you PW and UN.

The problem is back.

I have reread this thread and tried all the suggestions note here and no effect.

Fire Fox does not ask me if I want to save the UN & PW when i first open the site. Checking the Keep Me Signed In box in Geocaching keeps me signed in as long as the computer remains on but does not reopen Gepcaching.com the next time I open it.

In an older thread there was mention of deleting 2 files to address this issue. I can't find that tread so if anyone knows what they are please advise.