Where do you get your geocaching stuff?

nynjagrrrl

I was wondering where other people got their stuff for geocaching. Do you make your own geocache containers or do you buy them? Do you have signature swag that you leave behind? I just started geocaching and am addicted! I did not know how popular it is and how many people sell geocaching items. Some of the caches on here are impossibly small. Not sure if I could find them.

http://www.etsy.com/treasury/Nzc3NDY5M3wyNzIwNzQ0Mjcx/geocachers-spending-cash

I use mostly Lock n Locks for containers. Since WalMart stopped carrying them I buy them online, where I can get a set of 8, 9 or 10 Lock n Locks of varying sizes and shapes for about 20 bucks.

I've also bought specialty containers at mega events where there are usually vendors selling all kinds of geo items.

As far as swag items, I get them in drug stores, dollar stores, grocery stores, home improvement stores, outdoors stores and big box department stores. I'm always on the lookout for cheap, useful items to place in caches

Ammo cans -- wherever you can find 'em. They used to be real cheap but with the advent of geocaching, prices have steadily risen.

Lock & Lock® plastic food containers. Sort of like Rubbermaid, Tupperware and the (real) cheap disposables -- but L&L containers are head-and-shoulders better than the others. Be wary of "knock-offs" that look like L&L as they do not hold up as well. A real L&L will say so on the lid!

Bison tubes are available online. Google it.

Most any pharmacy has pill containers -- sort of like Bison tubes, but you MUST change out the O-ring that comes with them. The original one that comes with them dies within weeks out-of-doors (any hardware store -- cheap).

Sig Items: Some print their own 'business card', but they turn to mush in the bottom of a cache after a while.

Some make or have made very nice Sig Items of their own. Some use (real) poker chips imprinted with their username (Google, again).

These make for super Sig Items, not necessarily cheap, but some collect and make nice displays with them.

SWAG: Just about anything you want. Many frequent 'Dollar' stores to stock up. We prefer not. We do find lots of stuff at garage/yard/moving sales for pennies on the dollar -- quality is usually better and things are cheaper to boot!

Recently found suppliers of foreign coins (Google, again). Youngsters (and adults) treasure foreign coins.

1. Film cans = Ebay

2. Match Holders = Wallmart

A. #17 o-ring Spare Gaskets @ Loews

3. Bison = Internet ( try to get SS or brass )

A. #7 o-ring spares @ Loews

4. Ammo Cans = Army Surplus Stores

5. Locking Lid plastic containers = Wallmart

6. Mag. Keyholders = almost everywhere

7. Fake Rocks = Ace Hardware or internet

8. Plastic Pipe & Fittings = Loews

A. Slip on ( removable) test caps can be bought on-line making a container second only to the ammo can.

9. Baby Soda Bottles ( preforms) = internet ( Steve Spangler Science )

10. Neodymium magnets = ebay ( making your own mag. container )

11. J-B Weld Epoxy for fastening magnets = Loews

12. Log Sheets = create them with a spreadsheet or other program....print and cut out .

13. Small ziplocks to hold log sheets = craft stores like Michael s.

14. Swag = Dollar stores, etc

15. Plastic ties ( black) and #14 solid core wire = Loews ( hanging and attaching caches )

16. Krylon Fusion ( for plastic) for painting containers ( hunter green, brown, black, etc)...don't forget to sand.

Note on o-rings....Viton material is best but may cost more than you're container...Buena-N is fine.

There are great, original caches out there but the above will get you going for openers.

lock n lock---Ross Dress for less. (funny that they got it LOL)

J-B Weld or any epoxy---Any stores with a hardware dept. (stay away from hot glue and I do use super glue on some things but epoxy is the best for outdoors)

Swag --- Dollar Stores.

Rite in the Rain---Jerrys. (its like Loews but local owned. A cacher works there and I think he got something to do with it since he works in the Purchasing Dept)

Ammo Cans--- Surplus Stores.

Rare Earth magnets--- Woodcraft but Jerry's got them, but only small sizes.

Regular magnets--- Jerry's

Super size magnets---Wrecking Yards (I buy old broken speakers for the magnets part)

Funny caches --- toy stores or Dollar Stores (I glue a magnet and container to it) This is a perfect way to get fav points.

The rest of the stuff is bought online since they are harder to find.

I think the key of finding places locally to buy supply is keep your eyes open for anything caching.

Last, you have to "like" shopping to know where to get things. BTW, I hate shopping.

Edited by SwineFlew

Old pill bottles and buy O rings sometimes

Ammo cans on sale.... got 12 at five bucks each... Plano with seal and lock

Metal tins from Dollar store

Rare earth magnets from K&J Magnetics.... very strong and very small

J-B Weld to attach the magnets

SWAG from Dollar Stores

Flat black camo paint from Walmart with a touch of gray sprayed over to create shadow effect

1. Film cans = Ebay

Ebay?

If you pop into your local camera development shop and ask for them, they'll either give them to you for nothing, or save them for you.

I did a quick round a year or two ago, and had almost a hundred good film cans between three stores (same mall).

To the OP...

Swag - Thrift store

Containers - Walmart (Lock & locks), surplus shop - Ammo cans

Geocaching Specific Stuff - Wife's online store (aka second floor office in the house)

Bison Tubes:

Here in Canada you can get the equivalent of bison tubes at Lee Valley. They call them mini containers. I bought some in person at their Ottawa store and their Halifax store and also ordered online. They ship to the US. The containers are great and never had problems with the ring.

Magnets

I get earth magnets from Lee Valley also. They have a large selection of sizes . I get 1/4 inch circular ones which are small and powerful. They work great for magnetic micros

Strangely the employees have no idea about geocaching

1. Film cans = Ebay

Ebay?

If you pop into your local camera development shop and ask for them, they'll either give them to you for nothing, or save them for you.

I did a quick round a year or two ago, and had almost a hundred good film cans between three stores (same mall).

To the OP...

Swag - Thrift store

Geocaching Specific Stuff - Wife's online store (aka second floor office in the house)

I checked two months ago and only Walgreens had them. Costco, Walmart, etc do not process film anymore (at least in my area) and Walgreens said they would stop soon.

Edited by badger10

1. Film cans = Ebay

Ebay?

To the OP...

Swag - Thrift store

I checked two months ago and only Walgreens had them. Costco, Walmart, etc do not preocess film anymore (at least in my area) and Walgreens said they would stop soon.

Same here, they are getting rarer as time go along.

Wow, must be nice. Or tempting at least. Mind if you send me the website-if you don't want to post it on here a PM would be Ok.

It's good and bad having a geocaching store. The up side, I can grab what ever I want when I want.

The bad, we don't get to really enjoy events as much as we're behind a table. People also assume we make actual money from being vendors.

My wife's store is Up North Tracks (http://UpNorthTracks.com).

Other then the geobike coins, there really won't be much of interest to those south of the border.