OK, so I'm taking the kids tomorrow.

higglepiggle

Hi!

I can't explain how I have even ended up here. One thing leads to another, and now tomorrow I'm taking the kids and we are 'treasure hunting' as I've called it. I have downloaded the cgeo app and have got 3 caches that seem close to each other.

I don't really know what to do once we get there. I figure I log onto the app and use the compass/gps/something to try and get us close to the action. The actual knowing what direction to walk bit and where to stop and start looking bit is what I'm hazy on.

Wish me luck!

Thanks!

Find the compass page on the app and follow the arrow til you get as close as you can, which may be within 10-20 feet. Then you want to start looking for places to hide things.

Look at the cache pages before you go and find caches that are larger to start. Also be sure to take a look at the cache description and hint.

If its a micro it may be harder to find, but could be magnetic, so you could look for metal objects for it to be on. Under benches are popular.

If its a wooded area it could be covered with a rock or sticks.

Sometimes the cache name is a hint too.

If you have trouble you can look at the logs of other cachers. Sometimes people will give a clue in their log.

Most of all, enjoy the together time and have fun!

The first time out with your kids I would pick caches that arent micros. Kids tend to like containers that have something other than a log in it. Most importantly have fun while your out and you and the kids will be addicted in no time. Follow your compass on C:geo until you get within about 20 feet, then start looking around for where you think it may be. If you dont have any luck then read your hint provided by the cache owner. Dont get discouraged if you dont find one, but make sure and log that you did not find it. This is the only way a cache owner may know if there is a problem with on of their caches.

Don't forget to look at the difficulty rating of the cache too. You need to look for a "d" rating of 1 to 1.5 to begin with until you get the idea of what to look for. Also check the logs before you go to check that the cache has been found recently, particularly when caching with kids. Nothing worse than searching for something which has been missing for 6 months. Happy caching!

Edited by whh0

Well to start off with you are NOT treasure hunting. And using Cgeo is against the terms and conditions of this website, won't get into how.

Anyway you will have a compass, arrow or some kind of pointer. follow it and when you get within 5 or 10 meters start looking. You sing the Logbook. TRADE UP OR EVEN for anything that may-or just as likely not contain. To start with look for easy caches nothing above Difficulty/terrain of 1.5/1.5 and look for a small size or larger cache.

As others have mentioned, geocaching isn't really a "treasure hunt". I prefer the term "scavenger hunt" because the things you're looking for are essentially worthless, and the point is the hunt itself.

Also, with kids, depending on their ages, sometimes it can be helpful to take them to cache locations where you know where the cache is. It isn't essential, but it helps avoid the situation where no one can find anything, and the kids just get frustrated and board.

And here's some general advice that I've posted before:

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20ft from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

TDM, gosh thanks for the helpful welcome. There might be things you don't agree with but this was my first post and the first two parts of your reply are telling me off!

Anyway, the kids coped with me calling it a treasure hunt as they know it's not literally a treasure we are looking for. Just a thingy that could be any size or shape. I did make sure as suggested that we search for an easy find and something larger rather than smaller.

I am unsure as to why I can't mention that app that can't be mentioned, but in any case we failed miserably! User error totally-my error. I couldnot for the life of me figure out which way we needed to walk. In the glare of the sunlight I simply didn't register that the compass thing had an arrow pointing the way. I thought the arrow was refering to north-or something!

Anyway, dumb newbie.

I later got an email saying someone found the cache we were looking for, after us! So it's findable. Will try again now I recognise an arrow as an arrow!

Nira, that is a great idea to find the cache myself first. I feel very grumpy with myself because of the arrow issue-so do want to go back and find the jolly thing.

Thanks all

Edited by higglepiggle

My kids also call it a treasure hunt..the best "treasure" my 6yr old found this weekend was this pen/bobble head that stuck to a tabletop.. he even took his treasure to school to show his friends after carrying it around since he found it on Saturday afternoon! hehee It had the logo of a local business and probably came from someone's office, but to my 6yr old who found this particular cache first, it was treasure. For hubby and I the real treasure is getting to spend time with our boys, having fun, and seeing them occasionally even work together to find a particularly well hidden cache. My 6yr old however really likes to claim small items he finds in caches, from a bobble head to an eraser shaped like an ice cream, to him they are all treasures because he found them and loves them.

Edited by SquirrelsGoneWild

My kids also call it a treasure hunt..the best "treasure" my 6yr old found this weekend was this pen/bobble head that stuck to a tabletop.. he even took his treasure to school to show his friends after carrying it around since he found it on Saturday afternoon! hehee It had the logo of a local business and probably came from someone's office, but to my 6yr old who found this particular cache first, it was treasure. For hubby and I the real treasure is getting to spend time with our boys, having fun, and seeing them occasionally even work together to find a particularly well hidden cache. My 6yr old however really likes to claim small items he finds in caches, from a bobble head to an eraser shaped like an ice cream, to him they are all treasures because he found them and loves them.

:) Loved reading this just now. Adorable!

My 12 year old son is Autistic, so he gets pretty much the same joy of discovery that your younger children get. A while ago he scored some "Glitter Glue" ... awesome. : )

Just remember that when you take something out of a cache you are supposed to replace it with something or equal or greater value. That shouldnt be to hard since most caches are filled with junk these days. I would also suggest that you find a local cacher who is willing to show you the ropes. This will eliminate a lot of the problems up front and make your experience a lot more fun. Don't worry if you don't always find what you are looking for. I dont find all the caches I am looking for and I have been caching since 2002.

Well to start off with you are NOT treasure hunting. And using Cgeo is against the terms and conditions of this website, won't get into how.

Anyway you will have a compass, arrow or some kind of pointer. follow it and when you get within 5 or 10 meters start looking. You sing the Logbook. TRADE UP OR EVEN for anything that may-or just as likely not contain. To start with look for easy caches nothing above Difficulty/terrain of 1.5/1.5 and look for a small size or larger cache.

Nice TDM22...I agree, trade up or even, but maybe you need to check the 2 Geocaching 101 definitions of Geocaching I found right here on geocaching.com...and I quote...

"Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."

and another...

"Geocaching is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology and then share the geocache’s existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS unit can then try to locate the geocache."

Yes, it said treasure. So treasure hunt away everyone and have fun!!! You too TDM22!

Yes, Groundspeak uses the term "treasure hunt" to describe geocaching. That doesn't mean that the trade items found in geocaches are really treasure the way most people think of treasure when they hear the term "treasure hunt". (That's part of why I use the term "scavenger hunt" instead.)

While you could classify it as a treasure hunt, and Groundspeak does use that term we shouldn't. For one thing-and there are a LOT of complaints about this-lots of caches don't have swag. People just take and take but don't leave anything, or leave trash. For another some caches are not big enough for "treasure" or SWAG-a bison tube for example. It's not that I was getting mad or trying to be mean, just trying to make a point not to expect treasure. It can kinda be a letdown especiall for the younger kids when they expect treasure, toys whatever and find a piece of paper.