iPhone 5 GPS discussion

thebruce0

With the announcement this week of the iPhone 5, I don't believe there was any coverage of the internal GPS hardware specs.

I thought it would be informative to have a thread to discuss iPhone 5 specific experiences or news / reviews / data that people come across.

Obviously hands-on from new owners won't be for a short while, but until then, has anyone seen or heard word of the GPS specifications of the 5 or if there are even any improvements?

Disclaimer: Please keep this thread on topic. I don't want this to turn into a place for GPS vs smartphone debate, which gps device is better. Please try to keep replies to objective discussions of the iPhone 5's technical capabilities, or improvements over previous models, and any personal experiences. tnx

I don't believe gps support has changed in this iteration: A-GPS, Glonass, Cell ID, Wi-Fi positioning... but with the internals being upgraded a bit and iOS 6 on the horizon, how does the iPhone 5 fare in practice

If anyone's planning to get the 5 at launch or very soon, please come back and share your experiences :)

Edited by thebruce0

All I've seen is Apple's site lists the tech spec on the iPhone 5 as: GPS/GLONASS.

They also list the iPhone 4s as GPS/GLONASS

The iPhone 5 is barely any improvement over the iPhone 4s... A few more pixels, slightly thinner, a smaller(improved efficiency) processor, and a new proprietary connector.

I think I will be upgrading from my iPhone 4s to something Android.

I didn't even think about better GPS with the 5, so I'll be watching this. I do love it on the 4S but if it's better, that would be great. Improved battery life with GPS use would be huge even if that was the only change.

@atlas cached - I have a 4S and a Samsung Galaxy S and there is NO comparison. The battery on the Android lasts about 2 hours, the interface is horrid. I think you'd hate it after an Iphone. I do and can't wait until the contract runs out so I can pitch it.

Edited by Understandblue

Yeah, regardless of Android, I'd presume the battery would be better in the 5, and with better processing internals the GPS may be a bit faster. At this point it's still speculation tho.

What I'm suggesting for people who are upgrading, unless you really really really want the iPhone 5, my recommendation for upgrade has changed. I upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S because its improvement over the 4 was pretty significant. But, the 5 isn't really all the improved from a hardware standpoint over the 4S. I don't think it's worth upgrading to the 5 from the 4S, but now seeing how small the gap is, I'm also iffy about whether it's worth upgrading from the 4.

I think if Apple wants to regain some lead, the 5S is going to have to be a much bigger leap in hardware, so barring strong desires, I think the 4 may sufficient for a while until we find out about the next iteration :)

Anyway... I'm hoping at least the there's some noticeable improvement in its GPS features, from battery life to accuracy and speed.

I wonder if the Apple Store would let someone take a display 5 out for a geocaching test run ;)

Cited elsewhere online, blueprints provided by Apple, give dimensions for case manufacturers. Advice on the prints - don't make metal on metal contact with aluminum parts of the phone, don't obstruct the rear glass portions with metal - seem to hint the case is easily scratched and/or that the glass areas are radio-transparent cutouts for the some of the antennae. Just guessing - don't know if that's mainly for WiFi, cellular, GPS, or any combination thereof.

Is the 4s GPS better than the one in the 4? Because I have the latter, and if going to a 5 would be an improvement over the GPS in the 4 (even if it is no better than the 4s), that would be extra incentive for me to upgrade. Mind you, I'd like to upgrade anyway at some point, but a better GPS would certainly be another reason. :)

Well, geekbench is showing huge improvements to the 5 over the 4S (including other smartphones)

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-5-2/purported-iphone-5-geekbench-result-beats-top-android-phones/

Although the ratings have all been altered just a bit.

Nonetheless, the 5 still more than doubles the 4S in processor power. How much of an effect it has on GPS, not sure yet. Who's getting one today? =)

So far, the Iphone 5 seems to be working well for me with both the Groundspeak app and Geosphere. Decent accuracy. Responsive.

I was pleasantly surprised that Google maps came up in the Groundspeak app's navigation screen instead of the Apple variation. It would have been nice if my saved lists had migrated with the phone, but I can redo them.

I obviously have not gotten a chance to use it extensively, but so far I have had no issues.

Edited by geodarts

I was pleasantly surprised that Google maps came up in the Groundspeak app's navigation screen instead of the Apple variation.

Are you sure it's running on iOS6?

Or do you see the "Google" logo in the lower right? Because that appears to be added by the app, not a result of the actual map data being loaded. I'm still seeing the map tiles as Apple Maps, but with "Google" in the corner.

(this, by itself, is a whole other issue =P)

You are right. Upon closer reflection the Groundspeak app just added the google logo, which was the first thing that caught my eye - that and the map settings sources which stated google. So that's too bad - but as an upgrade from the 3GS, I am happy. The camera is probably more important to me so I have been spending more time with the photo apps.

as an upgrade from the 3GS, I am happy. The camera is probably more important to me so I have been spending more time with the photo apps.

Ah, upgrade from the 3GS must have been fantastic :D I upgraded to the 4S from the 3GS and it was a mighty fine pleasure :)

My 3 showed up today. Playing with one a bit it seems pretty nice. I like the Maps app in iOS6.

3? As in iPhone 3? :o I don't think iOS6 even runs on the 3. Unless you mean 3GS, but afaik Apple isn't selling them any more anywhere, or even supporting it. I must have missed something here, hehe

I have the iPhone 5 and I am having an issue with the way I search for geocaches. With my 4 (before ios6) I could type in my address, click on a geocache as we all do and go to "VIEW LARGER MAP" on the right side. When I did this it would pull up the big map and I could scroll around for miles and touch a cache and it would open a new page to that cache. MY PROBLEM IS THAT I CAN NO LONGER TOUCH/SELECT THE CACHES FROM THAT LARGER MAP. Is it something I have done on accident? Is it something to do with the iOS? Is it something that is now part of the premium membership (I am basic)? If anyone has any insight I would be really appreciative.

What exactly is the problem? Is it that the pins you used to be able to select are no longer there, or is it that the map looks very very different?

In iOS 6 Apple updated the maps they use, which affects every app that used the native maps system, including Groundspeak's Geocaching app. Even though the corner says Google, it's actually Apple maps. I don't see how that map tile change would affect the pins from a search though.

Everything looks the same on the map showing the containers, multis, question marks, smiley faces etc but I used to be able to "click" one and it would show a box with the description. I could then click on the title and it would take me to a new page for that geocache. None of that is possible now.

...showed up today...

Now that you've had it a few days -- how does the GPS seem compared to earlier ones? Any noticeable difference?

Hard for me to say as I haven't used one of the earlier ones. The GPS worked fine this past weekend for driving directions during Carmageddon II

Everything looks the same on the map showing the containers, multis, question marks, smiley faces etc but I used to be able to "click" one and it would show a box with the description. I could then click on the title and it would take me to a new page for that geocache. None of that is possible now.

Ok that is odd. Unfortunately I'm no help, mine is working fine. Perhaps report it as an app bug to be addressed, in an independent thread. Someone should take note of it.

I think maybe his will help. I do not use an app. I go to the geocaching.com website through The Safari browser. I type in the address where I live and select any geocache. This is where I select "view larger map". It is on the right side of the page. It opens a new window and I use this map to scroll around and see the geocaches. This is where I used to be able to "tap" a geocache and it would bring up the small description box that I could then click on and it would again open a new page in safari for that geocache. I could go to that page and select more geocaches and it would open pages for each one. This way I could have the pages loaded up and as I found them I could log them and close the pages as I hunted. Now I can not "tap" on the caches on that map. If anyone with an iPhone hunts like this and upgraded to the 5 let me know if this option still works and how I fix it. Thanks again and happy hunting.

Now I can not "tap" on the caches on that map. If anyone with an iPhone hunts like this and upgraded to the 5 let me know if this option still works and how I fix it.

As to whether it is still working, I am using the iphone 5 and went through the process you described and it worked for me. I tapped a geocache on the map and a popup box allowed me to click on the cache and open its page. As to how to fix it . . . .

Edited by geodarts

I an shopping for a used iPhone 4S and in the process have read up on the GPS specs for both the 4S and iPhone 5.

iPhone 4S

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/apple-iphone-4s-review-att-verizon/9

“MDM6610 inside the 4S inherits the same Qualcomm GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) Gen8 support, namely GPS and its Russian equivalent, GLONASS. The two can be used in conjunction at the same time and deliver a more reliable 3D fix onboad MDM6610, which is what the 4S does indeed appear to be using. GPS and GLONASS are functionally very similar, and combined support for GPS and GLONASS at the same time is something most modern receivers do now. There are even receivers which support the EU's standard, Galileo, though it isn't completed yet. This time around, Apple is being direct about its inclusion of GLONASS. The GPS inside MDM6610 fully supports standalone mode, and assisted mode from UMTS, GSM, OMA, and gpsOneXTRA.”

iPhone 5

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/19

“Like the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 4 CDMA before it, Apple has gone with the GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) leveraging both GPS and Russian GLONASS which lives entirely on the Qualcomm baseband. In the case of the iPhone 4S and 4 CDMA, that was onboard MDM6610 and MDM6600 respectively, both of which implemented Qualcomm's gpsOneGen 8 with GLONASS tier. Going to on-baseband GNSS is really the way of the future, and partially the reason why so many of the WLAN, BT, and FM combos don't include any GNSS themselves (those partners know it as well). In this scheme GNSS simply uses a dedicated port on the transceiver for downconversion, additional filtering (on RTR8600), and then processing on the baseband. The advantage of doing it all here is that often it eliminates the need for another dedicated antenna for GNSS, and also all of the assist and seed information traditionally needed to speed up getting a GPS fix already exists basically for free on the baseband. We're talking about both a basic location seed, precision clock data, in addition to ephemeris. In effect with all this already existing on the baseband, every GPS start is like a hot start.”

“With MDM9615 now being the baseband inside iPhone 5, not a whole lot changes when it comes to GNSS. MDM9615 implements gpsOneGen 8A instead of just 8, and I dug around to figure out what all has changed in this version. In version 8A Qualcomm has lowered power consumption and increased LTE coexistence with GPS and GLONASS, but otherwise functionality remains the same. MDM9x25 will bring about gpsOneGen 8B with GLONASS, but there aren’t any details about what changes in that particular bump.

I spent a lot of time playing with the iPhone 5 GNSS to make sure there aren’t any issues, and although iOS doesn’t expose direct NMEA data, things look to be implemented perfectly. Getting good location data is now even more important given Apple’s first party turn by turn maps solution. Thankfully fix times are fast, and getting a good fix even indoors with just a roof between you and clear sky is still totally possible.”

"Thus, the Verizon iPhone 4 and 4S this changed to an internal planar inverted F antenna (PIFA) which is extremely common in the smartphone space. The iPhone 5 continues this PIFA and internal choice but redesigns it once more. Apple is required to report gain and output power as part of their FCC filing, and we can see that 2.4 GHz gain is slightly improved on the iPhone 5, while gain on the 5 GHz band varies wildly across the various bands (which have different regulatory constrains)."