a brew when out and about.

Teacosies

I know a lot of cachers/walkers like a brew when out and about.

Was thinking of buying a vango Compact Gas Stove & Micro 100 or 250 Gas Cartridge as a starter see how I get on dont want the expense of a jetboil at the mo.

Would a tin cup be ok to boil the water in?

What about a wind break - do I need one?

What's wrong with a flask?

Yuk!!! Tea needs to be made fresh with boiling water :)

I agree with both replies. I would only ever drink 'flask tea' if there was no other choice. 'Flask coffee' is an acceptable winter warmer IMHO though. Personally, with all we have to carry, we wouldn't contemplate carrying a stove and tea/coffee making gubbins too but I know that some cachers do. We do have a flask of coffee in the winter but it always stays in the car for our return.

I wasn't certain if the wind break question was serious (I was struggling with the vision of a cacher walking from cache to cache, carrying one of those stripey beach numbers) but if it is, my solution would be from nature. Trees/hedges aren't portable but there are usually plenty of them on the trail to shelter from the breeze

I wasn't certain if the wind break question was serious (I was struggling with the vision of a cacher walking from cache to cache, carrying one of those stripey beach numbers) ... to shelter from the breeze

Was thinking more of something about a foot high that would be placed against the wind, But I do like the other option [:D]

Would a tin cup be ok to boil the water in?

What about a wind break - do I need one?

A tin cup will heat easily, but you run a serious repeated risk of burning your hand when lifting it off the stove.

If you can tell the difference between tea from a flask and tea made with boiling water then you're just not walking far enough or climbing high enough...

Flask of hot water.

Tea bags/inst coffee/inst hot choc/oxo cubes...

Can then decide what I want, when I want it!

Thats what I do at the mo, but the flask/water doesn't keep its heat after a 4+ hours.

Two flasks.

One with me. One in the car for use on return.

But. Must admit, the thought of being able to 'Brew up' on return to the car had crossed my mind on more than one occasion! :D

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Flask of hot water.

Thats what I do at the mo, but the flask/water doesn't keep its heat after a 4+ hours.

Two flasks.

But. Must admit, the thought of being able to 'Brew up' on return to the car had crossed my mind on more than one occasion! :D

I looked into the possibility of getting a microwave for the car, so I could have hot pies.

Flask of hot water.

Two flasks.

I looked into the possibility of getting a microwave for the car, so I could have hot pies.

That's all very well if you can afford the Tax.

Oh the options:

When needed is amazing what a great feeling sweet flask tea gives. Nothing beats it when really in need. Even brewing doesn't have that weird feeling; perhaps mainly nostalgia creeping in though. And more likely Rose-Tinted glasses.

But then there are other times when it’s all about that break and taking timeout to boil up the water. It always seems just the right amount of time to recover.

I too was looking at the jetboil and it does seem great. I however would like to try one first. The old Army hexi burnersare not bad though slow and dirty. Buy the right mug and it makes a lot of tea and placed straight on the stove. It is cheap and not exactly heavy or large. In winter I will often have one as a backup but I’ve never had call enough to use one.

These days I tend to use a couple of thermal mugsof strong hazelnut coffee; stays hot enough for me for over six hours if left unopened.

Tea. The vilest drink known to mankind. Even the smell of it from a few feet away makes me feel sick. Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Takes all sorts to make the world, eh?

Have to agree. It smells like armpits!

Almost wet myself laughing at this one. Fabulous!

Flask of hot water.

No. No, no, no, no NO. Instant coffee? Puhlease! Proper ground beans preferably with loads of steamed milk. Latte perfection. I realise that this isn't practical on a hike though.

No, you need a proper oven. Microwaved pastry is too soggy, and worse than tea made with "flask water"

Oooh, soft moist re-heated pie-pastry straight out of the microwave (not dry from an oven) is simply lovely!

For those needing boiling water for tea and who are happy to wait till you get back to the car, there is also the 12v Car Kettle option.

My current solutions are... (1)make myself a latte at home and take it with me in an insulated mug. Lasts about 1.5-2 hours, if I sip it! ...(2)take my camper van for luxury lattes after the hike.

Thumbs up for the Jetboil from me...... Rarely go anywhere without it. Have a Kelly Kettle for camping & beach trips too.

Whatever happened to those instant hot drinks in a can that were all in vogue several years ago.....?

Also quite tempted with one of those new Biolote gizmo's for camping trips..... Great for charging your GPSr whilst brewing your tea!

Jon

Whatever happened to those instant hot drinks in a can that were all in vogue several years ago.....?

Don't know about those but I've had a few of those Heinz soups in a plastic tube, which take up hardly any room and taste really good. I've only ever made them from freshly boiled water at home but would be interested to see how they come out using hot water from a flask.

Found em......

Product withdrawn in 2002....

Nescafé, instant hot coffee in a can.

Jon

I took a can of that stuff with me when I tackled "Scotland's First" way back in 2003. It was rubbish! it only got luke warm and tasted aweful. I bought it from a camping / outdoor shop somewhere in Scotland as I thought it might be cold on Ben More.... I was right about that, at least :)

Almost wet myself laughing at this one. Fabulous!
The really funny thing is he's not kidding. You can get 500watt 12v->240v converters but microwaves all seem to be 700watt-plus... Then I stumbled across the perfect gift for the man who has everything :)

It doesn't look big enough to fit a car in... :unsure:

:lol:

Flask of hot water.

Two flasks.

I think this is what you are looking for - The WaveBox