embed wav code

I guess, a moderator will move this topic to the right place, the Geocoin Forum is more about coins and trackables.

I'm not sure, what you try to achive. Wav data is music, isn't it? Personaly, I hate it, when upon opening a site there's music starting. It probably wouldn't work with mobil diveces also.

If it's needed for solving a mystery cache, you might want to try loading your data on an webspace and link to it on the cachepage. Remember to place the disclaimer in your listing.

Certain files (specifically .TXT files, .PDFs and all audio files) may be acceptable inclusions on cache listings in the interest of allowing greater cache creativity. These downloads must adhere to all geocaching guidelines and include the following text above the link:

"Alert: You are about to download a file that contains further details needed to find this geocache. As the cache owner, I represent that this file is safe to download although it has not been checked by Groundspeak or by the reviewer for possible malicious content. Download this file at your own risk. [insert link here]"

Source: Listing Guidelines 1.2.

I guess, a moderator will move this topic to the right place, the Geocoin Forum is more about coins and trackables.

I'm not sure, what you try to achive. Wav data is music, isn't it? Personaly, I hate it, when upon opening a site there's music starting. It probably wouldn't work with mobil diveces also.

Wav data is audio, not necessarily music. I started working on a puzzle once that involved finding a 2x2 pixel in an image that when one hovered over it with the mouse would play an audio stream. The audio stream could then be downloaded (as a wav file) and a spectrum analyzer used to discover a binary pattern that could be turned into numbers. And that was just the first part of the puzzle.

Wav data is audio, not necessarily music. I started working on a puzzle once that involved finding a 2x2 pixel in an image that when one hovered over it with the mouse would play an audio stream. The audio stream could then be downloaded (as a wav file) and a spectrum analyzer used to discover a binary pattern that could be turned into numbers. And that was just the first part of the puzzle.

Holy crap!!!

I would so give up on that cache. I only have audio (speakers or headset) connected or powered on when listening to music. Some of the puzzles out there are very tech/skill specific.

To the OP: Be sure to indicate audio is used so people will know to turn on or aquire a set of speakers.

Hi,

I have been trying for a couple of hours, to embed a "wav" html code into my cache page but I cannot seem to get it to work?

Any suggestions?

Embedding a background .wav file has not been allowed since about 2005 or 2006, by my recollection. If you try it, it will be stripped out by whatever program Groundspeak uses. I've heard it was something called HTML Tidy, but who knows if it still is. Nope, can't do it, and they've pretty much said it's never coming back. :(

We got a puzzle cache like that around here. :)

Hi,

I have been trying for a couple of hours, to embed a "wav" html code into my cache page but I cannot seem to get it to work?

Any suggestions?

Embedding a background .wav file has not been allowed since about 2005 or 2006, by my recollection. If you try it, it will be stripped out by whatever program Groundspeak uses. I've heard it was something called HTML Tidy, but who knows if it still is. Nope, can't do it, and they've pretty much said it's never coming back. :(

I don't know if GS is using HTML Tidy but I've used it on a few projects. It's often integrated with wysiwyg editors that are part of a content management when one is allowed to switch between a rich text editor an raw html. It's a pretty good tool for stripping out "dangerous" html. It can also be used for cleaning up invalid html.

I started working on a puzzle once that involved finding a 2x2 pixel in an image that when one hovered over it with the mouse would play an audio stream. The audio stream could then be downloaded (as a wav file) and a spectrum analyzer used to discover a binary pattern that could be turned into numbers. And that was just the first part of the puzzle.

I always knew, there's a good reason why I ignore most of those horrid blue question marks on the map... :huh:

I can't even imagine, how you managed to figure out how to solve this mystery. :blink:

I was only asking because of a new puzzle cache I am presently working on "Does a Gnome Fart in the Forest?" I just wanted a little "Fart" wav imbeded in the page. So now that I know that it is not possible I will just have an animated Gnome farting. Thanks for the input!

I hate to be the one to give you the bad news, but you'll have to host your animated gnome elsewhere and link it, too. (you can make it show on the page.)

I was only asking because of a new puzzle cache I am presently working on "Does a Gnome Fart in the Forest?" I just wanted a little "Fart" wav imbeded in the page. So now that I know that it is not possible I will just have an animated Gnome farting. Thanks for the input!

I hate to be the one to give you the bad news, but you'll have to host your animated gnome elsewhere and link it, too. (you can make it show on the page.)

On the contrary...my animated embeded "Gnome, elf, dwarf, leprechaun",HTML code, is working just fine! :laughing:

On the contrary...my animated embeded "Gnome, elf, dwarf, leprechaun",HTML code, is working just fine! :laughing:

Animated gif hosted here? If so, things have changed.

Might be it's working for you.

Trouble is, for most others, the page will load for aons and slow internet connections might even crash, while trying to load your cache page.

Please use a different webspace to upload your gnome, it's making live so much easier for the cachers. Most people in my area use offline programms like GSAK and won't see your gnome proberly anyway...

Why does it have to be embedded rather than simply linked to?

I agree. If it's part of the puzzle then one of the steps could involve discovering the link hidden somewhere on the cache page. Embedding an audio file would mean that would get played every time the cache page loaded. For those that might be looking at cache pages while at work :rolleyes: that could be embarrassing if you forget to turn your speakers off.

Why does it have to be embedded rather than simply linked to?

I agree. If it's part of the puzzle then one of the steps could involve discovering the link hidden somewhere on the cache page. Embedding an audio file would mean that would get played every time the cache page loaded. For those that might be looking at cache pages while at work :rolleyes: that could be embarrassing if you forget to turn your speakers off.

The wav sound would have had nothing to do with solving the puzzle...it was only going be on there for a "whimsical" factor...that was all. It isn't needed for finding the solution. So since it's not possible, that's fine, the puzzle cache page will be fine without it.

Might be it's working for you.

Trouble is, for most others, the page will load for aons and slow internet connections might even crash, while trying to load your cache page.

Please use a different webspace to upload your gnome, it's making live so much easier for the cachers. Most people in my area use offline programms like GSAK and won't see your gnome proberly anyway...

Works fine for me--not even slow at all