Old log books/strips, what do you do with yours?

Mike & Jess

I thought I would toss this up as I'm interested in what others do with their old cache paper logs (books and strips) when they either get full or you archive the cache.

I keep our full cache logbooks.

7610600414_94f1db7129_m.jpg

But I don't compare signatures against the log.

Edited by L0ne R

I retrieved mine not too long ago and compared the signatures against the online logs, there were way more names than online logs, nice to see that not every cacher feels the need to online log a find, kudos to them, it really IS not about the numbers.

True, it's not about the numbers, but I don't log online for the bragging rights. I do because there's more space there to tell any stories I might have about finding the cache than there ever will be in some log books.

Don't have any of my own yet, but the ones I look after for others, I periodically use my digital camera to photo the strips/log pages and then merge them into one or more condensed but readable images. Easier to store them for me, also to send them along to the owners in question. I occasionally do this for people I know when I find one of their caches wet and the log deteriorating but still readable. First I dry it out AMAP then image the logs. Haven't had to do that too often but a few times. Sometimes the log simply isn't recoverable at all, even with good technique. Sometimes you only get bits. Needless to say it isn't often worth the effort for many caches of low import, so it is a judgement call.

Any that survive to the point of replacing, I keep until told to lose them by the owner in either case.

Doug 7rxc

I retrieved mine not too long ago and compared the signatures against the online logs, there were way more names than online logs, nice to see that not every cacher feels the need to online log a find, kudos to them, it really IS not about the numbers.

I've done this a couple times and noticed way more online then in the books or log sheets.

True, it's not about the numbers, but I don't log online for the bragging rights. I do because there's more space there to tell any stories I might have about finding the cache than there ever will be in some log books.

I do the same for the caches I find. Drives me nuts when cachers put "TFTC" only or worse yet ":D" in the online posts, so I try to put a little bit of a personal touch to the online log.

In the paper log book, name, date/time and something very breif so I don't consume too much log space.

Don't have any of my own yet, but the ones I look after for others, I periodically use my digital camera to photo the strips/log pages and then merge them into one or more condensed but readable images. Easier to store them for me, also to send them along to the owners in question. I occasionally do this for people I know when I find one of their caches wet and the log deteriorating but still readable. First I dry it out AMAP then image the logs. Haven't had to do that too often but a few times. Sometimes the log simply isn't recoverable at all, even with good technique. Sometimes you only get bits. Needless to say it isn't often worth the effort for many caches of low import, so it is a judgement call.

Any that survive to the point of replacing, I keep until told to lose them by the owner in either case.

Doug 7rxc

I've done this one for a wet log book I recovered. Sent the photos to the CO.

I also do this occationally if I happen to pass one of my caches. Nice to read the hand written notes when time permits.

I have them bronzed and mounted and display them proudly on my fireplace mantle.

You either have a HUGE caching budget and big fireplace mantle, or have not recovered many logs.

single sheet...toss

log book...keep

I'm pretty much the same. I'll read through them then toss the single sheets.

If a log book is hardly used, I may pull the consumed pages and re-use the book.

I have as of right now (going up again in the next couple days) 62 hides (active, and archived with a couple events in there). My geocaching budget isn't high anymore, so re-use what I can is a must.

I have kept log books. And a few sheets. If it has mold, it gets tossed. So please close the lid properly if you want to be preserved forever in that box in the corner, reserved for "geocaching stuff".

I'm not that organized. Some of the log books I saved have no cache name in them, and without going through online logs, I couldn't tell where they came from. Some are from other people's caches, where I replaced the log, and never got a reply about returning it to them. I would have left them in the caches, if they were in good enough condition, but when you clean out a cache, you don't put a soggy wet book back into it.

b6a4439d-3a8e-4503-b0ad-f36b9903c895.jpg

You can bet your sweet bippy I am going to be retrieving and saving this logbook. My dear departed cousin, who was a journalism major, and knowing how I like trout fishing, gave it to me to use as a journal, but the closest thing in my life to a journal is my geocaching history. I miss her a lot and hope this doesn't ever go missing before I get it back. People love the book, and it seems they take the time, mosquitoes be darned, to sit and write something nice in it.

b6a4439d-3a8e-4503-b0ad-f36b9903c895.jpg

You can bet your sweet bippy I am going to be retrieving and saving this logbook. My dear departed cousin, who was a journalism major, and knowing how I like trout fishing, gave it to me to use as a journal, but the closest thing in my life to a journal is my geocaching history. I miss her a lot and hope this doesn't ever go missing before I get it back. People love the book, and it seems they take the time, mosquitoes be darned, to sit and write something nice in it.

I wouldn't put out something of that much importants to me.

Nice looking book btw.

I thought I would toss this up as I'm interested in what others do with their old cache paper logs (books and strips) when they either get full or you archive the cache.

I keep mine. They contain real geocaching history. Some of the folks in my log books are deceased and many more have left the game. Might be worth sumthin' one day. Imagine how much my sig is gonna be worth when I get elected President. Or when they start digging up the bodies in my back yard....

You could take all of your log scrolls and tape them together to make a short snorter.

Or roll em up and smoke em and savor the moldy goodness of geohistory. :anibad: