A SERIOUS WARNING!

Danger_Warning

If you are so concern about safely, you need to release the general area of where the range is. Until you do it, your messages here fall on deaf ears. So much of wasted of hot air in here. Is it an illegal ranges and you dont want the government to know where its? Was it a home setup ranges with no signs up and you just want to make us look bad by adding untrue stuffs to the story?

Another thing, never group everybody in a lump! Never! Most of us in this section of the forum are from USA and not in England.

I find your messages here full of holes and got a feeling you are making this whole thing up.

Have a nice day. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I agree with all of the points made herein, and wondered why anyone would respond to the OP as it was set forth in vagarities of the worst sort.

He left too many info out. And coming on the forum like a sock puppet didnt help him in his case. And his all CAP didnt help him as well.

traffic_cone.gifArchived

Thanks to everyone that has found this over the past 4 years but due to the Archers now using this site at any day and time for everyone's safety it's best that this one is laid to rest.

Thanks to Gaz Zippy for letting us know.

Lorri & Kev

It appears that the cache predates the archery club and that maybe the warning might have come after from the way stuff was written.

If so the OP needs to apologize for going off and calling people idiots. There's always more to the story.

traffic_cone.gifArchived

Thanks to everyone that has found this over the past 4 years but due to the Archers now using this site at any day and time for everyone's safety it's best that this one is laid to rest.

Lorri & Kev

It appears that the cache predates the archery club and that maybe the warning might have come after from the way stuff was written.

If so the OP needs to apologize for going off and calling people idiots. There's always more to the story.

It seems the archers were there first. See FTF log below.

Found it 12/23/2008

FTF No.207

10:30am

Surprised at this late hour to still be FTF!

Arrived on site and was greeted by an archer, who said that there could be anyone practicing anytime, but when they do they display the sign saying archery in progress. Had a long chat with him on the way back and he said it is safe to walk through, but to keep to the route of the targets then you will never cross lines of sight. There are 14 targets and the route is circular.

A simple puzzle soon solved in bed this morning and an easy find.

Commiserations to legodude, I’ll let you discover the coin next time I see you.

L2TB’s & 1 Coin.

Logging FTF coins in & out. Also logging the prize in & out

So let's recap some highlights:

Posted under "A SERIOUS WARNING" with subheading "Sheer lunacy or 'intent to kill'..?" Caps in original:

LAST SATURDAY I ALMOST SHOT AN ARROW THROUGH THE HEAD OF A GEO-CACHER WHO HAD DELIBERATELY WALKED INTO A WELL SIGNPOSTED ARCHERY COURSE.

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYBODY WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRESPASS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY TO START OFF WITH, LET ALONE WALK INTO AN ARCHERY COURSE?

NOT ONLY IS THIS A WARNING TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO IS TOTALLY STUPID ENOUGH TO BLATANTLY IGNORE ALL THE WARNING SIGNS OF ENTERING SUCH A COURSE, IT IS ALSO A WARNING TO THE TOTAL IDIOTS WHO PUT CACHES IN THIS SORT OF LOCATION.

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS OF DOING THIS AND HAVE AT LEAST A CONSIDERATION FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO MAY INJURE, OR EVEN KILL, ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH, AND RISK BEING CHARGED AND OR IMPRISONED FOR DOING SO?

vs.

The problem with solving puzzles and then forgetting about them is you forget those massive warning signs in green on the cache listing, however there were warning signs from my direction of approach, although they do only mention the 3rd Sunday, and not the fact that Archers could be practicing at any time.

...I then made sure I found the archer again, so he could point the safe way out of the woods back to the car. I did catch up with him and he asked if I was geocaching so I told him I was, he didn't know there was a cache in here and has asked me to contact the cache owner to ask for it to be removed as it is not safe for people to be walking around as the members of the archery club could be there every day and at any time of day and he would hate for there to be any accidents, so I will raise this with the CO via an email.

Followed by:

Thanks to Gaz Zippy for letting us know. Archived.

In summary: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have my own reasons for neither confirming or denying where this location is, so please guess away all you want.

I have a couple of people looking at the actual details now, which is what I really needed in the first place, so many thanks to those that have been kind enough to try and help, and not quite so many thanks to those who seemed to think it's a bit of a joke, hopefully it won't be one of you I am looking down my arrow at next time....

When you post in ALL CAPS with a screen name of Danger Warning, and tell forum users of an incident which occurred 3 days ago, but are unwilling to share details of it's location, it's difficult to take you seriously.

Archery ranges are not in secret locations, and adequate warnings at the location should indicate there is a range located there.

Here it is 6 hours later from the original post and there are finally now people looking into this.

Had I actually been aware this site existed 3 days ago, you would have been the first to know about this, believe me, but as I didn't you didn't?

And it may surprise you to know that some archery ranges ARE in secret locations, as they are totally private enterprises, set up for families and friends only.

Reading the logs, many cachers reported interactions with archers that didn't result in this much drama. There are logs going back to January 2010 that archers use the place more often than just the 3rd Sunday of the month. So cachers and archers mixing is not a recent problem.

What changed? So what kind of property allows archery and (apparently) geocaching? It doesn't sound like there was any TRESPASSing ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.

The "Massive warning signs in green" on the cache page that the first log mentions is a large green block containing the following text:

PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS A LOVELY LOCATION BUT IS USED BY THE LOCAL ARCHERY CLUB ON THE 3RD SUNDAY OF THE MONTH, SO IT IS NOT ADVISABLE TO ATTEMPT THE CACHE ON THOSE SUNDAYS OR IN THE DARK AS MARKER POSTS ARE ON THE GROUND AND COULD BE A TRIPPING HAZARD SO PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP.

WE WOULD RECOMMEND YOU STAY TO THE PATHS AS THE ARCHERS COULD BE PRACTICING AT ANY TIME.THEY WILL PUT A SIGN UP AT THE ENTRANCE SO YOU WILL KNOW TO BE EXTRA CAREFUL.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR CHILDREN AND DOGS WITH YOU AS WE WOULD NOT WISH ANYBODY TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT.

THIS CAN BE A DANGEROUS AREA SO TAKE CARE AT ALL TIMES.

I guess we can't know for sure, but when I see, "They (the archery club) will put a sign up at the entrance so you will know to be extra careful," it tells me that at some point in time, the CO had been in contact with the archery club. If correct, the OP's original comments about "trespassing" and such are...ahem...off target.

I also note that the cache page indicates the "Dangerous Area" attribute. Perhaps the lesson here is that in many situations it's important for the CO and the landowner to be in regular contact on how things are going with a placement of a cache, especially when the area is a bit unique and dangerous.

So let's recap some highlights:

Posted under "A SERIOUS WARNING" with subheading "Sheer lunacy or 'intent to kill'..?" Caps in original:

LAST SATURDAY I ALMOST SHOT AN ARROW THROUGH THE HEAD OF A GEO-CACHER WHO HAD DELIBERATELY WALKED INTO A WELL SIGNPOSTED ARCHERY COURSE.

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYBODY WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRESPASS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY TO START OFF WITH, LET ALONE WALK INTO AN ARCHERY COURSE?

NOT ONLY IS THIS A WARNING TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO IS TOTALLY STUPID ENOUGH TO BLATANTLY IGNORE ALL THE WARNING SIGNS OF ENTERING SUCH A COURSE, IT IS ALSO A WARNING TO THE TOTAL IDIOTS WHO PUT CACHES IN THIS SORT OF LOCATION.

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS OF DOING THIS AND HAVE AT LEAST A CONSIDERATION FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO MAY INJURE, OR EVEN KILL, ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH, AND RISK BEING CHARGED AND OR IMPRISONED FOR DOING SO?

vs.

The problem with solving puzzles and then forgetting about them is you forget those massive warning signs in green on the cache listing, however there were warning signs from my direction of approach, although they do only mention the 3rd Sunday, and not the fact that Archers could be practicing at any time.

...I then made sure I found the archer again, so he could point the safe way out of the woods back to the car. I did catch up with him and he asked if I was geocaching so I told him I was, he didn't know there was a cache in here and has asked me to contact the cache owner to ask for it to be removed as it is not safe for people to be walking around as the members of the archery club could be there every day and at any time of day and he would hate for there to be any accidents, so I will raise this with the CO via an email.

Followed by:

Thanks to Gaz Zippy for letting us know. Archived.

In summary: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I met this geocacher JUST ONCE, I have no idea where he went to after he left me and he DID NOT return to find me to find a safe way out of the woods - that is a total lie.

Had he actually come and found me as he inidcates I could have actually asked him where this cache was for myself and I would not be on here asking others to help me do so?

If this matter is resolved as per some of the private messages I have kindly been sent indicate then I'd like to thank those responsible, but there is absolutely NO WAY this guy came back and found me, in fact I had left the woods myself within 5 minutes of the reported incident!

Reading the logs, many cachers reported interactions with archers that didn't result in this much drama. There are logs going back to January 2010 that archers use the place more often than just the 3rd Sunday of the month. So cachers and archers mixing is not a recent problem.

What changed? So what kind of property allows archery and (apparently) geocaching? It doesn't sound like there was any TRESPASSing ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Just maybe your previous 'interactions didn't involve someone walking straight across in front of a target as an arrow was about to be fired?

It seems that people on here were aware of this situation arising, I wasn't and you did nothing about terminating this cache whereas it would appear that I have done.

Where do you thiunk I would be right now had I loosed off that arrow and seriously injured this guy?

And how would you feel had this resulted in a serious injury to that guy and you'd allowed this situation to exist/continue?

Just maybe your previous 'interactions didn't involve someone walking straight across in front of a target as an arrow was about to be fired?

It seems that people on here were aware of this situation arising, I wasn't and you did nothing about terminating this cache whereas it would appear that I have done.

Where do you thiunk I would be right now had I loosed off that arrow and seriously injured this guy?

And how would you feel had this resulted in a serious injury to that guy and you'd allowed this situation to exist/continue?

But you didn't release the arrow it appears. You must enjoy drama and you give excuses like a high school kid.

This is so confusing. So the course is "well signposted", but somehow the signs are invisible to the vandals and thieves who plague archery courses?

Edit: I'm going to try to find out who owns that property. So many things just don't add up.

Edited by JJnTJ

Had he actually come and found me as he inidcates I could have actually asked him where this cache was for myself and I would not be on here asking others to help me do so?

And you would have removed the physical cache and only caused more problems because of cachers that thought it was still there would be wandering around in the area longer, trying to find something that was no longer findable. You did the right thing by coming here... I just wish that you hadn't been so secretive about its location. Well... actually, I enjoyed the challenge, but it took longer to resolve because of it.

And to wrap this up, please let me remind you that you have not only called the geocacher an idiot, but now have called that person a liar as well. And yet, this idiot liar responsibly reported the situation to the cache owner, and the cache owner responsibly archived their cache, all without you starting this thread.

I believe I have located the cache in question, and it was archived two days ago because of the archery club.

icon_smile.gif Found it 09/08/2012 The problem with solving puzzles and then forgetting about them is you forget those massive warning signs in green on the cache listing, however there were warning signs from my direction of approach, although they do only mention the 3rd Sunday, and not the fact that Archers could be practicing at any time.

I tentatively made my way to gz, although I must admit I nearly did turn around and give up when I heard the sound of arrow hitting target very nearby (I was on the path too)

I got within 120 feet of gz when another archer appeared, he looked surprised to see me so I asked if it was safe for me to be walking around, given there were men armed with cross bows in the woods, he said not, especially as I was walking around in the opposite direction to the way the course is laid out.

I carried on my way and found the cache, although it was out in the open and upside down, so I signed the slightly damp log and replaced as per the hint, I then made sure I found the archer again, so he could point the safe way out of the woods back to the car. I did catch up with him and he asked if I was geocaching so I told him I was, he didn't know there was a cache in here and has asked me to contact the cache owner to ask for it to be removed as it is not safe for people to be walking around as the members of the archery club could be there every day and at any time of day and he would hate for there to be any accidents, so I will raise this with the CO via an email.

Followed by:

traffic_cone.gifArchived

Lorri & Kev

The "Massive warning signs in green" on the cache page that the first log mentions is a large green block containing the following text:

PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS A LOVELY LOCATION BUT IS USED BY THE LOCAL ARCHERY CLUB ON THE 3RD SUNDAY OF THE MONTH, SO IT IS NOT ADVISABLE TO ATTEMPT THE CACHE ON THOSE SUNDAYS OR IN THE DARK AS MARKER POSTS ARE ON THE GROUND AND COULD BE A TRIPPING HAZARD SO PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP.

WE WOULD RECOMMEND YOU STAY TO THE PATHS AS THE ARCHERS COULD BE PRACTICING AT ANY TIME.THEY WILL PUT A SIGN UP AT THE ENTRANCE SO YOU WILL KNOW TO BE EXTRA CAREFUL.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR CHILDREN AND DOGS WITH YOU AS WE WOULD NOT WISH ANYBODY TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT.

THIS CAN BE A DANGEROUS AREA SO TAKE CARE AT ALL TIMES.

So we didn't have all of the facts after all...

Well at least it's looked after.

traffic_cone.gifArchived

Lorri & Kev

It seems the archers were there first. See FTF log below.

Found it 12/23/2008

FTF No.207

10:30am

Surprised at this late hour to still be FTF!

Arrived on site and was greeted by an archer, who said that there could be anyone practicing anytime, but when they do they display the sign saying archery in progress. Had a long chat with him on the way back and he said it is safe to walk through, but to keep to the route of the targets then you will never cross lines of sight. There are 14 targets and the route is circular.

A simple puzzle soon solved in bed this morning and an easy find.

Commiserations to legodude, I’ll let you discover the coin next time I see you.

L2TB’s & 1 Coin.

Logging FTF coins in & out. Also logging the prize in & out

"It appears that the cache predates the archery club and that maybe the warning might have come after from the way stuff was written.

If so the OP needs to apologize for going off and calling people idiots. There's always more to the story."

I think you'll find the course actually predates 'geocaching' itself, having first been established in 1982, so if you care to make an apology yourslef I will graciously accept it......

... as you say, there's always more to the story, maybe you should just check basic facts first yourself?

Where would you be right now had it been some young child that had wandered into those same woods, just to explore, and you had loosed your arrow without being 100% certain of a clear shot? Please stop blaming the geocachers. From everything we can tell, they did the right thing. It would also appear that the cache most likely had permission when it was hidden 4 years ago, but that the situation in the woods was changed without notifying the cache owner.

And you would have removed the physical cache and only caused more problems because of cachers that thought it was still there would be wandering around in the area longer, trying to find something that was no longer findable. You did the right thing by coming here... I just wish that you hadn't been so secretive about its location. Well... actually, I enjoyed the challenge, but it took longer to resolve because of it.

And to wrap this up, please let me remind you that you have not only called the geocacher an idiot, but now have called that person a liar as well. And yet, this idiot liar responsibly reported the situation to the cache owner, and the cache owner responsibly archived their cache, all without you starting this thread.

"And to wrap this up, please let me remind you that you have not only called the geocacher an idiot, but now have called that person a liar as well. And yet, this idiot liar responsibly reported the situation to the cache owner, and the cache owner responsibly archived their cache, all without you starting this thread."

Yes I#ve called this guy an idiot and a liar.

He is an idiot for deliberately ignoring warning signs and he is a liar as he NEVER came back and found me as he has clearly stated.

And how was I to know this cache had been disabled then, without trying to find a site like this and bringing it to people's attention?

... as you say, there's always more to the story, maybe you should just check basic facts first yourself?

:laughing: How on earth would anyone be able to check basic facts? You're the only one that knows them and getting them out of you has been like pulling teeth.

If I am actually the ONLY one who knows them then maybe you can explain how come this has been disabled now?

He is an idiot for deliberately ignoring warning signs and he is a liar as he NEVER came back and found me as he has clearly stated.

From what we can tell, the geocache had permission to be there, and that archery was only to take place on certain days.

I then made sure I found the archer again, so he could point the safe way out of the woods back to the car.

Why would he have cause to lie about something like that? Do you suppose it is entirely possible that he actually encountered a different archer that pointed his way out safely?

Once again, we thank you for taking the time to set up an account and bringing this to our attention, but at the same time, you could have done it much differently.

And how was I to know this cache had been disabled then, without trying to find a site like this and bringing it to people's attention?

The (mostly contrived) "situation" has been resolved. You're trolling our forum at this point. Go away.

What on earth for? This kid is great entertainment. I bet he gets verbed.

Like OMG Snoogans is Danger_Warning that thread. Classic.

In other news, here's a recent shooting range DNF log for me:

Got to within about 200 feet of the cache but the range was active with the 10th station of the blue course dropping shot all over the cache area.

I used to cut grass with a brush hog in front of live skeet ranges so I'm pretty sure the cache is in a safe location. I just would go after it on a day when the sporting clays section is closed. Wear eye protection if you hunt this cache when the range is live.

No find for me, but I did shoot a respectable 83.

Come to think of this, there were a couple cutting across a field neerby a couble of weeks agio with an ordnance survey map, so perhaps that's what they were up to?

You also have absolutely no idea if they were geocaching or not? :rolleyes:

No, that's exactly why I actually said 'PERHAPS that's what they were up to'

What is so hard to understand???

The (mostly contrived) "situation" has been resolved. You're trolling our forum at this point. Go away.

Nooooo... I need my entertainment fix. Today is a boring day since I am stuck here for a few more hours.

It would appear that this cache is (hopefully) now disabled, and therefore job sorted. :)

To all those private messages giving help and support thank you, it's much appreciated. :)

To all those private messages apologising for the 'real' idiots on here who treat matters like this as a joke, you are absolutely right, and I have enjoyed winding the arrogant and ignorant up, they are just as bad as you said they were. :lol:

And to the guy who actually walked across me at the weekend, causing my post in the first place, I will repeat, your are a liar, you DID NOT COME BACK AND FIND ME, so why tell everybody you did. :mad:

Don't worry I won't be posting anything more on this site - unless I find another geocacher at the end of my aim...........

And to the guy who actually walked across me at the weekend, causing my post in the first place, I will repeat, your are a liar, you DID NOT COME BACK AND FIND ME, so why tell everybody you did. :mad:

You are assuming that the log entry quoted was the incident involving you. Are you sure that it isn't possible there was another cacher and another archer?

:rolleyes:

For completeness, here is the cache in question.

Since the OP now admits the "secret" archery course has lots of signs around it, and geocachers have been aware of the course for almost four years, it can't be as secret as Danger_Warning has claimed.

Someday it would be nice to know the answers to such basic facts as:

1) who owns the land

2) is the landowner aware that archery is taking place on it (probably)

3) is the landowner aware that there was a geocache on it (possibly)

4) is the archery club leadership aware of the geocache near the course (possibly)

5) why did it take four years for this deadly mix of archers with tunnel vision and "idiot geocachers" to result in an incident and the resulting histrionics?

I trust you're not giving your fellow archery buddies a pass on this, right? Clearly, some were aware of what was taking place for years. Is this an EFAA affiliated club? The EFAA Handbook requires a club to maintain an "accident book" available for review and inspection at any time. Those prior events should have been noted in the book and made available to you and your club members, right? Has the Range Charter Officer been fully advised?

Be nice!

I agree that it's the right thing to be nice. It makes it harder when you're being yelled at and your fellow geocachers are being called idiots and liars. Although we need to cut him some slack for not knowing the ways of geocaching, he also needs to learn how to play nice with others. I do appreciate his attempt to get this resolved quickly, however his secrecy about a public place wasted time and caused frustration to those who were trying to help. Had he given the approximate location to us right away, we would have had the whole thing resolved in minutes. That said; "Thank you Danger_Warning for trying to do the right thing. When you are finished with this archery nonsense (how 15th Century) try out geocaching and we'll show you a good time."

I trust you're not giving your fellow archery buddies a pass on this, right? Clearly, some were aware of what was taking place for years. Is this an EFAA affiliated club? The EFAA Handbook requires a club to maintain an "accident book" available for review and inspection at any time. Those prior events should have been noted in the book and made available to you and your club members, right? Has the Range Charter Officer been fully advised?

It even appears a member of the archery club is a geocacher also and found the cache a couple years ago.

http://coord.info/GL4HDR2Z

Interesting that no one has mentioned that it is 100% under any circumstances the responsibility of the shooter to properly identify both the target and the backstop before firing any weapon. No exceptions.

I agree, however the shooter should not have to worry about unauthorized people in the background on posted property in a presumably safe zone. Maybe better signage and/or fencing may be in order in this case.

Interesting that no one has mentioned that it is 100% under any circumstances the responsibility of the shooter to properly identify both the target and the backstop before firing any weapon. Even on private closed ranges. No exceptions. Ever.

Jeesh Ed, get with the drama. He coulda KILLED that guy. :anibad::laughing:

I am the idiot in question, probably a deserved comment, although I do object to being called a liar! I'm not posting for an argument or any such drama, just to give my side.

My log, which has been posted by someone else earlier in this thread is my story of what happened, I did come across the archer twice, once he told me I was going the wrong way around a course and he asked me where I was going, I said about 120 feet 'that way' I did say that I had seen the signs, but they only warned of the 3rd Sunday of each month, given it was a Saturday I thought it safe to proceed into the wooded area, after finding the cache I then found the archer again. He asked me if I was Geocaching, I said Yes, he said his kids do that and was there one in the woods, i said yes and he told me that members can practice at all times of all days, so he would like the geocache removed, I said I would contact the CO asking them to do so when I got home, i then asked if i should go out the way i came, he said yes. When i got home i emailed the CO and they archived the cache after receiving my email.

In hindsight perhaps I should have asked for the archers contact details, so I could report the progress back to him, but I never, that is hindsight for you.

So in summary the end result is thankfully no-one got hurt, the cache has been archived and no geocachers will risk injury from the archers, a good result all round I think.

A lesson learned for me too, just because a geocache is there doesn't mean you have to look for it, I will also report, without fail, geocache placements that I feel are dangerous, as I did in this case, I would also like to thank the CO for their prompt action in archiving this cache.

The End

Edited for dodgy spelling.

Edited by gaz_zippy

I am the idiot in question, probably a deserved comment, although I do object to being called a liar! I'm not posting for an argument or any such drama, just to give my side.

My log, which has been posted by someone else earlier in this thread is my story of what happened, I did come across the archer twice, once he told me I was going the wrong way around a course and he asked me where I was going, I said about 120 feet 'that way' I did say that I had seen the signs, but they only warned of the 3rd Sunday of each month, given it was a Saturday I thought it safe to proceed into the wooded area, after finding the cache I then found the archer again. He asked me if I was Geocaching, I said Yes, he said his kids do that and was there one in the woods, i said yes and he told me that members can practice at all times of all days, so he would like the geocache removed, I said I would contact the CO asking them to do so when I got home, i then asked if i should go out the way i came, he said yes. When i got home i emailed the CO and they archived the cache after receiving my email.

In hindsight perhaps I should have asked for the archers contact details, so I could report the progress back to him, but I never, that is hindsight for you.

So in summary the end result is thankfully no-one got hurt, the cache has been archived and no geocachers will risk injury from the archers, a good result all round I think.

A lesson learned for me too, just because a geocache is there doesn't mean you have to look for it, I will also report, without fail, geocache placements that I feel should are dangerous, as I did in this case, I would also like to thank the CO for their prompt action in archiving this cache.

The End

Nice to hear your side of the story. I got a better idea of what happen.

To the OP, I think you over did it and took the matter into your hands when you arent the owner or manager.

LAST SATURDAY I ALMOST SHOT AN ARROW THROUGH THE HEAD OF A GEO-CACHER WHO HAD DELIBERATELY WALKED INTO A WELL SIGNPOSTED ARCHERY COURSE. I DREAD TO THINK WHAT THE CONSEQUENCES MIGHT HAVE BEEN HAD THE WORSE CASE HAPENNED?

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYBODY WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO TRESPASS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY TO START OFF WITH, LET ALONE WALK INTO AN ARCHERY COURSE? TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THIS PERSON WAS WALKING 'THE WRONG WAY' ROUND THE COURSE, WHICH MEANT HE WAS WALKING STRAIGHT INTO THE LINE OF FIRE OF ANY ARCHER PRACTISING OR SHOOTING ON THE COURSE.

WE HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS DANGEROUS SPORT FOR OBVIOUS REASONS, BUT THIS DOES NOT COVER NON MEMBERS, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. TO GAIN THIS INSURANCE WE HAVE TO UNDERGO PROPER TRAINING AND QUALIFICATION, WHERE WE LEARN THE SAFETY RULES ASSOCIATED WITH OUR SPORT.

HAD I INJURED (OR WORSE) THIS PERSON, THE POLICE WOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AND I WOULD IMAGINE THAT WHOEVER PLACED THIS CACHE IN SUCH AN OBVIOUSLY POTENTIALLY LETHAL LOCATION WOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH SOME SERIOUS OFFENCE?

I SERIOUSLY HOPE WHOEVER PLACED THIS GEO CACHE INTO OUR WOODS WILL REMOVE IT, AND ALL REFERENCES TO IT.

FOR OBVIOUS REASONS I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE ANY DETAILS OF THE ITEM OR THE LOCATION, BUT I WOULD EXPECT SOMEONE TO CONTACT ME TO CONFIRM HOW THIS CAN BE DONE AND SO PREVENT ANY POSSIBLE RE-OCCURENCE OF THIS HAPPENING.

Yep that's almost as stupid as someone that doesn't know how to turn their CAP LOCK off when they type.

Interesting that no one has mentioned that it is 100% under any circumstances the responsibility of the shooter to properly identify both the target and the backstop before firing any weapon. Even on private closed ranges. No exceptions. Ever.

While I suppose this is perfectly true on gun ranges, 3D archery ranges on a wooded trail are somewhat different in that there is not really a backstop. So, as an archer, I would see someone standing between me and the target (and wouldn't shoot!), but someone standing behind the vegetation 20 or 30 meters behind the target could be in some danger if I miss the target (that happens, especially with a longbow). Normally the range would be in a clearly posted area, and the targets are set so that no one following the trail is ever behind a target (e.g. circular trail, with targets towards the outside of the circle). If the area is not fenced, then there is indeed a risk for oblivious hikers, geocachers, birdwatchers, etc.

I'd like to add my thanks to gaz zippy on doing the correct thing and quickly contacting the CO! And on the CO for acting on the situation.

As for the OP, I guess he thought that posting on this forum and insulting everyone (as a geocacher and a bow hunter, I feel doubly insulted... ethical archers don't hunt? I hope the OP is a vegetarian <_< ) while witholdin the actual usefull information about the location was better than contacting someone in a position to do something about it, like the administrators of his archery club, who probably knew about the cache, or Groundspeak (and a statement about not knowing that Groundspeak existed doesn't make much sense when it is posted on the Groundspeak forum :huh: )

Anyway, no one got hurt, everyone can happily go back to caching and/or shooting :rolleyes:

While I suppose this is perfectly true on gun ranges, 3D archery ranges on a wooded trail are somewhat different in that there is not really a backstop. So, as an archer, I would see someone standing between me and the target (and wouldn't shoot!), but someone standing behind the vegetation 20 or 30 meters behind the target could be in some danger if I miss the target (that happens, especially with a longbow). Normally the range would be in a clearly posted area, and the targets are set so that no one following the trail is ever behind a target (e.g. circular trail, with targets towards the outside of the circle). If the area is not fenced, then there is indeed a risk for oblivious hikers, geocachers, birdwatchers, etc.

I'd like to add my thanks to gaz zippy on doing the correct thing and quickly contacting the CO! And on the CO for acting on the situation.

As for the OP, I guess he thought that posting on this forum and insulting everyone (as a geocacher and a bow hunter, I feel doubly insulted... ethical archers don't hunt? I hope the OP is a vegetarian <_< ) while witholdin the actual usefull information about the location was better than contacting someone in a position to do something about it, like the administrators of his archery club, who probably knew about the cache, or Groundspeak (and a statement about not knowing that Groundspeak existed doesn't make much sense when it is posted on the Groundspeak forum :huh: )

Anyway, no one got hurt, everyone can happily go back to caching and/or shooting :rolleyes:

Sorry, but if you fire a deadly weapon you are responsible for where the projectile goes.