A SERIOUS WARNING!

Danger_Warning

Here is a question about your range; is there a fence around the property. In NA we would call that a 3D range. It is indeed dangerous if non-participants are in the field. Over here, these are usualy temporary, just a weekend for a tournement. For a permanent range, I would expect there would be a fence to keep "dumbasses" out. I can not even imagin that your insurance company would offer insurance without a fence. Kind of seems like the easyest and most obvious safety precation.

Reviewers do not disable caches for danger. Also if there is no geocaching policy in place, then it is published. I'm wondering why the owner of the archery course did not try to make contact? I suspect that this may be just outside of the course, and the cacher went the wrong way. If it is actually on the course, it would be interesting to hear from the CO, and possibly any other cachers who ignored the signage. Some cachers seem to assume that every cache has permission, and ignore signs that may be old and not valid anymore.

If it happens again, just shoot them in the ankle and that will shut the cache down quick. As it is now, there has been potential for serious injury for at least the last few days. Perhaps you should have had the owner of the property call Groundspeak directly when it occurred.

The owner of the archery course (our club) was not aware there was a cache in the location, we happen to be field archers, not geocachers, with respect?

As for calling Groundspeak, I didn't even know it existed till today?

As for shooting anyone in the ankle, I presume it was a joke (durrrr???) if that happened we wouldn't have an archery club to be worried about............

Well, why not shoot them in the ankle? They ignored obvious signage. You also did not notify anyone all weekend about a potentially dangerous situation which existed. The quickest way would have been to make a phone call, instead of posting it here. There is also no valid reason to hide what particular area, archery range, or cache it is either. If it is truly a danger, everyone should know which cache it is, and should be warned. Correct?

"You also did not notify anyone all weekend about a potentially dangerous situation which existed."

On the contrary, I have notified others before posting on here, that's the only way I knew this site existed, and I have now posted on to here as soon as finding it! Like I said, I am an archer, not a geocacher.....

... and we have problems with vandalism and theft from archery courses in this country, so it's not in OUR interest to publicse the locations of them......??

You did not stumble upon an elaborate archery equipment theft site, you stumbled upon a geocaching listing service site.

All these people are trying to assist you to get the best, most accurate information regarding the cache that we can.

Honestly, it would be much, MUCH quicker and easier to simply post where this occurred and the helpful members here would likely have this resolved in a few minutes after this information was shared.

Course, if you are searching on the site yourself, you would not see "premium member" caches, nor would you know where the finals of multis or mysteries or other oddball caches where the final coords are not known unless you solve the puzzle.

The best way is to just ask the local reviewer with the coordinates you encountered the problem at. Perhaps your search could find the cache, but it does not eliminate the potential other caches. As someone said, Geocaching.com is not the only site to list caches but it is the main one.

Here is a question about your range; is there a fence around the property. In NA we would call that a 3D range. It is indeed dangerous if non-participants are in the field. Over here, these are usualy temporary, just a weekend for a tournement. For a permanent range, I would expect there would be a fence to keep "dumbasses" out. I can not even imagin that your insurance company would offer insurance without a fence. Kind of seems like the easyest and most obvious safety precation.

Thanks for an interesting post. Although we call it 'field archery' over here, it mostly takes place in woods, and it can be 3d animal targets, target butts with animal faces on them or circular targets of various types, etc.

Our course is in a fairly small wood on private property, and nobody would normally have a reason to go through the woods, although obviously it could happen - how high or solid do you have to make fences? This is the first ever 'near miss' like this that I am aware off, and we just want to explore all avenues to stop there becoming a second one?

There may well not be a cache in the woods itself, that's why I am taking so much time over replying to as many people as I can in order to find out where it actualy is, if possible, and one problem is that we have started getting theft and vandalism insidents on some of the archery courses in this country, so if it isn't in the woods themselves I'd rather keep the exact location private.

"You also did not notify anyone all weekend about a potentially dangerous situation which existed."

On the contrary, I have notified others before posting on here, that's the only way I knew this site existed, and I have now posted on to here as soon as finding it! Like I said, I am an archer, not a geocacher.....

... and we have problems with vandalism and theft from archery courses in this country, so it's not in OUR interest to publicse the locations of them......??

Every business has a telephone. If it was truly an imminent danger, the owner of the property should have been called, as well as Groundspeak. There is also no excuse not to publicize the location either. If the area is really posted, then it should be no secret to anyone what is back there.

So what I suspect is that there are not any caches on the property, and possibly the owner of the archery range could be liable for not posting adequate warnings on the property out of fear of vandalism.

Course, if you are searching on the site yourself, you would not see "premium member" caches, nor would you know where the finals of multis or mysteries or other oddball caches where the final coords are not known unless you solve the puzzle.

The best way is to just ask the local reviewer with the coordinates you encountered the problem at. Perhaps your search could find the cache, but it does not eliminate the potential other caches. As someone said, Geocaching.com is not the only site to list caches but it is the main one.

I am hoping that is the case, but until the 'reviewer' gets back to me I am a bit stuck, as you point out. If this site turns up blank then I'll try any other sites that ppeople can guide me too, but first things first, hopefully?

Our course is in a fairly small wood on private property, and nobody would normally have a reason to go through the woods, although obviously it could happen - how high or solid do you have to make fences?
Any type of fence, as long as it's visible and appears to be maintained, is generally regarded as a sign that one should not pass. Doubly so if you actually mark it as the perimeter of private property which is also a live firing range.

But that still won't stop idiots.

There may well not be a cache in the woods itself, that's why I am taking so much time over replying to as many people as I can in order to find out where it actualy is, if possible, and one problem is that we have started getting theft and vandalism insidents on some of the archery courses in this country, so if it isn't in the woods themselves I'd rather keep the exact location private.
Posting the location here isn't going to increase your theft & vandalism problems. If it's private property and registered to an archery club, then there are already public records that indicate as such. As multiple people here have pointed out, your intentionally being vague is only making it harder for us to help you.

Every business has a telephone. If it was truly an imminent danger, the owner of the property should have been called, as well as Groundspeak. There is also no excuse not to publicize the location either. If the area is really posted, then it should be no secret to anyone what is back there.

So what I suspect is that there are not any caches on the property, and possibly the owner of the archery range could be liable for not posting adequate warnings on the property out of fear of vandalism.

Mmm, actually my business doen't have a telephone number, on purpose - and although most business' do, it's not always easy or practical to find the correct number of get someone to actually answer a phone, especially at the weekend?

I also can't understand why you think EVRYONE has heard of Groundspeak, I never have till today so why would I suddenly find the ability to call them a couple of days ago?

All of this activity on here is down to me personally in order to try and provide some details back to the archery club of what I have tried to do and the sort of information and help that is available?

Like I said, we are a field archery club that use a small woods for a specific purpose, we are not geocachers, or property owners.

This was the first 'near miss' that I know of at the club, I am hoping we can avoid there ever being a second if at all possible?

Posting the location here isn't going to increase your theft & vandalism problems. If it's private property and registered to an archery club, then there are already public records that indicate as such. As multiple people here have pointed out, your intentionally being vague is only making it harder for us to help you.

This. As someone said previously, you haven't stumbled upon an archery theft ring. You aren't risking anything by giving us the location.

Many of us are members of other geocaching websites as well. If you give us a location, we can look for published geocaches listed on other services and immediately post warnings telling other geocachers to stay far away from your club. Bing, bang, boom - problem solved.

I am hoping that is the case, but until the 'reviewer' gets back to me I am a bit stuck, as you point out. If this site turns up blank then I'll try any other sites that ppeople can guide me too, but first things first, hopefully?

For what its worth, if the archery club in question happens to be Wellingborough Open Archery Club (just a guess), there are no geocaches registered anywhere near the location listed on their website.

There are also no geocaches located in Harwick Woods or Skywell Woods, if the range in question is the Skywell Range belonging to the Northhampton Archery Club.

Our course is in a fairly small wood on private property, and nobody would normally have a reason to go through the woods, although obviously it could happen - how high or solid do you have to make fences?
Any type of fence, as long as it's visible and appears to be maintained, is generally regarded as a sign that one should not pass. Doubly so if you actually mark it as the perimeter of private property which is also a live firing range.

But that still won't stop idiots.

I do appreciate you trying to help, although other people offering advice like shooting 'intruders' in the ankle is probably not the sort of thing I wanted to hear (even in jest) so maybe you can understand my reticense? The woods are actually registered in the owners name, I believe, not the archery clubs as we do not actually OWN them, so there would not necessarily be any information out there linking the two together?

If you are so concern about safely, you need to release the general area of where the range is. Until you do it, your messages here fall on deaf ears. So much of wasted of hot air in here. Is it an illegal ranges and you dont want the government to know where its? Was it a home setup ranges with no signs up and you just want to make us look bad by adding untrue stuffs to the story?

Another thing, never group everybody in a lump! Never! Most of us in this section of the forum are from USA and not in England.

I find your messages here full of holes and got a feeling you are making this whole thing up.

Have a nice day. :ph34r: :ph34r:

For what its worth, if the archery club in question happens to be Wellingborough Open Archery Club (just a guess), there are no geocaches registered anywhere near the location listed on their website.

There are also no geocaches located in Harwick Woods or Skywell Woods, if the range in question is the Skywell Range belonging to the Northhampton Archery Club.

Not really sure where you got any of those locations from, but they aren't the locations concerned in any case.

This was the first 'near miss' that I know of at the club, I am hoping we can avoid there ever being a second if at all possible?

Great.

Go here:

http://maps.google.com

Find your club and zoom on on the location as much as possible. Click the "link" button and post a link to the location on this board. If there's a posted cache, we can do the rest.

I'm guessing Red Rose Archers, near Little Houghton. If I'm right, then that would indeed put a multi-cache and a traditional cache nearby. Of course, without the OP's cooperation, guessing is the best that we can do.

Here is the map of caches in that area: http://www.geocaching.com/map/?ll=53.5454,-1.36123

If you are so concern about safely, you need to release the general area of where the range is. Until you do it, your messages here fall on deaf ears. So much of wasted of hot air in here. Is it an illegal ranges and you dont want the government to know where its? Was it a home setup ranges with no signs up and you just want to make us look bad by adding untrue stuffs to the story?

Another thing, never group everybody in a lump! Never! Most of us in this section of the forum are from USA and not in England.

I find your messages here full of holes and got a feeling you are making this whole thing up.

Sorry, it's a totally legitimate archery club with it's own course, own committe, own accounts, and affiliated to one of the main archery bodies in the UK.

I am sorry for any offence caused, however, and were I making this all up I wouldn't have sent the details to the 'reviewer' for them to check?

Maybe if we do have an accident, this site will allow me to post the pictures for 'proof' for you, I seriously hope that never becomes a reality though.....

Not really sure where you got any of those locations from, but they aren't the locations concerned in any case.

I'm doing the best I can to try to locate said geocache so we can help you out. Your cooperation would be very much appreciated.

You seem to be about the most helpful person on here (but not the only one!)

Is there any way I can email you withthe details I have please?

My best guess so far would be this complicated, many staged multi-cache. It would be very easy for someone to get the final coordinates wrong and go looking somewhere they're not supposed to be: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2MXR5

One finder wrote:

We all had a wander around Lt Houghton last year and picked up all the clues, but with my loathing of multi puzzles somehow managed to mess up the coords. Back home I set about correcting the one I had made a mistake on and plotted a likely GZ.

And another:

unfortunately I'd written the answer to one of the stages wrong, which meant I couldn't go and get the cache at the time.

Once I'd checked with the CO, it was apparent what my mistake was so it was nice and easy to rectify.

And yet another:

Unfortunately I had been a little hasty and gathered one piece of information incorrectly so that when we worked out the final co-ords it located the cache about 6km away which didn't sound quite right!!

I haven't read this whole thread but I gotta say, people like you scare the hell outta me. Learn to know what the heck you are shooting at. Know your backstop. People can get lost and wander off in the wrong direction. It happens every day. I'm not excusing someone for being where they shouldn't be. But you are the one with the deadly weapon in your hands. You are the one who is responsible for what, or who, you kill.

I'm doing the best I can to try to locate said geocache so we can help you out. Your cooperation would be very much appreciated.

Yes, you can email me from my profile page: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=388495

But as one of the "most helpful people" here, I will try to convince you one more time that there is NO harm done by posting the location here in the forums. You would need to understand how caches are listed and retrieved by geocachers to understand that, so please just trust us on that.

Yes, you can email me from my profile page: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=388495

But as one of the "most helpful people" here, I will try to convince you one more time that there is NO harm done by posting the location here in the forums. You would need to understand how caches are listed and retrieved by geocachers to understand that, so please just trust us on that.

Okay thanks for that, I did just email another premier member who contacted me privately, if there is something there I'll let you know.

If it is Red Rose Archers, I'm not sure why you have been so vague and withheld the location. As you can see in the post I made earlier, the Club even has a link to a custom google map right on the website.

Oh, geeze! I guess I should have checked your links before doing my own footwork! You had it much sooner than I did! (assuming that is the club, of course)

Respecting the wishes of the OP - will not give out details but can confirm there is no traditional cache near the range. There are however several puzzles within 2 miles, and also several multis. The puzzles aren't obvious ones (to me at least!), and the multis would require going there. So while we can speculate, really now a reviewer is needed (or a local who has found all the caches in the area) - to confirm if there is a cache near the range or not.

As others have said, it could be an error by the finder on a multi or puzzle which took them to the wrong place.

I have my own reasons for neither confirming or denying where this location is, so please guess away all you want.

I have a couple of people looking at the actual details now, which is what I really needed in the first place, so many thanks to those that have been kind enough to try and help, and not quite so many thanks to those who seemed to think it's a bit of a joke, hopefully it won't be one of you I am looking down my arrow at next time....

Respecting the wishes of the OP - will not give out details but can confirm there is no traditional cache near the range. There are however several puzzles within 2 miles, and also several multis. The puzzles aren't obvious ones (to me at least!), and the multis would require going there. So while we can speculate, really now a reviewer is needed (or a local who has found all the caches in the area) - to confirm if there is a cache near the range or not.

As others have said, it could be an error by the finder on a multi or puzzle which took them to the wrong place.

I believe reviewer Antheia has been lumbered is dealing with this

contact her thru her profile http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=58f91f8f-f9c7-4427-97bf-890e464b7bb1

But feel free to message me a GC number (if only to satisfy my own curiosity)

Maybe check the recent logs for, "I finally found this tough cache, but what an adventure! *** I've uploaded my new geocaching hat!"

janglesgeocachinghat.jpg

By ohiosioux at 2012-09-11

I have my own reasons for neither confirming or denying where this location is, so please guess away all you want.

I have a couple of people looking at the actual details now, which is what I really needed in the first place, so many thanks to those that have been kind enough to try and help, and not quite so many thanks to those who seemed to think it's a bit of a joke, hopefully it won't be one of you I am looking down my arrow at next time....

When you post in ALL CAPS with a screen name of Danger Warning, and tell forum users of an incident which occurred 3 days ago, but are unwilling to share details of it's location, it's difficult to take you seriously.

Archery ranges are not in secret locations, and adequate warnings at the location should indicate there is a range located there.

Here it is 6 hours later from the original post and there are finally now people looking into this.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Well, I found only one with a "Found it" log from today, 9/11/12. Would be curious to hear what that guy says.

I haven't read this whole thread but I gotta say, people like you scare the hell outta me. Learn to know what the heck you are shooting at. Know your backstop. People can get lost and wander off in the wrong direction. It happens every day. I'm not excusing someone for being where they shouldn't be. But you are the one with the deadly weapon in your hands. You are the one who is responsible for what, or who, you kill.

+1

I once wandered into the middle of an archery course while searching for a cache. Interestingly enough this course was in a public park and not well marked. I knew something was up when I saw all of the bales of hay and the shooting platforms. The only sign indicating its existence was on the path leading in. For those of us approaching through the woods there was no warning.

Thankfully it was inactive at the time.

I walked onto a military shooting range- FROM THE WRONG SIDE when I was very young and foolish. I had no idea it was there of course.

We had gotten onto this deserted beach, and then walked through the dunes to leave and found ourselves on the wrong side of some pretty large targets.

Luckily they were not shooting. We would have heard anyway, had they been firing.

You have never seen anyone leave quicker!!!!

+1

+2

I once wandered into the middle of an archery course while searching for a cache. Interestingly enough this course was in a public park and not well marked. I knew something was up when I saw all of the bales of hay and the shooting platforms. The only sign indicating its existence was on the path leading in. For those of us approaching through the woods there was no warning.

I walked onto a military shooting range- FROM THE WRONG SIDE when I was very young and foolish. I had no idea it was there of course.

We had gotten onto this deserted beach, and then walked through the dunes to leave and found ourselves on the wrong side of some pretty large targets.

Luckily they were not shooting. We would have heard anyway, had they been firing.

I drove into Fort Dix during artillery practice. They had blocked off all of the main entrances, so I assumed the other roads were okay since they were not blocked. Other than a bunch of guys in camo look at me oddly and make wild hand gestures to leave, they didn't say anything. I suppose they were busy. Another cacher has told me that he did the exact same thing. Nobody intentionally does stuff like that unless adequate warnings are absent.

I believe reviewer Antheia has been lumbered is dealing with this

contact her thru her profile http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=58f91f8f-f9c7-4427-97bf-890e464b7bb1

But feel free to message me a GC number (if only to satisfy my own curiosity)

Let us know if there really is a cache by a shooting range. We're dying to know if there really is a cache right there. But then caches are put a lot of crazy places inadvertently.

I believe I have located the cache in question, and it was archived two days ago because of the archery club.

icon_smile.gif Found it 09/08/2012 The problem with solving puzzles and then forgetting about them is you forget those massive warning signs in green on the cache listing, however there were warning signs from my direction of approach, although they do only mention the 3rd Sunday, and not the fact that Archers could be practicing at any time.

I tentatively made my way to gz, although I must admit I nearly did turn around and give up when I heard the sound of arrow hitting target very nearby (I was on the path too)

I got within 120 feet of gz when another archer appeared, he looked surprised to see me so I asked if it was safe for me to be walking around, given there were men armed with cross bows in the woods, he said not, especially as I was walking around in the opposite direction to the way the course is laid out.

I carried on my way and found the cache, although it was out in the open and upside down, so I signed the slightly damp log and replaced as per the hint, I then made sure I found the archer again, so he could point the safe way out of the woods back to the car. I did catch up with him and he asked if I was geocaching so I told him I was, he didn't know there was a cache in here and has asked me to contact the cache owner to ask for it to be removed as it is not safe for people to be walking around as the members of the archery club could be there every day and at any time of day and he would hate for there to be any accidents, so I will raise this with the CO via an email.

Followed by:

traffic_cone.gifArchived

Thanks to everyone that has found this over the past 4 years but due to the Archers now using this site at any day and time for everyone's safety it's best that this one is laid to rest.

Thanks to Gaz Zippy for letting us know.

Lorri & Kev

The "Massive warning signs in green" on the cache page that the first log mentions is a large green block containing the following text:

PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS A LOVELY LOCATION BUT IS USED BY THE LOCAL ARCHERY CLUB ON THE 3RD SUNDAY OF THE MONTH, SO IT IS NOT ADVISABLE TO ATTEMPT THE CACHE ON THOSE SUNDAYS OR IN THE DARK AS MARKER POSTS ARE ON THE GROUND AND COULD BE A TRIPPING HAZARD SO PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP.

WE WOULD RECOMMEND YOU STAY TO THE PATHS AS THE ARCHERS COULD BE PRACTICING AT ANY TIME.THEY WILL PUT A SIGN UP AT THE ENTRANCE SO YOU WILL KNOW TO BE EXTRA CAREFUL.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR CHILDREN AND DOGS WITH YOU AS WE WOULD NOT WISH ANYBODY TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT.

THIS CAN BE A DANGEROUS AREA SO TAKE CARE AT ALL TIMES.

Edited by knowschad

I believe I have located the cache in question, and it was archived two days ago because of the archery club.

icon_smile.gif Found it 09/08/2012 The problem with solving puzzles and then forgetting about them is you forget those massive warning signs in green on the cache listing, however there were warning signs from my direction of approach, although they do only mention the 3rd Sunday, and not the fact that Archers could be practicing at any time.

I tentatively made my way to gz, although I must admit I nearly did turn around and give up when I heard the sound of arrow hitting target very nearby (I was on the path too)

I got within 120 feet of gz when another archer appeared, he looked surprised to see me so I asked if it was safe for me to be walking around, given there were men armed with cross bows in the woods, he said not, especially as I was walking around in the opposite direction to the way the course is laid out.

I carried on my way and found the cache, although it was out in the open and upside down, so I signed the slightly damp log and replaced as per the hint, I then made sure I found the archer again, so he could point the safe way out of the woods back to the car. I did catch up with him and he asked if I was geocaching so I told him I was, he didn't know there was a cache in here and has asked me to contact the cache owner to ask for it to be removed as it is not safe for people to be walking around as the members of the archery club could be there every day and at any time of day and he would hate for there to be any accidents, so I will raise this with the CO via an email.

Followed by:

traffic_cone.gifArchived

Thanks to everyone that has found this over the past 4 years but due to the Archers now using this site at any day and time for everyone's safety it's best that this one is laid to rest.

Thanks to Gaz Zippy for letting us know.

Lorri & Kev

Problem is taken care of. Can we go caching now?

I drove into Fort Dix during artillery practice. They had blocked off all of the main entrances, so I assumed the other roads were okay since they were not blocked. Other than a bunch of guys in camo look at me oddly and make wild hand gestures to leave, they didn't say anything. I suppose they were busy. Another cacher has told me that he did the exact same thing. Nobody intentionally does stuff like that unless adequate warnings are absent.

I was once out caching in a nature park where hunting is prohibited...except on the morning I happened to be out there. They had HUGE orange signs at every point of entrance for the park...except for the parking lot I chose. I was very lucky that nothing bad became of it.

My point is that things happen. Sometimes people wander into places that they are not supposed to be whether it is intentional or not. Regardless, I thought the first rule of shooting was "Know your target...and beyond!" I'm not excusing anyone for tresspassing but (as I said) it happens.

I agree with all of the points made herein, and wondered why anyone would respond to the OP as it was set forth in vagarities of the worst sort.