Which GPS for this newbie

Shadowharte

My budget is about 200 USD, but if it is in euro that is not overly bad. I am currently trying to choose between the Magellan eXplorist GC and the 310 counterpart. I am not sure which to get. I will be out caching on a regular basis. (most likely every weekend) I am a US Army soldier currently stationed in Germany. I will not be here forever, but I wish to purchase a gps that is good for both europe, the states, and canada (have some family up there that I can go caching with.) I will be buying the premium membership for the website as well once I get my gps. If you have any suggestions besides the above stated I will look into them, as long as they do not break the bank. I do wish to have paperless geocaching. I have been using my android phone, making it possible to log my visit as I find them. I am not sure if any of the gps units actually allow you to do that. If not I can just upload it later, not that big a deal. My battery does not last on my phone very long, my phone is also extremely slow and unresponsive when using anything that accesses the gps on it. I need a bit of help here, thanks in advance!

I am not so sure about the eTrex 20, I was told to shy away from garmin. The Magellan units were suggested to me because of the worldwide map that comes on them. Having detailed for US and Europe would make it easier, I was also informed that the garmin maps are overly expensive and do not support the free maps other units can support. (such as inter city maps/ sattelite imagery maps)

Edit: I was looking at the 510 from magellan as well, but not sure if it is as geocache friendly as the GC plus the reviews from amazon were not so terrific

Edited by Shadowharte

I am not so sure about the eTrex 20, I was told to shy away from garmin. The Magellan units were suggested to me because of the worldwide map that comes on them. Having detailed for US and Europe would make it easier, I was also informed that the garmin maps are overly expensive and do not support the free maps other units can support. (such as inter city maps/ sattelite imagery maps)

Edit: I was looking at the 510 from magellan as well, but not sure if it is as geocache friendly as the GC plus the reviews from amazon were not so terrific

This is purely false information and should be disregarded. Completely.

Garmin GPSr units have a better aftermarket following and support group than all other brands combined.

Garmin GPSr units will support non OE maps, so many very high quality versions available at GPSFileDepot.

Free routable OSM maps for Garmin GPSr units can be found here.

Garmin simply makes the finest handheld GPSr units available today.

Make you own decision, but do your research first.

And shame on those who would post second hand hear-say as fact here to misguide others.

Shame.

This is purely false information and should be disregarded. Completely.

Garmin GPSr units have a better aftermarket following and support group than all other brands combined.

Garmin GPSr units will support non OE maps, so many very high quality versions available at GPSFileDepot.

Free routable OSM maps for Garmin GPSr units can be found here.

Garmin simply makes the finest handheld GPSr units available today.

Make you own decision, but do your research first.

And shame on those who would post second hand hear-say as fact here to misguide others.

Shame.

The info was not from a geocaching.com forum poster. I received it from a few people that I have met through work. I basically want a easy to use GPS primarily for geocaching as this will be the most used feature if not the only feature used (at least for a while) I want as much bang for my buck as possible, I like bells and whistles, but the wife dislikes the idea of me buying something as expensive as the magellan 610/710. I used my android phone and it happened to have the availability to use satellite images which was real nice, mainly for the fact it took so long to update where I actually was with the gps on it that I wanted to see if we were in the correct location while waiting on the arrow to stop jumping around the map mile by mile. I like the idea of free maps, the more detailed for maps the better, as I stated before I am in an area very unfamiliar to me and would like street maps and such as well

The info was not from a geocaching.com forum poster. I received it from a few people that I have met through work. I basically want a easy to use GPS primarily for geocaching as this will be the most used feature if not the only feature used....

I was just trying to help you not make a poor decision based on something like this...

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night!"

:blink: