Artificial Island as an EarthCache?

Nighthawk700

I think it would depend a great deal on the write up. Strictly speaking, I don't think a man-made island would qualify. It wouldn't be an example of the geological processes that shape our Earth. The first guideline states: "They take people to sites that can help explain the formation of landscapes or to sites of interesting phenomena such as folds, faults, intrusions."

That said, there may still be ways to provide a geological lesson. Just be prepared that you might need to do a bit of extra effort to get it to meet the guidelines. Perhaps there are comparisons that can be made between a natural island and the man-made one? Perhaps the island has had impacts on the surrounding geology? You need to consider the things that a visitor can learn about how the Earth is naturally formed, then focus your EarthCache on those aspects.

Perhaps if you could provide more details about the island, I could offer better suggestions.

Good luck.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm doing a CITO near this island, and wanted to place a few different type of caches near by as well. (Plus I've been wanting to place an EarthCache for a while). http://cblights.com/lights/fortcarroll.html

I'm having a hard time finding anything geologically significant (either near the CITO or in general). I'll have to keep on looking.

Why don't you try to develop an EarthCache on Chesapeake Bay? I see there is one nearby that deals mostly with the watershed/estuary and another for the bolide, but there is not really one that discusses how the Bay formed. The watershed one provides some of that info in their cache write up, but the lesson is mainly on the watershed.

You could discuss things like how the rise and fall of the sea level has shaped this area. Just google "geology Chesapeake Bay" and you should get a few links that might help. The tough part might be trying to come up with some good site-specific logging tasks.

I think it would depend a great deal on the write up. Strictly speaking, I don't think a man-made island would qualify. It wouldn't be an example of the geological processes that shape our Earth. The first guideline states: "They take people to sites that can help explain the formation of landscapes or to sites of interesting phenomena such as folds, faults, intrusions."

The guidelines refer to the forces that create the landscape, that does not require them to be geological, mand-made forces should be legit. But I agree you would need to work extra-hard to make it educational. Maybe see if someone has done any earthcaches in Holland, plenty of man-made forces affected the landscape there!

Okay, so I never went ahead with the artificial island I originally asked about. Someone else contacted me and said he was working on something similar in the same area and asked if he could finish it.

But since those of you who answered seemed very knowledgeable on Earthcaches, (and some of you look like you might even be reviewers), I wanted to bounce off another idea. I recently found out that near this Earthcache (http://coord.info/GCQV5X) there is one of the seismic measuring devices used to detect and report earthquakes. I found a webpage describing why this is an ideal location, based on the geology (some of which is covered in the existing EC, but it only covers the mining aspect), and how the monitoring station works. I'm hoping to swing by to find the actual antenna / monitoring site and use that as an EC, with lots of information about how and why this site was chosen for that reason. There is also supposed to be an information sign near by, plus I'd like to see the makeup of the antenna and whatever other information would be located on site. Assuming the antenna is not right over the mine used for the existing EC, would this be enough of a different focus to warrant a second EC in the area?

Thanks again.

Nighthawk700

Okay, so I never went ahead with the artificial island I originally asked about. Someone else contacted me and said he was working on something similar in the same area and asked if he could finish it.

But since those of you who answered seemed very knowledgeable on Earthcaches, (and some of you look like you might even be reviewers), I wanted to bounce off another idea. I recently found out that near this Earthcache (http://coord.info/GCQV5X) there is one of the seismic measuring devices used to detect and report earthquakes. I found a webpage describing why this is an ideal location, based on the geology (some of which is covered in the existing EC, but it only covers the mining aspect), and how the monitoring station works. I'm hoping to swing by to find the actual antenna / monitoring site and use that as an EC, with lots of information about how and why this site was chosen for that reason. There is also supposed to be an information sign near by, plus I'd like to see the makeup of the antenna and whatever other information would be located on site. Assuming the antenna is not right over the mine used for the existing EC, would this be enough of a different focus to warrant a second EC in the area?

Thanks again.

Nighthawk700

Well the topic is certainly different, so I don't think you would have any issues there. It also doesn't matter how close it is to the existing EarthCache - the 0.10 mile guideline doesn't apply to EarthCaches.

One thing you would need to consider is if the seismograph is located in an area that is open to the public. If it is inside someone's private office, then I'm not sure if this would work. It could be difficult to develop site-specific logging tasks. Certainly worth investigating though. The EarthCache Reviewer for Maryland is geoawareCA: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=7e13dbcf-c440-400b-9e33-f1aee9a2acc2 They might be able to provide further assistance.

Good luck.

Ah, another bust. There is absolutely no indication that there is a seismic monitoring station there. The only reason I knew it was there was the folks at the visitors center told me which building it was in. (an old hunting lodge, now with three locks on the door) There wasn't even a sign or a plaque indicating the significance. And the guidelines state "6. Logging an EarthCache requires that visitors undertake an educational task relating to the specific Earth Science at the site." About the only thing I could think of having people do was jump up and down, then call up the seismic readings on the internet and look for their bounces. However, I don't think the folks in the seismic monitoring office would like that much. ;-) Ah well, I'll find something else to do. The hunt continues.