Place to Host Event in downtown Seattle

Faerbers

I will be attending the National Council for the Social Studies Annual Conference in Seattle, November 15-18. I'd like like to host (or co-host) an event somewhere near the convention site, the Washington State Conference Center. Can someone give me advice on a suitable location within walking distance? I have no idea how many other social studies teachers are geocachers, but I'm sure some are. I'd like to encourage locals to attend too. I'm thinking Thursday or Friday evening, or maybe even Saturday. Thanks in advance for your help!

David

Baton Rouge, LA

I suspect nobody has suggested a place because that is a hard area to find a decent place for an event. Parking is terrible and what there is available is expensive and there are few places to meet that won't cost an arm and a leg for a meal.

Would it be possible to meet in a Lobby of the Convention Center? I'm thinking more of people in town for the NCSS conference, which should have 2000+ social studies teachers, but don't want to limit it to them.

With a small enough group, sure you could meet in the lobby, but that's like meeting in the entryway of a small skyscraper (which, being the entry of the 16-story One Convention Place tower, it is). A better location in the convention center would be the second floor atrium, behind the escalators. It's more like food court seating, so is less likely to get security trying to chase you out, especially if a few of you grab a juice from the nearby café.

Otherwise, there's also a food court on the fifth floor of Westlake Center, and the Central branch of Seattle Public Library has meeting rooms you can reserve (for a fee). If the group is really small, you might be lucky enough to find a Starbucks downtown (if you head the wrong direction, there may only be one on your block) and hang out there.

With a small enough group, sure you could meet in the lobby, but that's like meeting in the entryway of a small skyscraper (which, being the entry of the 16-story One Convention Place tower, it is). A better location in the convention center would be the second floor atrium, behind the escalators. It's more like food court seating, so is less likely to get security trying to chase you out, especially if a few of you grab a juice from the nearby café.

Otherwise, there's also a food court on the fifth floor of Westlake Center, and the Central branch of Seattle Public Library has meeting rooms you can reserve (for a fee). If the group is really small, you might be lucky enough to find a Starbucks downtown (if you head the wrong direction, there may only be one on your block) and hang out there.

There is also a Subway and Starbucks on the third floor of the Convention Center at the same end of the center as the juice bar but to the right of the escalators as you're coming up.

And, unless it's archived (can't check now), there is a micro outside on that level.

Edited by TotemLake

There is also a Subway and Starbucks on the third floor of the Convention Center at the same end of the center as the juice bar but to the right of the escalators as you're coming up.

And, unless it's archived (can't check now), there is a micro outside on that level.

The convention center second floor atrium sounds like a good place for this event. Would you suggest using the coords to "WOOF" and giving instructions to atrium or adjusting coords? I think the sooner I post this event the better. Thanks for you help.

David

The convention center second floor atrium sounds like a good place for this event. Would you suggest using the coords to "WOOF" and giving instructions to atrium or adjusting coords? I think the sooner I post this event the better. Thanks for you help.

David

I would probably offset coordinates from Woof. Woof is in bottleneck corridor. The patio just north of Woof can handle an impromptu crowd better.

I'd give directions, not just coordinates. The combination of signal bounce off of the concrete canyon walls and the possibility of locations on multiple levels combined with maze-like entrances and walkways would make it difficult for anyone to find the location based on coordinates alone. I'd half expect that auto-routing would take you along I-5 under the convention center, and -- presto! -- "you have reached your destination."

I'd give directions, not just coordinates. The combination of signal bounce off of the concrete canyon walls and the possibility of locations on multiple levels combined with maze-like entrances and walkways would make it difficult for anyone to find the location based on coordinates alone. I'd half expect that auto-routing would take you along I-5 under the convention center, and -- presto! -- "you have reached your destination."

I set it up for Friday, November 16th 6pm. Please stop by and visit!