Login issues from Delorme "Cache Register" and "Topo 9.0"

traingreg

Hi,

In July I changed my password on geocaching.com. Since then I gave not been able to log into Delorme's Topo 9.0 or Cache Register to pick up my PQs.

I am able to log into the iPhone app and through the website. There are others with this problem, which has been discussed in the Delorme forums.

I have installed Cache Register on a "clean machine" but it still will not let me log on.

traingreg

Hi,

In July I changed my password on geocaching.com. Since then I gave not been able to log into Delorme's Topo 9.0 or Cache Register to pick up my PQs.

I am able to log into the iPhone app and through the website. There are others with this problem, which has been discussed in the Delorme forums.

I have installed Cache Register on a "clean machine" but it still will not let me log on.

traingreg

It should be noted that it tells me the password is incorrect. I have checked many times and it is not incorrect. This happened when I changed my password on geocaching.com

The cause of this problem is that DeLorme is using an old obsolete version of our API. When we recently modernized our password handling on the site, anyone who changed their password would see it break any app using the old method of password handling, including Cache Register. We are initiating talks with DeLorme to get them to move to our current API.

I have not changed my password, ever. I am suddenly having this issue as well. There is still no fix for this?

Within the past week something has changed on Groundspeak's side since I cannot upload my field notes through Topo 9. I guess Moun10Bike's answer is why, but it's strange that it just started happening to me since nothing has changed on my side. Perhaps preparing for the upcoming upgrade caused this...

It's not a big issue for me since I can just manually upload my field notes.

Does anyone know if Topo 10 fixes this issue?

I just started having the same issue. Geocaching.com says its Delorme. Delorme says its Geocaching.com

Due to password management changes on the www.geocaching.com website the Topo North America 9.0, Topo North America 10.0, and Cache Register programs are no longer able to automatically download pocket queries from or upload field notes to geocaching.com.

I just started having the same issue. Geocaching.com says its Delorme. Delorme says its Geocaching.com

Due to password management changes on the www.geocaching.com website the Topo North America 9.0, Topo North America 10.0, and Cache Register programs are no longer able to automatically download pocket queries from or upload field notes to geocaching.com.

This is very frustrating and installing pocket queries using cache register is the biggest reason I got a premium membership and spent the money on my Delorme PN-60. This has been a problem for many months for me and left me wondering if I should quit all together. Our geocaching experience has gone from great to so long. It's a shame because it was a great father/son activity and now we never go geocaching because it is such a pain. Thanks for resolving this quickly... not.

This is very frustrating and installing pocket queries using cache register is the biggest reason I got a premium membership and spent the money on my Delorme PN-60. This has been a problem for many months for me and left me wondering if I should quit all together. Our geocaching experience has gone from great to so long. It's a shame because it was a great father/son activity and now we never go geocaching because it is such a pain. Thanks for resolving this quickly... not.

Remember that you can connect the PN-60 so it looks like a disk -- Settings, Connect to Computer, then from the pull down menu select either Open Internal Drive or Open SD Card (if you have one) -- then copy the GPX files from the PQ's zip file into the PN-60's waypoints directory. While I understand that some people found it easier to use Cache Register or Topo when those utilities used to work, I've always used the direct file copy method myself.

I see the problem sitting mostly on Delorme's shoulders. They were given plenty of notice about the API changes and did nothing about it. The API change was gradually phased in, first both log ins worked, then the old only worked if you hadn't changed your password, then the old didn't work at all. The best Geocaching.com can do is make Delorme aware of the changes, which they did. They can't rewrite the code that doesn't belong to them.

For those who think the old log in code should've remained functional, we don't know why it was changed. It is possible the old method had a security flaw that needed to be eliminated.

For now, I am using GSAK in order to combine the two .gpx files, the caches and child waypoints, then exporting to my PN-60. A few extra clicks, but still works.