HELP FROM MUGGLES

Ma & Pa

We have a cache at a popular tourist attraction. Stealth is required to get it and newbies ofen have trouble finding it. It seems that staff there have become aware of the caache and help cachers to find it. I think that is great.

http://coord.info/GC17V2B

Found it but I had a little help. I was brushing away some of the hundreds of spider webs when I heard a voice behind me asking if I was looking for something. Thanks.

After a lovely day at the beach, we stopped for a photo op, to buy the obligatory post card, and to grab the cache. A quick find, made even quicker by a helpful staff person.

Staff here know what it is :)

This was the second one Ive ever tried to find first one being unsuccessful and had to get a bit of help on this one but sure and glad I finally found my first one!!!

Got some help from the local worker.

Nous avons eu l'aide d'un homme qui nous a guidé pour trouvé la cache.

Le monsieur de l'entretien voyait que je cherchais quelque chose et m'a demandé si je cherchais le "treasure". Il était bien au courant et m'a aidé, j'étais à quelques centimètres de la cache !

I've found a couple caches that were pointed out by someone who works in the immediate area.

I really don't mind, but when this has happened the person has pointed right at the cache.

I just thank them, then let them know most cachers would like to hunt a little, and ask that they don't give it away completely, unless asked to. :huh::P

Stealth is required to get it and newbies ofen have trouble finding it. It seems that staff there have become aware of the caache and help cachers to find it. I think that is great.

Seems to me that they should have been aware of it BEFORE it was even placed.

Not necessarily. An owner or manager may not have informed the staff. Strangely, they do not always make geocache awareness part of their training manual for new hires.

Stealth is required to get it and newbies ofen have trouble finding it. It seems that staff there have become aware of the caache and help cachers to find it. I think that is great.

Seems to me that they should have been aware of it BEFORE it was even placed.

Not necessarily. An owner or manager may not have informed the staff. Strangely, they do not always make geocache awareness part of their training manual for new hires.

I was looking for a cache one time, when the people in the office came out and gave me a hard time. I thought for sure the cache had been placed without permission. It turns out the cache was placed with permission of the Doctor, but the staff was never told. :unsure:

The CO talked with the doctor, and he informed the staff. Seem to work, as no one else has had a problem.

I have this cache which the security guards are well aware of and seem to have fun helping cachers out finding it:

As we approached this one, there were tons of muggles that we had to wait out and avoid. One of them was a security guard who was taking in the view of everybody so we tried really hard to not look like we were searching for something. DCM went in to look in one area and then was warned by LM that The security guard is coming! The security guard is coming! We quickly started to turn away and try to evacuate when the guard yelled out, Hey there, did you find it yet? What a relief that was! When we replied no, he went around to a better angle, made the retrieval and then even offered to replace it as we continued to talk about where we were from and this crazy hobby. He was the friendliest and most helpful guy and wanted us to be sure to put in the logs that if the next seekers cant find it, be sure to look for him and he will love to help! New Yorkers are awesome and we are loving this city. Thanks for another POPS cache!
TFTC and to Antony the security guard, after a quick search, I saw the security guard looking at me, then smiling, then asking : "Did you find it ?". We had a short talk, I tried to show him how Geocaching works on an Iphone..
Saw not only Anthony, but another security guard, Richard, who were both helpful and enthusiastic about helping. Not really needed, but always good to have security on your side!

a933ee84-6585-422b-9067-f278c888afb4.jpg

Anthony

Edited by slukster

IN NYC a few years ago we were having problems finding a cache on a traffic island when I looked across the street and saw a doorman at an apartment pointing to the location of the cache. I went over to see him later but he was too busy to chat except to say that he had no idea what we were doing, but had seen many people looking for it..

We have had a couple of other incidents where muggles from nearby businesses helped us locate a cache, but had no interest at all in caching.

The most interesting time I has was down on the beaches of Waikiki, Hawaii. I was on the grass looking for a cache near a few palm trees and wasn't having any luck at all.

Then a homeless man asked if I was looking for the cache. What?! I said yes and he then told me of another homeless man that stole it and was down over by the tent where they give out food to the homeless. It wasn't far away but I wasn't about to go confront a homeless man just for a cache. No way!

Mother Nature was also calling so I thanked the man, but instead made my way to the beach restrooms.

On my way out I was heading to my car when the helpful homeless man comes after me in tow with a homeless young man. Turn out he took it upon himself to see that the cache was returned into game play. Very odd indeed! But the young man handed my the small nano and shocked a bit I opened it and saw the log was there. I signed it and put the cache back where it should have been, (each palm tree has a metal number tag and the cache was to go behind a certain number)

So that was my strange muggle story. A kindly and proactive homeless man who, I like to think, knows -everything- that goes on in his park. :anibad:

I had a few people laugh at me and told me good luck finding it. <_< Oh yea, they knew where its.

I had help by homeless man in Seattle during the Block Party. I am sure he was busy all day long!!! :unsure:

There was one cache that was somewhat "evil" and I found it pretty fast and carried it to my car to show my dad (hes disable, so he cant hunt but enjoy seeing evil hides)the hide and signed the log and replaced it back, and once I was done, a man come out of the office and told me, I was watching you the whole time!! I asked if he was the CO and he said, no, but the CO is a friend of mine. :ph34r: It was in a pretty busy area with eating place nearby and got plenty of windows all around me. I was bold and marched straight to it during lunch break!

I got a hide close to a coffee shop and cachers are saying that they know about the cache and been helping people find it. What happen was that cachers were buying coffee there before getting back on the freeway. I guess they are enjoying the business its bring.

I tried something very similar too, in the city just across a pup of some sort is a cache hidden a bit tricky,

while looking for it a few guests from the pup run out yell over the busy road and point where it is,

I found it and gave them a thank you wave back :-)

I could see their happy faces when I found it.

I think they sit near the window and see all people looking for it...

I have an interesting story.

Its not so much about finding a cache, which turns out was muggled, but tricking a worker into searching for something else in the hope he would reveal the caches location.

I was looking for a cache, which was a sprinkler head type, located in a garden bed in front of a wall on the corner of a new housing estate. I had searched for the cache the day earlier with no luck, so went back at an earlier time. The GZ was on the corner of a busy road, with a set of traffic lights feeding traffic in and out of the new estate, so it required some stealth the first day, and I put on my fluro vest in the hope I looked like a worker.

The second day I just turned up earlier, hoping the traffic would be less. after searching for a while a worker from the new housing estates sales office came down to install some advertising flags which mount into the wall at the GZ. He installed his flags then asked what I was up too.

I told him my wife was walking the dog here yesterday when it ran through the garden and got off its lead. While all this happend, she lost her silver bangle which was engraved and had sentiment.

So this guy is with me, hand and knee's going through the bushes and mulch. Of course I was hoping he would pick up the cache and say something like ' well thats not it..' and keep searching, while I looked for the real cache.

after another 15 mins I thanked him and said the wife must have lost it else where or its been taken, and I took off.

I contacted the CO who discovered the cache was missing anyway.

still made for an interesting muggle story...

I tried something very similar too, in the city just across a pup of some sort is a cache hidden a bit tricky,

while looking for it a few guests from the pup run out yell over the busy road and point where it is,

I found it and gave them a thank you wave back :-)

I could see their happy faces when I found it.

I think they sit near the window and see all people looking for it...

Sounds like a new hobby.

Sit in a pub drinking beer and watching the trees across the street. If someone goes in there and gets a geocache, you run to the pub log book and log you sighting. If you happened to go out and direct the cacher, you get an additional log. If you convince the cacher to come in for a beer, you get another log. You get to count every point that the cacher earns while he is having a beer with you.

There is a cache in and called "Old Orenco" GC2C5CR in OR that sits across from an old store - with literally stuff from long ago. Here are some of the logs:

"Had a nice chat with the owner of the store. Learned more about its history. The owner had been concerned last week, thinking this was a drug drop. When Police came, they knew what it was & set his mind at ease."

"My first find (aided by an ethereal voice saying, "To the right, to the right...")."

"The old man watched us walking up to the area of the cache and hollered at us asking if we wanted some help. We told him that if we didn't find it in 5 minutes he could give us a hint. But we found it quickly and he ducked back into the store."

"Well I definitely have to say that you better expect to be sidelined. The lady came out and we did not even have a chance to look at all before she was frustrating us. No matter how many times we told her we wanted to look, even her husband told her to go back in the house several times. Had a great talk with him about the area and the building. This couple definitely love having us Geocachers by."

"On my way home from work today and made this grab. The kind lady in the store came out to let me know that she kept it stocked and she wasn't sure it was still there. It was and I replaced it back where her memory said it should be. Figured if she was keeping it stocked she should know where it is. TFTH."

I can beat this.....

My cache, epsecially for the junior cachers - GCTEGJ junior gardener was in a public garden, placed behind the seat.

The local council removed the seat and built a new one in the same place. An adobe seat with all sorts of common items embedded in it..... AND in the rear a letter box just the right size.

They carefully placed the cache in that letter box!

We had one of the tour guides give us a nudge finding a nano on the cruise ship dock in Juneau last month. It was much appreciated in the rain. I had a homeless guy offer to tell me where to find a cache for $10 in Baltimore near a touristy spot a few years ago. I told him he could laugh at my efforts for free instead.