GB SO co-ordinates

HI.4.FJC

I have a Sat Map. I have hidden my Cache's and got a uk SO grid ref number. Eg. SO 79061 39642 I have been onto Earthpoint US, and another website, converted into long and latitude. Put the Cache on the website (still under review) but when it comes up on the website it came up as SO 79061 39645 I have tried this same method with my next co-ords and had the same problem. It shows my cache across the road from where it actually is. It would have my seekers looking in the wrong place! It was ok on the first cache but not so good on the rest.

Why cant we enter SO co-ordinates directly onto the website? Not only is it a pain-in-the-watsits to do but it seems a little pointless. The site puts out as SO's anyway.

Suggestions?

Thanks guys.

I have a Sat Map. I have hidden my Cache's and got a uk SO grid ref number. Eg. SO 79061 39642 I have been onto Earthpoint US, and another website, converted into long and latitude. Put the Cache on the website (still under review) but when it comes up on the website it came up as SO 79061 39645 I have tried this same method with my next co-ords and had the same problem. It shows my cache across the road from where it actually is. It would have my seekers looking in the wrong place! It was ok on the first cache but not so good on the rest.

Why cant we enter SO co-ordinates directly onto the website? Not only is it a pain-in-the-watsits to do but it seems a little pointless. The site puts out as SO's anyway.

Suggestions?

Thanks guys.

The site uses WGS84 with degrees and minutes because that format can identify anywhere in the world, whereas OSGB is only appropriate in the UK. Because each uses a different datum, most conversions from one to the other produce errors. I think an error of 3m in almost 40000m is pretty good :) .

It is better to set your GPS to WGS84 and HDDD mm.mmm for geocaching generally, and certainly for hiding caches as this is what everyone else is using, and you may send searchers to the wrong place

Edited by The Bongtwashes