is Geocaching Jr. Updating

JamesStock

So my daughter is turning 3 in 2 weeks and I am crash coursing this whole geocashing thing.

Very confusing what GPS I should get. I am willing to spend $300 or more maybe. The Geocaching Jr. concept seemed interesting because it is only $70 and who knows how much time we will be doing this. But I read that the updates stopped Dec 31, 2011. Then I have read mixed things about updates coming back recently.

Can anybody tell me if the GeoCaching Jr. has update capabilities now?

Also if anybody has any advice about a good GPS in particular I am all ears. I realize this is perhaps the ultimate newbie question, but I have spent about 3 hours on this and don't have forever to buy as her bday is coming up soon. There amount of GPSs are overwhelming and I read so many different things it is hard to get a proper mental consensus on what is good to get.

I don't really feel like spending $600 on something and then only use a few times. The $70 investment seemed like a good deal and if kid/wife like the concept I can upgrade for Xmas and keep one in the car or whatever.

Anyway, any advice on the geocaching Jr. would be helpful.

I also note that the geo Jr. does not have maps and my daughter like maps because of Dora the Explorer so that is something to consider as well.

There are just so many GPSs out there it is very confusing.

So my daughter is turning 3 in 2 weeks and I am crash coursing this whole geocashing thing.

Very confusing what GPS I should get. I am willing to spend $300 or more maybe. The Geocaching Jr. concept seemed interesting because it is only $70 and who knows how much time we will be doing this. But I read that the updates stopped Dec 31, 2011. Then I have read mixed things about updates coming back recently.

Can anybody tell me if the GeoCaching Jr. has update capabilities now?

Also if anybody has any advice about a good GPS in particular I am all ears. I realize this is perhaps the ultimate newbie question, but I have spent about 3 hours on this and don't have forever to buy as her bday is coming up soon. There amount of GPSs are overwhelming and I read so many different things it is hard to get a proper mental consensus on what is good to get.

I don't really feel like spending $600 on something and then only use a few times. The $70 investment seemed like a good deal and if kid/wife like the concept I can upgrade for Xmas and keep one in the car or whatever.

Anyway, any advice on the geocaching Jr. would be helpful.

I also note that the geo Jr. does not have maps and my daughter like maps because of Dora the Explorer so that is something to consider as well.

There are just so many GPSs out there it is very confusing.

I think you mean the "Geomate, Jr." from Apisphere. I have one, too, for whenever I happen to be caching with friends who have (a) young child(ren) along. I don't know this for a fact, but the last I heard is that Apisphere is no longer (as of August, I think) providing updates for the unit. It does not have maps, and it only displays Traditional Caches, not Multi's, Puzzle/Mysteries, or any other types of caches.

I originally started with a $100 Garmin eTrex (yellow); it's a basic unit and doesn't support additional maps either, but it's inexpensive and will help to get you (and your daughter) your first few finds (mine got me to around 150 or so before I was able to upgrade to a slightly more expensive unit, the eTrex Legend [blue case]).

My sons use a Geomate Jr. and I do believe they are updating the online cache listings at this time. Personally, I don't use those automatic lists as they limit the cache types to "traditional" and limits D/T only up to 4, I think. So I use their stand-alone .gpx loading app to manually load a PQ (the .gpx file) to the Geomate Jr. And if we want to load the Geomate Jr with more than one PQ, I use "Watcher-a GPX Utility" to merge them into one large .gpx and load that one to the Geomate Jr. It's very easy to do and the total time to do ALL of that is about 1 minute :)