Tablet to GPS transfer?

I would not expect any tablet to work with the "send to my gps" plugin as that's OS specific and iOS or Android plugins for that haven't been written. Additionally, a small subset of tablets/phones support the needed USB On The Go in their chipset and the software to work on a GPS that old is kind of complicated (I know - I implemented it for GPSBabel) and the intersection of GPSes that old and tablets/phones that could support them hasn't motivated anyone that I know of to do the work needed to support it.

BTW, saying WHAT tablet you are asking about would help a lot, but for either of the mainstream tablet genres (iPad and Android) I think the answer is the same right now.

I could be wrong.

Has anyone been able to use "Send to My GPS" using a Tablet? We just purchased a new tablet and thinking that it would be nice if when traveling and if we seen a cache that we would like to get it would be great if we could load it into my Map60CSx? Does anyone know if this is possible? We realy don't want to use the tablet for finding a cache.

I've successfully sent a Pocket Query from my Acer A500 to my Garmin Oregon 550T. I downloaded the Zip file from the PQ page, then used the free version of "Astro" file manager, which unzipped the included two files automatically.

[EDIT: The FILES arrived, but my GPSr couldn't find them. This happens sometimes in Windows if I'm in a hurry. Perhaps the file doesn't properly close? Anyway, for now let's just say the whole thing is experimental].

So you can download a GPX file of any cache, and copy it onto your GPSr, if the GPSr behaves like a USB drive which I think it can. Anyway, you can test it for free.

Also, your tablet needs ICS (Android 4). I couldn't get my tablet to recognize the correct drive on the 5505 before ICS.

Edited by kunarion

Out Tablet is Motorola Droid XYBoard

Does it have a USB out port? If you can plug a USB flash drive in, you can plug in a modern GPSr. Does it have "ICS", Android 4? If so, you can try it.

- Save a GPX to the tablet from the web site (or do a Pocket Query and save that).

- Plug the GPSr into the USB port. Be sure it's recognized as a drive.

- Copy the GPX to the GPSr, into the appropriate directory. If you did a Pocket Query, it needs to be Unzipped. The free version of Astro file manager automatically does that, probably the other ones do, too. You will need a file manager to move any files.

As robertlipe mentioned, you can't directly "Send To GPS" as you would on a PC. That requires plugins, drivers, and deep magic that the Android doesn't do.

Edited by kunarion

Won't work. That tablet has a microusb.

How about with an adapter or adapter cable?

Doug 7rxc

I tried to find info on "Motorola Droid XYBoard" support for an external flash drive (which the GPSr becomes when plugged into USB). There are definitive statements online that "it won't work", and that "it works fine with the right cable", and that it won't work unless "rooted". <_< So you get to take your pick of answers!

See if this helps:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/motorola-xyboard/33236-access-files-external-flash-drive-card-reader.html

"The micro USB port also supports USB host, and that means you can use USB peripherals like flash drives and keyboards with the XYBoard if you have a USB host (also called USB OTG) cable. The old Motorola USB host/camera connection cable for the Xoom works, as does Sony's for the Tablet S and various others." And the suggested App is "File Manager HD".

Edited by kunarion

I don't think the the 60CSX can handle a plain old gpx file can it ?

If it can then I've been doing things the hard way (GSAK) for the 4 years that I've owned mine.

Actually GSAK isn't all that hard, but just dropping in a gpx file would be easier.

Edited by the3gmen

Out Tablet is Motorola Droid XYBoard

Does it have a USB out port? If you can plug a USB flash drive in, you can plug in a modern GPSr. Does it have "ICS", Android 4? If so, you can try it.

- Save a GPX to the tablet from the web site (or do a Pocket Query and save that).

- Plug the GPSr into the USB port. Be sure it's recognized as a drive.

- Copy the GPX to the GPSr, into the appropriate directory. If you did a Pocket Query, it needs to be Unzipped. The free version of Astro file manager automatically does that, probably the other ones do, too. You will need a file manager to move any files.

As robertlipe mentioned, you can't directly "Send To GPS" as you would on a PC. That requires plugins, drivers, and deep magic that the Android doesn't do.

For this to work, you need a tablet with a host USB port or cord. You also need a GPSr that can take multiple GPX files.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2,7 inch, and I got a $6 USB host cable. It's OS is Ice Cream Sandwich. I connected my eTrex 20 and it recognized it as a USB drive. Then GPX files of PQs can be transfered. It will not do a send-to-GPS, but should be able to create a GPX file for the individual cache instead and move this file.

This Galaxy Tab has a very quick and sensitive GPS chip. In my house, it gets a position fix in seconds, and receives the Glonass satellites, so that it is using often 17 satellites for the fix.