Transition from eTrex Vista HCx to eTrex 30 - Any helpful hints?

geospyder

I've used my eTrex Vista HCx for a number of years. I just purchaed an eTrex 30. Some definite subtle differences. Multiple maps is a great plus.

Any specific hints, suggestions, etc. that you can share to help in the transition? This will be used 99 percent for Geocaching. Really looking forward to the paperless aspect of the new GPS. I use GSAK for my basic filtering prior to transferring caches to my GPS.

Are you using the Garmin Export macro?

Garmin eTrex wiki here.

Garmin Export? No - I have no idea what it is. My version of GSAK is 8.1.0.10 and I don't see that macro. I've been using GPS>Send Waypoints to transfer the geocaches to the GPS. I've been using File>Export>MapSource File... to send the geocaches to BaseCamp (also new to me).

BTW - I notice that the maps and geocaches go to the internal memory. What is the SD card used for?

I also noticed that while I am able to read all the text for the geocaches, no pictures are available. Is it possible to get the pictures to show on the GPS? A lot of puzzles and virtuals reply on pictures.

Edited by geospyder

The link for the Garmin Export macro was provided.

The macro will allow you to select where to place the exported cache *.gpx - I prefer the uSD card myself.

Getting images to your GPSr from Groundspeak is still a very convoluted process I don't even bother with.

However, OpenCaching makes sending caches, with photos, and keeping them updated, literally a one click process (Simply open their webpage to refresh all caches in a set area).

The link for the Garmin Export macro was provided.

The macro will allow you to select where to place the exported cache *.gpx - I prefer the uSD card myself.

Getting images to your GPSr from Groundspeak is still a very convoluted process I don't even bother with.

However, OpenCaching makes sending caches, with photos, and keeping them updated, literally a one click process (Simply open their webpage to refresh all caches in a set area).

Funny - my sig line is "I see it" but I didn't :rolleyes: Now I have it - thanks. I'll also look into Open Caching. Thanks again.

I recently picked up an eTrex 20 (a terrific sale price prompted me to grab the 20 over the 30) to replace an older Garmin unit that I normally travel with. For grabbing caches while vacationing (or anytime), I like it's small size and big features. Accurate and easy to use, I think you'll be pleased with your eTrex 30 over the older Vista.

Edited by luvvinbird

@Atlas Cached - Thanks again for pointing out the Garmin Export macro. Just the larger text alone is worth it for my old eyes :) I've been slacking lately but with the new GPS and a number of trips planned for the next couple months I hope to snag a few interesting caches.

Absolutely! The Garmin Export macro is very flexible.

Do not be surprised if your Garmin GPSr does not want to successfully load the *.gpx created by the macro the first time. My Oregon(s) and Montana fail about 90% of the time. Two ways to deal with this are:

1> If *.gpx file is on the uSD, remove the uSD, reboot without it, insert uSD, reboot again, repeating until the *.gpx file is properly loaded and indexed.

2> Use your computer to find and rename the *.gpx file with all the caches in it, forcing the GPSr to re-index on the next startup, repeating until successful.

I normally use Method #2, adding suffix 'v2', then 'v3' to the file name until successfully indexed.

Method #1 is your only hope to fix errors while in the field without a computer. This is why I choose to keep all important files on the uSD and not on the device.

I have an eTrex 20. The first thing I did was connect it to my computer and copied EVERY file from the unit to a folder on my computer. In case your eTrex turns into a brick, you may be able to transfer the copied files back to the GPSr.

Also, I put all extra files such as maps, caches, poi's on the SD card. If one of these files get corrupted, you can still use the GPSr by removing the SD card from the unit.

Great unit!