Wireless Sharing Failures with Garmin Montana

Atlas Cached

I am still unable to use Wireless sharing feature with my Montana 650, now running 4.40 ~ Tested today with Dakota 20, Oregon 450, 550t, and Colorado 400t. I could never send more than one waypoint from the Montana, after which it would freeze and require removing batteries to reboot, and I was unable to receive ANY transmissions from my other units. I attempted Tracks, Waypoints and Geocaches.

Garmin Montana Wiki Bugs 14, 15:

Unable to Receive Wireless Transfers from other Garmin ANT equipped devices. Each attempt results in "Wireless Connection Lost. Attempting to reconnect." and "Searching...". [

] [ALWAYS] [18FEB12] [3.90] [4.01] [4.10] [4.20] [4.40]

Wireless Transfers to other Garmin ANT equipped devices cease functioning after two or three successful transmissions. All further attempts fail until rebooting device. [ALWAYS] [3.90] [18FEB12] [4.01] [4.10] [4.20] [4.40]

Anyone else?

The wireless sharing hang-up of the Montana, can lead to loss of all of your geocaches. So if you don't have a possibility to reload your geocaches, you better think twice about using this feature.

The file will still be on your device, but is corrupted because of the crash, and can't be loaded anymore.

It has happened to me once, fortunately with the last cache of the last day on a geocaching holiday, where I had no chance of loading the caches again. I reported it to Garmin, but it hasn't been fixed.

I just sent 2 waypoints and then 5 geocashes from an Oregon 450 to a Montana 650t and it worked flawlessly. Generally just use the Ant+ for sensors so thanks for reminding me of this feature, I'll be using it a lot I would think.

I also checked this in the other direction sending from the Montana to the Oregon and it worked flawlessly, Waypoinrs, tracks, etc.

Well interestingly (or perhaps not) I can now do the wireless transfer without error. On 4.40 I reset all data, (in the setup menu) as well as did a reset during boot up, then I updated to 4.50 and it works both directions for me every time now.

Odd thing about the reset, neither locations seemed to reset anything, all my settings and waypoints, selected maps, drawer icons, power button shortcuts are exactly as I had them before, It only asked me to choose language again...

Sounds promising! I will test 4.50 and report back!

And.......... I was only able to send three waypoints from my Montana, and with difficulty for the second two, before wireless failed completely. Unable to receive any wireless transmission from multiple Garmin GPSr units. Always ends with "Connection Lost..."

Edited by Atlas Cached

The internal GPX registry is what gets corrupted. [.. procedure ..]

Thank you for the explanation Cacheoholic. So in that case I better start moving all my GPX-files to the external memory. I'll see if I can "hack" the helpfiles to add this info, so I can recall it in the field.