imputing co-ordinates into your GPS

goldwing.88

Can some GPS "wizard" please advise as to how I can enter GeoCache co-ord's into my GPS map 62s machine.

I'm thinking that it's done through Waypoint manager...but I can't find where it tells the user how to in the manual.

There are some times when it's handy to enter co-ord's when you're in the field...away from a computer.

Thanks, it would be nice to have clear, concise easy to follow instructions.

Goldwing

Can some GPS "wizard" please advise as to how I can enter GeoCache co-ord's into my GPS map 62s machine.

I'm thinking that it's done through Waypoint manager...but I can't find where it tells the user how to in the manual.

There are some times when it's handy to enter co-ord's when you're in the field...away from a computer.

Thanks, it would be nice to have clear, concise easy to follow instructions.

Goldwing

To enter coords., simply create a waypoint. Easiest method is to:

"Mark" your current location>

Edit that waypoint ("Mark") coordinates to reflect the coordinates you wish to go to>

Name that waypoint you just created with whatever you want -- if a cache proper, use the GC# or name; if a Multi-stage -- use the same name with -1 or whatever you want>

[save]

To do another, immediately edit those waypoint coords, etc., etc. etc. The key is the name that you [save] it to, it must be different than the previous. There is no need to start again from "Mark", as long as you have named and saved the previous.

Now, I am unsure about Garmins (we don't use one), but you may be able to save it as a "geocache" instead of a waypoint. They are the same thing, but geocaching generally uses a different file than waypoints.

I really dunno about a Garmin.... our Delorme asks if we want it into the geocache file if we assign a geocache icon to it. Your Garmin should also have a "potful" of icon/symbols to choose from. Perhaps if you assign one......

Nope, you can't do that on the Garmins. You can create waypoints on a Garmin GPS, but you can't create geocaches.

I really dunno about a Garmin.... our Delorme asks if we want it into the geocache file if we assign a geocache icon to it. Your Garmin should also have a "potful" of icon/symbols to choose from. Perhaps if you assign one......

Nope, you can't do that on the Garmins. You can create waypoints on a Garmin GPS, but you can't create geocaches.

As a blanket statement, that really isn't true. On the older Garmins, prior to the paperless units, such as the popular Map60 Series, the only thing that makes a waypoint a Geocache is the symbol that you assign to it. If I am creating a waypoint in the field and I change the symbol to the closed treasure box, it is a Geocache and shows up in my Find/Geocaches list.