Beware - automatic PM renewal

BullRit

PM members may want to check your renewal status.

Apparently last year, without my realizing, my account got put on recurring renewals when I renewed my PM membership. I say "without my realizing" because I do not have ANY auto payments come out ANY of my accounts and definitely not on an account I have been considering closing for over a year now that it wasn't in existence two years ago. I even called the bank thinking someone had accessed my account!

Renewing my PM membership is not the issue but I don't like surprises when it comes to my money. For those of you like me, cancelling the "recurring renewal" is just a click on one button under account details in "your profile".

Yes, you do have to click on the button for it to be an auto renewal.

I've never clicked on that button, because at the beginning I didn't know if I'd get into the game or not. :laughing:

Almost 2000 caches later, and 3.5 years into the game, I do seem to have taken to it. :)

I still don't have it on auto renewal though, because as you, I like to be aware of what is happening with my money when.

Next year I'm likely to hit the button though.

PM members may want to check your renewal status.

Apparently last year, without my realizing, my account got put on recurring renewals when I renewed my PM membership. I say "without my realizing" because I do not have ANY auto payments come out ANY of my accounts and definitely not on an account I have been considering closing for over a year now that it wasn't in existence two years ago. I even called the bank thinking someone had accessed my account!

Renewing my PM membership is not the issue but I don't like surprises when it comes to my money. For those of you like me, cancelling the "recurring renewal" is just a click on one button under account details in "your profile".

I seriously doubt Groundspeak put you on auto-renewal without contacting you. Most likely you clicked the button yourself and forgot about it. My account is not on auto-renewal and I was not put into auto-renewal mode. Did you pay by PayPal? Perhaps you set up auto-renewing with PayPal.

PayPal has nothing to do with this payment. It was a payroll debit card that has fees if not used the way the company wants you to use it so I rarely use it and just pull the cash which is free..if you go to the right bank.

I probably did click on the box thinking I was saying the payment was for renewal it seems I wasn't the only one according to another post.

Unless something with Paypal has changed, auto-renewal is their default. That certainly used to be true, not sure if it still is. But your issue is probably with them, not with Groundspeak.

I've seen a lot of subscription based websites with an auto renew option. And yes paypal may have everything to do with it. Paypal will accept credit and some debit cards for online payment. Much easier and cheaper than a business rynning everything manually through an actual POS terminal. especially for people like Groundspeak who have most of the purchases not made in person.

It was a payroll debit card that has fees if not used the way the company wants you to use it so I rarely use it and just pull the cash which is free..if you go to the right bank.

Get a real bank (or credit union) account and get your paycheck direct deposited. Don't let your employer dictate how your paycheck is used. The practice is despicable on the part of the company, but you're letting them do it.

Every 3 months on the 3rd.... like clock work. Plus the e-mails that are sent, I know the $ is leaving my account.

Do you plan on caching for the next year? If so, you should get a year's membership and save $10.

Speaking as someone who did the $3 per month subscription, and overpaid $6 a year for 8 years, some of us like that convenience of a smaller amount being taken out, and getting that email saying it was, for the ol' fashioned Checkbook register, which I still use. :blink: Wow, I didn't realize that, it's a 3 month membership, not a 4 month membership, and you're giving the Frog a whole extra 10 bucks that way. Oh, and the $3 per month subscription I referred to no longer exists, you can't do it anymore.