Geomate Loader Error!

vogelly

Hello, I was so excited to hear that the Geomate was back. However, I am having problems loading regional files. A few months ago when the fate of the Geomate was in la-la land, I started using it for custom cache files (*.GPX). Now, when trying to load CRY files with the Geomate Loader I receive a “Flash programming failed…Cannot open port” message. Can someone help me find a fix for this? I asked Rich of Brand44 but he replied that he hasn’t heard of that problem and suggested I ask y‘all……………….mike

Hello, I was so excited to hear that the Geomate was back. However, I am having problems loading regional files. A few months ago when the fate of the Geomate was in la-la land, I started using it for custom cache files (*.GPX). Now, when trying to load CRY files with the Geomate Loader I receive a “Flash programming failed…Cannot open port” message. Can someone help me find a fix for this? I asked Rich of Brand44 but he replied that he hasn’t heard of that problem and suggested I ask y‘all……………….mike

I've never seen that error, but do you get that same error when uploading a .gpx file either from the website or from the stand-alone loader? I've not heard of a CRY file...

And if that doesn't work, maybe uploading a standard regions .gpx file via the website could clear things up. Then try re-loading that CRY file. Then again, I've not heard of those files, let alone on a Geomate Jr.

I've never seen that error, but do you get that same error when uploading a .gpx file either from the website or from the stand-alone loader? I've not heard of a CRY file...

And if that doesn't work, maybe uploading a standard regions .gpx file via the website could clear things up. Then try re-loading that CRY file. Then again, I've not heard of those files, let alone on a Geomate Jr.

The only regional files I am aware of are CRY files. Where do I find regional .gpx files?

That's something I don't know about. I do have my sons' Geomate loaded with a single .gpx, though a large one of a couple thousand geocaches (a few Pocket Queries merged into one) of our area. I just download the PQ's I need and merge them with "Watcher" into a single .gpx file and load it onto their Geomate Jr. So they have a GPS with a few thousand locally available geocaches.

If we're going somewhere outside of the areas covered with those PQ's, I just create another PQ for that area, and merge it with my other PQ's and load it to the Geomate Jr. And with these PQ's, geocaches with D/T of 5 are now possible, as well as multi's, puzzle, virtual, earth, and any other types are now available on the Geomate Jr. The Geomate Jr's website's regional downloads are only caches with a D/T of up to 4 and only traditional type caches....pretty limiting if you're an active geocacher :D

The only regional files I am aware of are CRY files. Where do I find regional .gpx files?

That's something I don't know about. I do have my sons' Geomate loaded with a single .gpx, though a large one of a couple thousand geocaches (a few Pocket Queries merged into one) of our area. I just download the PQ's I need and merge them with "Watcher" into a single .gpx file and load it onto their Geomate Jr. So they have a GPS with a few thousand locally available geocaches.

If we're going somewhere outside of the areas covered with those PQ's, I just create another PQ for that area, and merge it with my other PQ's and load it to the Geomate Jr. And with these PQ's, geocaches with D/T of 5 are now possible, as well as multi's, puzzle, virtual, earth, and any other types are now available on the Geomate Jr. The Geomate Jr's website's regional downloads are only caches with a D/T of up to 4 and only traditional type caches....pretty limiting if you're an active geocacher :D

Thanks for the info Fryguy1111, I googled “how to merge gpx files” and found a number of programs available. I will further check them out when I have a better internet connection. Thanks again for your assistance……mike

Thanks for the info Fryguy1111, I googled “how to merge gpx files” and found a number of programs available. I will further check them out when I have a better internet connection. Thanks again for your assistance……mike

The simplest program I found is called Watcher, a GPX utility. Just download that app from the line abovel. Then download your PQ to your PC. Then start Watcher. Browse to your first .gpx file and open/load it. Then click on File, then Merge. Browse to your 2nd .gpx file and open/load it (repeat as much as necessar). Once that's done, I think you can do a Save As and rename that newly merged .gpx file.

My geomates are currently updating as I write this. After seeing the same error and not finding a fix on the web anywhere, I thought I'd followup with my solution to fix the problem. Symptoms were the same as above, Flash error, cannont open port... the geomate loader program did not recognize the geomate unit either. Long story, but it worked on another laptop which led me to a fix on my orginal laptop. The Geomate cable shows up as a com port, on my do everything laptop it was Com 11. Seems like many programs don't like com ports that are too high, so I changed it down to port 7

(XP- Device Manager, ports, silicon labs cp210x(this is the geomate update cable),properties, port settings,advanced, port 7 (lowest not in use)) and viola, all works as it should. I may have unplugged the USB update cable and plugged it back in again.

Glad the geomate update is still available for roadtrips. What other unit can store 250,000 geocaches without being connected?! Hope this helps someone else looking for a solution to the above.

What other unit can store 250,000 geocaches without being connected?!

Since your asking.....

This One :)

No, not really...

Actually, yes... really.

16x over, really.

Really.

You're telling someone there is, when the truth is, it's not even out yet.

Does it have to be out for my statement to be true?

Actually, unless you work for Garmin (doubtful), few really know if the number you suggest is true or not.

Your "16x over" is based on a claim that Garmin can load that amount on their site, using their format (GGZ).

There aren't four million caches in the World.

For most people,"they say so" usually isn't good enough to say it's true...

Actually, unless you work for Garmin (doubtful), few really know if the number you suggest is true or not.

Your "16x over" is based on a claim that Garmin can load that amount on their site, using their format (GGZ).

There aren't four million caches in the World.

For most people,"they say so" usually isn't good enough to say it's true...

I have an Oregon 650 in my possession with more than 30,000 GPX caches loaded, and have no reason to doubt that it will index the number Garmin suggests.

Edited by BMW JEDI