Help me pick a new GPS

Aurock

I'm considering buying a new GPS to replace my Etrex Venture HC. I currently use the etrex and my iphone 4s to geocache, but I think it would be nice to have a gps that can hold the full data about a cache instead of just a few characters. I've looked at the new etrex 20 / 30 models, as well as the Oregon and gpsmap 62.

Comparing all of the various models, it's hard to see what the real differences are between them. Here are a few things that jumped out at me. What am I missing?

•  
  • etrex 20 - $169

2. Glonass support - I've read mixed reports about whether this would improve accuracy or reception in most cases for US users, but it sounds like there is probably some benefit.
    3. Full details of caches stored in the gps

[*]etrex 30 - $244

1. Glonass
    2. Full details of caches
    3. digital compass - This seems like it would be very handy

[*]Oregon 450 - $282

1. Touchscreen - Is this really useful, or just a gimmick?
    2. Full cache details
    3. digital compass

[*] 62s - $374

1. Full cache details
    2. Digital Compass
    3. Better Antenna/reception? - I see marketing speak about holding a fix under tree cover. Is there really a difference in reception?

I believe all of the above have wireless communication available with other GPS units, for sending/receiving caches. That seems like it would be very useful, if the other gps happens to be a garmin. Is this how they program caches into GPS units at events? Do they typically only support one MFG, or is there some way to communicate between different brands?

I've also looked briefly at units from magellan and delorme, but since I have a garmin now, I'm not sure how those brands compare. I don't see any compelling features those have that the garmins don't, but am I overlooking anything?

Actually, I take that back, the explorist GC looks interesting. It seems to hold far more geocaches than any of the others, and is cheaper than all the rest. What's the downside to that one?

Thanks!

Edited by Aurock

I have an Oregon 550 and I love it. The touch screen is more than a gimmick, it makes it very easy to operate (especially for a dedicated iPhone user)....takes a little more of a positive press than the iPhone, but that can be a good thing so you're not always accidentally bumping the screen. Plus since the face is all screen you get a much larger display in a smaller package than some of the others.

One suggestion if you go with the Oregon is get a screen protector immediately because with gritty, dirty fingers (like you'll have from rooting around for caches) the screen will scratch.

The various profiles are highly customizable so you can set up the unit in a variety of ways....set up one profile for Geocaching, one for hiking, one for driving etc.

I also upgraded from a Garmin Legend HCX (similar to your HC) and I'm pleased with my choice.

The electronic compass I thought would be a great thing, but I ended up turning it off most of the time....it needs to be calibrated every time you change the batteries and seems to be more of a hindrance than a help. Maybe I'm not using it right but I find it works better with it turned off.

Edited by Chief301

The level of support, both from the manufacturer and especially from the GPS community at large, is many magnitudes greater for Garmin products than any other GPSr.

While I am certain that as they are, other brands will work, but you will always be able to do much, much more with a Garmin than any other brand.

Having said that, I have a Garmin Colorado 400t, Dakota 20, Oregon 300,400t,450,550t, and a Montana 650. I use the Montana every day, while the others serve as back-up/loaner/dust collection devices.

Of the models you listed, the Oregon has the largest and highest resolution screen, and GPS reception is as good as any of the others. The Oregon will operate with 7ft accuracy regularly. The others will do no better. I choose the Montana for it's much nicer screen and advanced UI options.

The eTrex series does have GLONASS, but this will not result in any better accuracy, but rather simply affords you a slightly faster initial boot time in determining your present location due to having twice as many satellite signals to work with, but after that, accuracy will remain the same, while battery power is consumed faster as you are running two radios instead of one.

The tiny screens on the eTrex and 62 series, to me, are like trying to read a paper map on the opposite side of a door, through the key hole.

FWIW, Delorme gives you the opportunity to delete caches from the unit individually, by category or in bulk. We do find it far more convenient rather than hooking to the computer and having to delete the entire GPX file as the current crop of Garmin's do.

Went from GPS12 (ancient) to Venture HC to Delorme PN-40....... never looked back.

On my Venture HC, I can delete caches individually or in bulk. Is that a feature that was removed in newer models?

The level of support, both from the manufacturer and especially from the GPS community at large, is many magnitudes greater for Garmin products than any other GPSr.

While I am certain that as they are, other brands will work, but you will always be able to do much, much more with a Garmin than any other brand.

Can you offer any examples? Not that I don't believe you, I just don't know what sort of things might be possible with one and not the other.

Having said that, I have a Garmin Colorado 400t, Dakota 20, Oregon 300,400t,450,550t, and a Montana 650. I use the Montana every day, while the others serve as back-up/loaner/dust collection devices.

Montana is definitely out, just based on price. It's already a splurge just to look at buying a GPS, especially when I have a working gpsr and iphone. No way the wife would let me spend more than our house payment on a new gps. :) I've read that the 't' models aren't worth the money, as better topo maps are available for free. Since you have a few, would you agree with that assessment?

Of the models you listed, the Oregon has the largest and highest resolution screen, and GPS reception is as good as any of the others. The Oregon will operate with 7ft accuracy regularly. The others will do no better. I choose the Montana for it's much nicer screen and advanced UI options.

The eTrex series does have GLONASS, but this will not result in any better accuracy, but rather simply affords you a slightly faster initial boot time in determining your present location due to having twice as many satellite signals to work with, but after that, accuracy will remain the same, while battery power is consumed faster as you are running two radios instead of one.

As I said, I'd read mixed reports. I ended up with the impression that it would likely be more accurate, especially in any marginal areas, due to locking onto more satellites at once and potentially having more sats available to lock on to when under tree cover or otherwise getting poor signal. I think it was anecdotal reports from users of the devices that left me thinking it helped. Is there anything definitive one way or the other from an "official" source on the matter?

Again, not trying to argue, I don't know that you're right or wrong, I just haven't seen anything but user opinions/anecdotal evidence, and garmin's marketing-speak on the subject:

With added HotFix and GLONASS support, you can count on faster positioning and a more reliable signal--whether you're in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on eTrex 30 to help you find your way when you need it the most.

The tiny screens on the eTrex and 62 series, to me, are like trying to read a paper map on the opposite side of a door, through the key hole.

I think this is one of those that as long as I'm used to the etrex, I won't miss the bigger screen, but if I had a bigger screen I'd hate to give it up.

Thanks for the input!

[*]Oregon 450 - $282

1. Touchscreen - Is this really useful, or just a gimmick?
  2. Full cache details
  3. digital compass

[*] 62s - $374

1. Full cache details
  2. Digital Compass
  3. Better Antenna/reception? - I see marketing speak about holding a fix under tree cover. Is there really a difference in reception?

Thanks!

Since you are used to using the iphone with a 3axis compass.... then, get a GPS with a 3axis compass.

The 450 & 62s both have it. The Megellan Explorist does not have a 3 axis compass.

My husband and I use both a 450 and a 62s.

The touchscreen allows the 450 to have a larger screen than the 62s. There are no 'buttons' to tend with since you navigate thru the firmware/GPS with the touchscreen. The touchscreen tends to be 'faster' when navigating thru the firmware. We've owned our 450 for about 1.5 years. The touchscreen IS NOT like the touch screen on the iphone (just as a comparison). You have to touch and 'press' the screen to get it to work. The touch screen can be frustrating when you get 'accidental' touches which switches screens, and sometimes it takes longer to get you back to the screen you were on. That is the main reason why we bought the 62s was for me....I have the unit hanging around my neck and things would 'touch' the screen (frustrates the husband) LOL

The 62s does not have a touchscreen. You have to navigate using buttons and arrows through the firmware. This takes a bit longer - but its not bad and isn't annoying. So, the screen size is a bit smaller than the 450 - however - The screen on the 62s is MUCH MUCH better than the 450. It's much crisper, clearer, and easier to look at.

In terms of accuracy & the external antennae - We really haven't noticed any difference between the two units. If you set them side by side...they'll read the exact numbers (distance to a cache). Other times while roaming GZ.... we'll both be about 20 feet away and in different locations. It's weird.....They both settle out nicely to be in the same locations and you have to use your Geosenses after that.

Overall, I think we like the 62s better and I'm not even sure why.....maybe its the 'crisp' screen? Feels better in your hands? ????

You'll be happy with either....

If you want pictures of the screen side-by-side, let me know.

Edited by Lieblweb

The touchscreen allows the 450 to have a larger screen than the 62s. There are no 'buttons' to tend with since you navigate thru the firmware/GPS with the touchscreen. The touchscreen tends to be 'faster' when navigating thru the firmware.

Faster, as in fewer steps to get to what you want, or as in more responsive when you select something? Do the screens load faster, or is it just fewer 'clicks'?

Faster, as in fewer steps to get to what you want, or as in more responsive when you select something? Do the screens load faster, or is it just fewer 'clicks'?

Fewer clicks.... especially when using numbers/letters.

With the 450, you click on '6' on the screen.

With the 62s, you have to use the arrow keys to navigate to '6' and press 'enter'

My husband and I use both a 450 and a 62s.

The touchscreen allows the 450 to have a larger screen than the 62s. There are no 'buttons' to tend with since you navigate thru the firmware/GPS with the touchscreen. The touchscreen tends to be 'faster' when navigating thru the firmware. We've owned our 450 for about 1.5 years. The touchscreen IS NOT like the touch screen on the iphone (just as a comparison). You have to touch and 'press' the screen to get it to work. The touch screen can be frustrating when you get 'accidental' touches which switches screens, and sometimes it takes longer to get you back to the screen you were on. That is the main reason why we bought the 62s was for me....I have the unit hanging around my neck and things would 'touch' the screen (frustrates the husband) LOL

Simply cycling the power button will bring up a brightness adjustment screen. At the lower left of that screen there is a Lock Icon. Click it, and the Oregon returns to the screen you were on before bringing up the menu, and the touchscreen is now 'locked' - Repeat the process to unlock the screen. :)

Edited by Atlas Cached

Simply cycling the power button will bring up a brightness adjustment screen. At the lower left of that screen there is a Lock Icon. Click it, and the Oregon returns to the screen you were on before bringing up the menu, and the touchscreen is now 'locked' - Repeat the process to unlock the screen. :)

We know about the lock screen....and we tried using it. But ...to be honest, It's not any different having to UNLOCK and LOCK the screen every time .... as it is to get the screen back to where you needed it to be in the first place.

Its just easier to leave it unlocked - because sometimes, you don't have those 'accidental touches'

(did that make any sense?)

Edited by Lieblweb

Can you offer any examples? Not that I don't believe you, I just don't know what sort of things might be possible with one and not the other.

More great free maps than any other brand at GPSFileDepot

Create FREE routable CityNav style maps from OpenStreet

Make your own Custom Maps from any existing paper or digital map

Many advanced geocaching features not offered by any other brand. (Geocaching with photos, Painless Paperless Opencaching, etc.)

Just introduced Garmin Adventures.

Multiple External wireless data Sensors available for Hiking, Biking, Running and Temperature...

Many more features discussed here.

Montana is definitely out, just based on price. It's already a splurge just to look at buying a GPS, especially when I have a working gpsr and iphone. No way the wife would let me spend more than our house payment on a new gps. :) I've read that the 't' models aren't worth the money, as better topo maps are available for free. Since you have a few, would you agree with that assessment?

I agree. Much better maps available for free at the GPSFileDepot link above.

As I said, I'd read mixed reports. I ended up with the impression that it would likely be more accurate, especially in any marginal areas, due to locking onto more satellites at once and potentially having more sats available to lock on to when under tree cover or otherwise getting poor signal. I think it was anecdotal reports from users of the devices that left me thinking it helped. Is there anything definitive one way or the other from an "official" source on the matter?

Again, not trying to argue, I don't know that you're right or wrong, I just haven't seen anything but user opinions/anecdotal evidence, and garmin's marketing-speak on the subject:

With added HotFix and GLONASS support, you can count on faster positioning and a more reliable signal--whether you're in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on eTrex 30 to help you find your way when you need it the most.

I have nothing set in stone, just an opinion based on my experience.

I think this is one of those that as long as I'm used to the etrex, I won't miss the bigger screen, but if I had a bigger screen I'd hate to give it up.

Thanks for the input!

My pleasure.

Once you have the larger screen, you will never want to go backward, and may even wonder why you were punishing yourself with the tiny screen all that time before....

Good Luck!

We know about the lock screen....and we tried using it. But ...to be honest, It's not any different having to UNLOCK and LOCK the screen every time .... as it is to get the screen back to where you needed it to be in the first place.

Its just easier to leave it unlocked - because sometimes, you don't have those 'accidental touches'

(did that make any sense?)

That's all good and well until that 'accidental' series of screen touches brings up a setup menu and changes something important, without you knowing it, until way too late, and the data you were collecting is now garbage.

YMMV :)

[*]etrex 30 - $244

[*]digital compass - This seems like it would be very handy

Problem is that it just doesn't work very well, requiring frequent recalibrations to work at all, not just at changing the batteries. You are really better off picking out a bearing with an ordinary magnetic compass. If you get it over the 20, do so because of the radio sensor capabilities and the barometer.

That's all good and well until that 'accidental' series of screen touches brings up a setup menu and changes something important, without you knowing it, until way too late, and the data you were collecting is now garbage.

YMMV :)

Haven't had any problems with it changing setups (during accidental touches). And we're very anal about recording information on our phones as a backup - so loosing certain information isn't all that critical.

But then again...another reason we have the 62s....we're covered no matter what happens.

I have a 450 and 62S......I recommend the 62S ( I really don't care for the multiple touch / poke screen )

The electronic " pointer " works great and using Eneloop batteries seldom needs calibrating even with a battery change.

IMO the 62 button arrangement ( same as the 60 ) is much better than the joystick-button arrangement of the Etrex line.

As in most things, you usually get what you pay for.

[*]etrex 30 - $244

[*]digital compass - This seems like it would be very handy

Problem is that it just doesn't work very well, requiring frequent recalibrations to work at all, not just at changing the batteries. You are really better off picking out a bearing with an ordinary magnetic compass. If you get it over the 20, do so because of the radio sensor capabilities and the barometer.

Okay, you've got me. How would the barometer be useful in geocaching?

And I didn't realize the 20 didn't have the wireless transfer feature, thanks for pointing that out. It sounds like a feature that would be very useful, but I suppose in practice it might be fairly limited. Either big events or the occasional caching day with friends who have a similar model, would be about the only time to use it.

For the record, I do not have issues with the compass on any of my Garmins. And a traditional compass is just as susceptible to the same interference as the GPSr is.

The GPSr can be re-calibrated. The traditional compass works without batteries. On longer hikes, you should have a good paper map and a real compass anyway :)

Edited by Atlas Cached

When I bought my O550 in January it came with a slick 110/220 charger (with various plugs) and 2 decent AA NiMH batteries. These items are not bundled with the O450 so the deal is even better! I have loaded up a 4gb micro sd with about 10 maps and geotagged pictures of restaurants we hope to visit Budapest and Prague next month.

BTW, I am very pleased with the O550 running v5.50.

BTW again, very informative posting about maps by Atlas_Cached - thnx.

Be sure and get and install a screen protector!!!

Edited by phlatlander