How do I become a publisher?

highwayrunners

Well, you know, there is this other website that allows you to help review any cache submitted, anywhere in the world. :huh:

Your avatar automatically gets you rejected as a reviewer.

And you don't sign up to be one. You have to earn it.

The story of the avatar image

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050410/news_1n10signs.html

Interesting. Very interesting. File this under "ya' learn something new every day". :)

I see a lot of stuff about reviewers are only those who have found a lot of caches, held a lot of events, and so on..blah blah blah yet the reviewer in our area has been a member since 2006 and only shows 81 caches found (66 of which are events and 8 are CITO), 19 trackables logged, and only owns 1 cache.

SO tell me how this grants someone an invitation to be a reviewer?

There has to be some other criteria for becoming a reviewer other than having extensively performed as a Geocacher.

Being a reviewer is something that we have thought about because it sounds interesting but upon seeing the requirements listed here in this thread verses the reviewer mentioned, something does not add up.

Reviewers do cache.... they usually do so under a separate account.

Does that add up a little better? :)

It is funny sometimes, to hear about events where one cacher is "badmouthing" their reviewer, w/o a clue the person they are speaking to IS their reviewer!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

It is funny sometimes, to hear about events where one cacher is "badmouthing" their reviewer, w/o a clue the person they are speaking to IS their reviewer!

Yes, that does happen occasionally. Forums, Facebook, local events... and when they're trying to guess who the new reviewer is... :laughing:

Then when the reviewer finally comes out of the closet it's.... oops... :o

Yes, that does happen occasionally. Forums, Facebook, local events... and when they're trying to guess who the new reviewer is... :laughing:

Then when the reviewer finally comes out of the closet it's.... oops... :o

It's a matter of "Doing it by the numbers"....

1) Open mouth....

2) Insert foot....

3) Twist!

Reviewers do cache.... they usually do so under a separate account.

Does that add up a little better? :)

*SNIP*

Almost had that happen to me. Met some cachers at work and he told me his caching name and when we were talking I ALMOST started complaining that it was taking unusually long for a cache to be reviewed(or something similar I can't remember) but had to go back to work. Then I found out from another cacher that the cachers I met where the reviewers. Good thing I didn't say anything.

Yep, it does add up a little better :)

I apologize if I sounded like I was badmouthing a reviewer, that really was not the intention at all.

After reading several other threads about reviewers and publisher and then reading all the different criteria being mentioned above and seeing the small amount of this particular reviewer it had us wondering. We did not really think about him working 2 accounts but it makes sense. The reviewer we have here obviously knows his stuff, in fact he has pointed out certain things several times about some cache choices we had made prior to us becoming Premium members that we never even thought of. We see this reviewer's name on a lot of published caches so it seems to be a whole job in itself, especially when it comes to making sure if meets the guidelines. Keeping up with it must be a bear. This is part of why it appeals to us.

We met some cachers in Christmas while eating at the BBQ cache last week, that would not have been you was it Gitchee? I do not remember what he said his caching name was but he was from Christmas.

Edited by PsjKids

Longevity certainly seems to help. Here in Florida, all of the Reviewers have been caching since before 2005.

Please see the Page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books entitled Becoming a Volunteer Cache Reviewer.

"If you feel you are currently qualified to serve in this role, please contact Groundspeak and describe your qualifications."

Is my memory faulty or is that a change? I seem to recall the Guidelines in the past essentially said "don't call us, we'll call you".

Edited by Joshism

We saw that as well which is part of why we were looking around the forums before posting. We have since spoken to some other cachers and now have a better idea of how a Reviewer is chosen and it makes more then enough sense to us now. We didn't realize the complex process that goes along with choosing a reviewer and after hearing some of what we heard we understand that it is often the cream of the crop that are chosen for such a position and that those positions are very few for the whole state. We got some Geolearning done today as well as a handful of Geocaches.

Once again, we are so sorry if we came off sounding like we were badmouthing anyone because that was not the purpose of the post and when we meet B & J in person we will apologize once again. None of us can remember if they were any of the other cachers we met at the SCGA's 5th Annual Geo-versary Event held over here on Merritt Island back in June.

Edited by PsjKids

Is my memory faulty or is that a change? I seem to recall the Guidelines in the past essentially said "don't call us, we'll call you".

Yeah, you're absolutely right, but I can't find a copy of the previous wording for comparison. It definitely said you would be invited before, but it doesn't say that now. Maybe they're having a hard time finding reviewers?

Yeah, you're absolutely right, but I can't find a copy of the previous wording for comparison. It definitely said you would be invited before, but it doesn't say that now. Maybe they're having a hard time finding reviewers?

You would think that in this economy and the high pay and perks that the reviewers get they would not have any trouble. :rolleyes: