How cruel am I?

Rick Bross

Tomorrow I plan to set my newest cache up for review.

It will be 15-20ft up in a tree in my front yard, which gives it a little challenge.

Here's the funny thing, until the FTF logs it, there will be no literal words in the description that says, "BRING A LADDER". The only thing mentioned is that there will be a LARGE cache prize for the FTF.

Now, there there. I am nice enough to include "Requires Tree Climbing" attribute, and a short blurb that says "May need equipment to retrieve". But for those eager beavers who race to find it, they will have to go back to get a ladder, missing their chance.

NOTE: The cache name will be something to the effect of "Here Kitty, Kitty."

Mwahaha. Is this too wrong?

until the FTF logs it, there will be no literal words in the description that says, "BRING A LADDER". The only thing mentioned is that there will be a LARGE cache prize for the FTF.

Some cachers can shimmy up a tree without a ladder. Not me, but some cachers. Others might have a ladder just in case.

If the Terrain rating is suitable (if it's up a tree and probably needs a ladder, it's a higher Terrain than most), it's fine. And most cachers may be craftier than you think. All of my caches are the kind I'd never find, and they were all found immediately. None required a ladder, though. :anicute:

until the FTF logs it, there will be no literal words in the description that says, "BRING A LADDER". The only thing mentioned is that there will be a LARGE cache prize for the FTF.

Some cachers can shimmy up a tree without a ladder. Not me, but some cachers. Others might have a ladder just in case.

If the Terrain rating is suitable (if it's up a tree and probably needs a ladder, it's a higher Terrain than most), it's fine. And most cachers may be craftier than you think. All of my caches are the kind I'd never find, and they were all found immediately. None required a ladder, though. :anicute:

LOL.. I found two caches and one DNF that require a ladder this past monday. Blame that DNF to the power company for messing up the tree and leave the mess there. :blink: Of all those three caches, they were rated correctly and not all said on the cache page that you need a ladder. Just some serious thinking and I guess it right. But yea...the FTF hogs might be in a huge rush and dont think. :unsure:

Nothing wrong with that.... I've climbed several trees without a ladder to get a cache.

There's one cache here locally - that you need to complete a separate fizzy chart, and it requires you to climb a tree - cache is 45' up and it requires climbing gear!!

I soooooooo want to get this and trying to research HOW without needed to buy gear and take lessons....

there will be a LARGE cache prize for the FTF.

I hope you don't like your plants, landscaping, sprinkler system, etc.

Many years ago a guy in North Texas hid a 50 dollar bill in a micro in the woods of a local park and posted that the money was in the cache..... The place looked like it was hit by a tornado or a bomb.

I'd reconsider posting that.

Place a waver at the base of the tree that needs to be signed to free yourself of liability. hahaha

I learned from a lawyer to never sign my real name to those waivers.

I usually sign as Mickey Mouse or some other fictional character. Mike Riddick is also a favorite. Most places don't check. It's a formality.

Got hit by back splatter at an indoor range. When I reported this, they defensively stated that I signed the waiver.

I told them I was just reporting it so they knew to clean their bullet traps before someone got hurt. I was even bleeding a little.

I pointed to my range ID and said I'll give you $100 if can find a waiver with my name on it. They were not amused when they checked my file an saw a cartoon mouse name. I signed the next waiver Mike Riddick (ummm not my name) and it's still on file. They just glanced at the m and r. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans
I usually sign as Mickey Mouse

I signed as “Donald Duck” once. My brother and I were at Disneyland. He bought a book there, and decided to get it signed by all the characters in the book -- the costumed characters roaming the park, for his toddler son. We never saw Donald Duck, so I signed that name in the book. My brother was insistent: “You can't sign that, it's forgery!” I'm also pretty sure the kid detected the fraud immediately. The moral of this story is, don't sign “Donald Duck”, unless that's the costume you are wearing. The End.

Edited by kunarion

I usually sign as Mickey Mouse or some other fictional character. Mike Riddick is also a favorite. Most places don't check. It's a formality.

Got hit by back splatter at an indoor range. When I reported this, they defensively stated that I signed the waiver.

I told them I was just reporting it so they knew to clean their bullet traps before someone got hurt. I was even bleeding a little.

I pointed to my range ID and said I'll give you $100 if can find a waiver with my name on it. They were not amused when they checked my file an saw a cartoon mouse name. I signed the next waiver Mike Riddick (ummm not my name) and it's still on file. They just glanced at the m and r. :laughing:

Your "lawyer" told you wrong information:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2864/does-it-matter-if-you-sign-a-contract-with-a-name-thats-not-your-own

Here's the funny thing, until the FTF logs it, there will be no literal words in the description that says, "BRING A LADDER". The only thing mentioned is that there will be a LARGE cache prize for the FTF.

I hope you won't mind when I back my SUV over your lawn, up to the tree, and stand on the roof to reach the cache. I promise not to spin the tires too much when leaving :bad:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2864/does-it-matter-if-you-sign-a-contract-with-a-name-thats-not-your-own

Dangit! I've been signing "Snoogans Geocacher" on all that carp...now you tell me.

So Teinowitz's having signed the contract with whatever name he signed and manifested consent to its terms (by participating in the race) would probably be sufficient to bind him to the waiver

That doesn't sound like a firm answer to me.

I appreciate your enthusiasm since tree climbing caches are a favorite of mine. However, i don't think i'd ever consider hiding one in my yard. I know i would never sue if i fell out of a tree on someone's property but there are others out there that would head straight to a lawyer if something went wrong. Also, and i'm not positive about this, i have a feeling that my insurance would hesitate to pay if they found that i intentionally invited people to climb up a tree in my yard.

So Teinowitz's having signed the contract with whatever name he signed and manifested consent to its terms (by participating in the race) would probably be sufficient to bind him to the waiver
In the context of the rest of the article, it sounded pretty definitive to me. Reading the first paragraph, which is where I learned in grade school to put the main idea of my essay, one finds:
This one is easy. No. From the earliest of times courts have held that names don't matter. As a general rule you can agree to the terms of a contract using any character, symbol, figure, or other designation you adopt as a signature and be bound. You may also use a fictitious name, a firm name, or the name of another.
Also, and i'm not positive about this, i have a feeling that my insurance would hesitate to pay if they found that i intentionally invited people to climb up a tree in my yard.
I'd bet on this piece of legal advice looooong before I'd take sides with Snoogans and the Goat on their cockamamie scheme.
In the context of the rest of the article, it sounded pretty definitive to me. Reading the first paragraph, which is where I learned in grade school to put the main idea of my essay, one finds:
This one is easy. No. From the earliest of times courts have held that names don't matter. As a general rule you can agree to the terms of a contract using any character, symbol, figure, or other designation you adopt as a signature and be bound. You may also use a fictitious name, a firm name, or the name of another.
Also, and i'm not positive about this, i have a feeling that my insurance would hesitate to pay if they found that i intentionally invited people to climb up a tree in my yard.
I'd bet on this piece of legal advice looooong before I'd take sides with Snoogans and the Goat on their cockamamie scheme.

Drat! Foiled again :laughing:

I was just airing my skepticism of the link to one of the oodles and oodles of random "legal expert" sites. It actually makes sense what the article is saying.

I was just airing my skepticism of the link to one of the oodles and oodles of random "legal expert" sites. It actually makes sense what the article is saying.

In my defense, the guy isn't my lawyer. Just a lawyer friend of a friend and it was many years ago. I get the bit about making your mark, but that doesn't stop me from denying I ever signed the waiver. They better video tape it or it's up for dispute. And even then there are tricks that I know from 25 years of corporate security experience that would render a video tape inadmissable.

After all that, in the interest of full disclosure, I might have a geocache hanging in a tree in my back yard...

But to say for sure might spoil the fun. :ph34r:

I would have to disagree with that article, if only for the fact that it states it really doesn't matter what you put on the forms, if YOU put it there it's as good as your name. I can understand a different name, people have nicknames, middle names, even geonames. But it goes so far as to include symbols. I could argue that an X does not represent me, I merely used it to mark the spot I was supposed-but forgot-to sign. Or I could use the words "I do not agree to these terms and conditions" Plus the fact that if you did agree to a waiver it cannot always be held in court.

After all that, in the interest of full disclosure, I might have a geocache hanging in a tree in my back yard...

I might now know exactly where your back yard is, in that case... ;)

Does it got a pool in the backyard so I can fall in? :laughing:

Does it got a pool in the backyard so I can fall in? :laughing:

If you're wanting to fall in on purpose, I'd have to say no...

Hmmmm, a cache in your front yard that solicits donations for your employer <_<

Can you say AGENDA. This never should have been published and should be immediately archived.

GC3W3YQ

As noble as the agenda is, it is still an agenda and not allowed on this site. I wonder if the listing was changed post-publication.

Here's the relevant guideline (Section 4-1):

Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Cache listings perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be an enjoyable, family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda. Cache pages cannot require, and should not strongly encourage, the placement of new caches. This is considered an agenda and the listing will not be publishable.

BTW, "Recommended for tourists" (touristOK-yes.gif)?! I don't know many tourists that will have access to a ladder.

Tomorrow I plan to set my newest cache up for review.

It will be 15-20ft up in a tree in my front yard, which gives it a little challenge.

Now, there there. I am nice enough to include "Requires Tree Climbing" attribute, and a short blurb that says "May need equipment to retrieve". But for those eager beavers who race to find it, they will have to go back to get a ladder, missing their chance.

NOTE: The cache name will be something to the effect of "Here Kitty, Kitty."

Mwahaha. Is this too wrong?

HEY! This one is near my house! My geocaching partner is seven years old, so we won't be trying for your cache (as i am his mother. :) ) But I will enjoy reading the logs! Do you neighbors know about this?