Have you ever found something......

BonesWildRide

This is the first time this has happened to me in about 3 months and I know it must of happened to others here..........

I went out to California this weekend and loaded a few caches and took my Nephew who is 29 and wanted to show him about Geocaching.

SOOOOOO, we went to our first destination and into the 8 ft area and I explained all errors in our signal depending where we are in relationship to the satellites, buildings, mountains and electrical interference and that sometimes it can be off 30 feet and said Let's start looking after I read the description and any hints available. So he went on one side and I went on the other and he called over saying that maybe it's in this object he was pointing to. It was an old plastic newspaper stand not being used anymore. So, I opened the lid and there was a paint can and a wrapped up rag. I grabbed the rag and Smelt this strong smell of marijuana. blink.gifHe looked at me and said is this what you guys find? I was in shock....... of course not and looked around and stuck it back in. Somebody was watching and we walked off. And actually found the cache we were suppose to about 20 feet away. We shook our heads for an hour wondering if we did the right thing even leaving it there. Or calling the police.........Hard to say what was going on but it was more then a little.

I can see things like this happening and it can turn delegate any moment. Like, we didn't know who those two people watching us.

This is something we should all watch for and be aware of. I'd say walk away or call the police to handle it. That's what I should of done. Next time I will. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rat but kids do this sport a** well and if it could happen to me it could to a kid.

Any others this happen to before?

Edited by BonesWildRide

I was looking for a cache in a really bad area (there was much debate about the appropriateness of the hide sandwiched between an abandoned crack house and a strip joint). Anyways, I found a plastic grocery bag stuffed along the guardrail post. At that moment I got an emergency call from my daughter. I only had time to peek inside to see a gun. Brain stopped working and I threw it in the trunk and drove to meet my daughter. After addressing the emergency, I opened the trunk and looked at the gun. It was a really good airsoft replica. Of course I checked the barrel for a log. Not sure how I would have explained that to the cops if it had been real.

Almost forgot this one. It's not our log, but an honest to goodness log from a nearby cache:

"Wow. U sure do see all kinds of stuff while caching. I decided to stop here for this cache after working close by. I climb to the top of hill, only to see down the other side, right in the middle of the grass, two naked adults mounting behind the mound!! Right in the open, broad daylight! So, of course I not so quietly let them know I was there. Found the cache shortly after they left, so maybe that is the key to finding hides? I told the guy to make sure to find the Geocache on his next rendezvous. This gets a favorite point for the great scenery, lol. TFTMemory!"

BTW this is within context.

I was taking my dog for a walk last week in the downtown section of our city and as always, scouting for a new place to hide a cache. We walked under a pedestrian bridge that connects two buildings with H shaped steel beams supporting it. Behind the beams closest to one of the buildings there was a good spot to place a small container or micro so I stepped back there and found someone had already placed a cache.....a homeless cache!

Stuffed in the crevice of one beam there was a bedroll and in the other beam a pair of sneakers, a couple empty coffee cups, napkins, various pamphlets, grocery bags, etc. It was a pretty good spot to setup as the bridge provided cover and it was pretty secluded for being in a busy part of the city. I didn't hang around very long though, I can imagine how upset someone would be if they suspected their things were being messed with.

I was following my GPS through a park in my city that I had never been to. It was much bigger than I had ever thought and was down in a wooded ravine with my three kids. The kids were singing at the top of their lungs enjoying the sense of isolation and the echo. I was closing in on ground zero and started to look around. Hmm...that's funny, that tree almost looks at if it were placed like a table....must be some kids making a fort or something. Wait...that one over there looks like a....campsite.... I looked up to the top of the ravine to see we were surrounded. There were people ducking behind trees and peering out like an old cowboys and Indians movie. We had somehow stumbled into a homeless camp! I began thinking about how isolated we were and how much my gps was worth. I thought about how no one knew exactly where we were since we had parked and hiked in. I turned us around and convinced the kids to give up the search and hike back out. Yikes!! We never went back for the smiley, but I am ok with that one.

We did however get a boxer pup who now accompanys me on my journeys. He goes nuts when I get my gps stuff out. I feel much more secure with the GeoBox with me.

We once found a backpack full of jewelry. another time we found a happy 16th birthday! with car keys and a beeper on it. I don't think they had any clue they placed it for them to find 25 feet from a cache as anyone that could have been un ethical that day could have taken those keys and easily found it in the parking lot.

We were introduced to caching at Straits State Park (St. Ignace, MI). I found a bag tucked into a tree's roots, opened it and found someone's stash - bongs and weed. My son commented that instead of finding a cache, I found a stash - and yes, that was my very first find. lol

It seems we can find just about anything and should be prepared at all times. I feel like I'm not the only one know! LOL

We were introduced to caching at Straits State Park (St. Ignace, MI). I found a bag tucked into a tree's roots, opened it and found someone's stash - bongs and weed. My son commented that instead of finding a cache, I found a stash - and yes, that was my very first find. lol

Not us, but came across this older log on one that we found....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=9073a1a2-d049-4843-8661-e2f6729c00fe

Some friend, he creates a fake name to post his log with and yet posts a photo of his friend showing his face.

That is equivalent of being faster than your friend went a bear is chasing you.

If you look at that picture you'll see that it's a picture of the Police Officer who came to search the area, not one of the cachers.

I found a pile of garbage, along with valuable items mixed into it- a cell phone, books, calculator, ect. It was in a state forest, and had plenty of info on the girl who owned it, so I called the police and said that it was either suspicious, or that she should clean it up. Turns out her angry boyfriend dumped it, and they made them both come out and clean it up.

Three instances come to mind for this thread.

1. We were in the woods about 150' from a suburban shopping center's family style Italian restaurant and stumbled upon a larger than lifesize, or at least larger than my caching partner's size 10.5 shoes chocolate colored love toy. The really odd part, as if finding this in the woods wasn't odd enough was that it had been repaired with duct tape. :blink:

2. Again in the woods behind a restaurant I came across a few boxes of business reports, invoices, etc. and a safe that was open. Called it into the local PD but didn't stick around nor get any follow up info.

3. A few years ago the local FTF hound went through a multicache only to find a bison tube full of prescription meds instead of a log sheet. Seems the CO had pulled the wrong container from his pocket when he put the cache out that morning. :rolleyes:

1. We were in the woods about 150' from a suburban shopping center's family style Italian restaurant and stumbled upon a larger than lifesize, or at least larger than my caching partner's size 10.5 shoes chocolate colored love toy. The really odd part, as if finding this in the woods wasn't odd enough was that it had been repaired with duct tape. :blink:

2. Again in the woods behind a restaurant I came across a few boxes of business reports, invoices, etc. and a safe that was open. Called it into the local PD but didn't stick around nor get any follow up info.

3. A few years ago the local FTF hound went through a multicache only to find a bison tube full of prescription meds instead of a log sheet. Seems the CO had pulled the wrong container from his pocket when he put the cache out that morning. :rolleyes:

So it's true! You really can repair everything with duct tape.

:rolleyes:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=9073a1a2-d049-4843-8661-e2f6729c00fe

Some friend, he creates a fake name to post his log with and yet posts a photo of his friend showing his face.

If you look at that picture you'll see that it's a picture of the Police Officer who came to search the area, not one of the cachers.

OK, I can see the vest now. Bulletproof. Not your average geocacher's gear filled, pocket covered fishing type vest.

So it's true! You really can repair everything with duct tape.

:rolleyes:

Yes, young Padawan. Duct tape is the visible manifestation of The Force. There is a Light Side, there is a Dark Side....and it hold the universe together.

Edited by Clothahump

Anyone else notice that the container looked like one of those cheap gladware plastic containers that won't keep a log book dry for a week?

I suppose that the substance in it gives TFTC new meaning.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I found a bag of women's underthings - all colors and styles - while looking for a cache in Reno.

I found two 18 packs of beer in some rocks where a cache was hidden.

I found a porcelain toilet off a trail (near the street) - it gave me an idea for a cache "Honest Car's Used John Lot", but I never did follow up on that...

On our way to a geocache nearby a children's playground in central Sweden we saw a typical "hide spot" in the middle of the playground. It was not very close to GZ but we checked it out and it was a plastic bag full of white powder. We called the police wich arrived and confirmed that it was cocain.

I don't wanna think about what could have happened if a child had found it before us. :(

I was caching after work in Cortez, CO. It was a cache on the top of a little hill, nice park bench up on it, and an awesome view of Mesa Verde and of the Sleeping Ute Mtn. After searching and determining it was not on the bench, the search came to the rocks. After about the 3rd rock I lifted up there was a little baggy full of a yellow crystal looking substance and a little baggy full of green plant like material. Attached to one was a phone number and a note for X to call to know where to drop off the money. Hmmmm What could this be.......

So a quick photo on the cell phone, txt with a location to the local PD and within 15 minutes a PD and county Sheriff were there. They were super easy to work with. I told them what I was doing and one just happened to be a cacher. They told me they had heard about this being a "drop" spot but couldn't ever catch anyone as there are 4 different trailheads to get to this hill and you can see for 1/4 mile each way.

The conversation they had laughing about the idiot who put his number and the name of the person buying it on the baggy was hilarious!

I found what I thought was a clever geocache container, but turned out to be just a discarded gladwear container full of macaroni sallad. The actual cache turned out to be about 1.5m away.

I found a bag of women's underthings - all colors and styles - while looking for a cache in Reno.

I found two 18 packs of beer in some rocks where a cache was hidden.

I found a porcelain toilet off a trail (near the street) - it gave me an idea for a cache "Honest Car's Used John Lot", but I never did follow up on that...

Is is supposed to be

Honest Auto's Used Johns

I once found an elicit dump. It was full of building materials, old matrices etc. I think I approched GZ from a different direction than the CO intended.

I went looking for a particularly tough to get to cache one day.

It was a hairy hike through the woods on an unmaintained trail. It was slow going, fighting sticker bushes and avoiding nettles all the way. There were a few really steep slides that were tough to get down without flying head first.

Our reward was a beach that no one ever goes to.

We managed to get around a landslide that went into the ocean, with only getting a bit wet, and proceeded to hunt for the cache.

My friend, a new cacher, showed me a plastic milk jug with some writing on it.

"Nah," I said. "No one uses milk jugs for caches." We searched for some time, and I ended up coming back to the jug for lack of finding anything better. I picked it up and read the writing on it. It was something like,

"In memory of Joe Smith. If you find this, smoke one on me, in memory of my brother." In the jug was the biggest joint I'd ever seen, wrapped up in a plastic bag.

Unfortunately, it had been out to sea too long and milk jugs aren't waterproof. It was a stinky mess.

It was nothing more than an interesting piece of beach debris. I left it for the next crazy who attempted that trail. I figured it would give them something to write on their facebook page that day and give them a reward for making it down that trail. A reward as in something unusual and interesting to find. Nothing more.