Android gps software

Got android market or google play I guess it's called these days. I recently got a decent tablet and have been searching and loading apps. There are many GPS apps to do a variety of things.

cgeo & gdak for geocaching

there's a lot of assorted GPS apps there, you'll have to look and maybe Google for "top 10 android GPS apps".

Edited by Styk

One of the best free/paid mapping apps I have found is called Locus. Extremely modular, supports Geocaching, Offline maps, lots different map sources, fast, clean. It is simply amazing! They make a free version and a paid version. Paid version is not very expensive and it worth giving them the support. Just read the reviews. It's a 5 star rated app in the Google Play store. There are so many features to this app it does take some time to learn but is so incredibly handy!

Although the above app is great, there are others and not everyone loves Locus as I do. For regular mapping, Google's map does a pretty good job. It even supports offline maps now too, which is awesome.

As far as an app for Geocaching, the official app kinda stinks. If you don't want to break TOS of Groundspeak, try out Neon-geo, or Cachesense. Personally, I prefer Cachesense out of the two. But my favorite (technically breaks TOS) is c:geo. Extremely feature rich and easy to understand.

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking for something to help manage waypoints (create, save, record, etc.) maybe i just need to take a closer look at google maps, but it seems its not really set up for recording a position as a waypoint, or storing a waypoint enterred as coordinates.

Ah I see. You are correct that Google maps is not very good for that. But Locus still is. I don't think there is any type of GPS related function that Locus cannot do. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking for something to help manage waypoints (create, save, record, etc.) maybe i just need to take a closer look at google maps, but it seems its not really set up for recording a position as a waypoint, or storing a waypoint enterred as coordinates.

So are you talking using the GPS in the Android device to obtain the coordinates or are you talking interfacing with a handheld full featured GPSr?

So are you talking using the GPS in the Android device to obtain the coordinates or are you talking interfacing with a handheld full featured GPSr?

Yes I mean using the GPS in the Android device to obtain coordinates and save as waypoints. I'm currently trying out an app called GPS Essentials. It does what I need it to do for the moment all though I haven't used it heavily.