What's your most expensive cache?

luvvinbird

Thanks to tropical storm Isaac, my recent Caribbean cruise resulted in a major itinerary change and all the caches I had hoped to find were no longer available. Using the ship's very slow (and expensive) internet service, I was able to download a few caches located in the new ports of call. After doing a tour of Cozumel (one of the new ports), I hopped into a taxi and picked up my one and only Mexican cache. I was very pleased to grab at least one while cruising. Total cost (internet + cab): $35.00. And worth every penny, of course!

Edited by luvvinbird

One of the caches I'm hiding next summer will be my most expensive hide (and someone else's find).

Excluding gear, food or anything else like that, the cheapest train ticket (only accessable via train) is currently ~$130. The find and surrounding area, and the trip will make it worth every penny however.

My most expensive find (caches and an event) excluding fuel and food was ~$300. Hotel and 10km over (ticket) on the way into the town, and the another 10km over leaving town... The first one I earned. The second... questionable (but too far from home to bother fighting).

I used to regularly spend $1000-$2000 on trips to GeoWoodstock. I spent wayyy more than that on my trip to GW8.

I did about $900 damage to my old Jetta looking for a shortcut to a cache.

It cost me about $350-$400 to make a special trip to get Necropolis & Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum.

I ruined a $1500 set of tires doing cache maintenance on my caches in the Sierras.

My latest cache cost me close to $100 in parts, supplies, and swag. So far it only has one find, but the comment and picture posted made it well worth it! Hopefully it gets more finds soon!

"FTF 9/2/12 1139am. Second FTF of the day. This was a great multi. Came here today with the kids. The cords were good and the info provided was clear and led us to the cache. It's obvious that a lot of effort was put into this one. This was a great cache for the kids, they had a blast. Cache is well stocked and dry. We traded swag and grabbed the cool TB. Signed the log. I'm adding this one to my favorites. Thanks for putting this together and giving me something fun to do with my kids on a Sunday morning. Well done."

3dc6aa1f-f86b-4641-9bcb-044d4dbbf12f.jpg

My latest cache cost me close to $100 in parts, supplies, and swag. So far it only has one find, but the comment and picture posted made it well worth it! Hopefully it gets more finds soon!

"FTF 9/2/12 1139am. Second FTF of the day. This was a great multi. Came here today with the kids. The cords were good and the info provided was clear and led us to the cache. It's obvious that a lot of effort was put into this one. This was a great cache for the kids, they had a blast. Cache is well stocked and dry. We traded swag and grabbed the cool TB. Signed the log. I'm adding this one to my favorites. Thanks for putting this together and giving me something fun to do with my kids on a Sunday morning. Well done."

3dc6aa1f-f86b-4641-9bcb-044d4dbbf12f.jpg

Those words and that terrific picture is every CO's dream come true. Nicely done!

*SNIP*

Those words and that terrific picture is every CO's dream come true. Nicely done!

Definitely. The comment was enough. But as soon as I loaded the pic, I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. I read so many logs about people's kids being disappointed because they find a big container with nothing in it but junk. I loaded the heck out of the thing with nothing but stuff for kids. I tried to get a good balance of guys and girls stuff. I was relieved I did that once I saw the pic of the little girl. There are things in there that I would definitely take as a 23 year old, but it was mainly for the youngsters. After having it approved I thought about it, and it probably wasn't a good idea to make it a multi-cache. It's a really simple two stage, but I can imagine a lot of people just disregard the thought of doing multi-caches from the get go. I have a few friends like that. They won't bother going after anything that requires solving a puzzle or more than one location.