'Easy' finds

TwoKnight

I'm completely addicted to geocaching but unfortunately, also incredibly frustrated by it. I've searched for 13 caches so far and only found 2 of them. When I've looked up the online logs for each, most people say it was an 'easy' or 'quick' find and they are all rated at 1 or 1 1/2 stars for difficulty. Am I doing something wrong? I'm spending half an hour poking around with sticks, lifting things up, looking up and around me with no luck. Any tips? I'm just using an Iphone if that makes any difference.

Hi smurfie,

of course, a crappy GPS reception might be the cause of your frustration.

Even a highend GPS device has an aberration of 2-5 meters, some Smartphones double this with ease.

Also, you must consider the size and the kind of cache - a Mystery cache is not hidden at the published location ;-)

An other cause might be, that there are some hiding-places you just don't know - yet. It just takes some practicing and some time. Don't get discouraged!

Regards,

M / Team Exxodos

While I am not knocking "city" caches.... Downtown Brisbane might be a different caching experience than outside of the city.

City caches, by the nature of their habitat must be either well hidden or well camouflaged to prevent non-cachers (muggles) from finding them. Muggles have this strange habit of simply taking them. Hence, when a cacher looks for it, it isn't there to find.

The best camouflage is to make it appear something it is not. So, if you are looking for what you perceive to be a 'container', you have to change your thought process a bit. It will be a container, but it can be something that does not look like a container.

Next... don't necessarily look for a container. Look for it's hiding spot.

Your phone or GPSr will NOT take you TO the cache. If you think it is going to, you must drop that thought. It will take you to the "listed coordinates" -- that is not the same thing as "to the cache". Accuracy of the unit is not the problem -- it is the limitations of the device and system. Typically, you will have a 20 ft circle (often larger) in which the cache should be located, and that does not address whether it is hidden high or low.

Do read the previous logs before attempting to find the cache... ignore those that are short, single-phrase or one-liner logs. A composed and written log will (can) provide you with a clue or two. While not really a hint, if you see that somebody had to "reach", it could be hidden quite high or deeply within something -- it is a clue.

The real trick is to "un-loose" your brain and think outside of the box.

Add to all of that, your DNF log is important. That is what a Cache Owner (CO) uses to determine whether a cache MAY be missing. If you have not filed a DNF on those you have not found, do so. Being "new" has nothing to do with it, well experienced cachers also have DNFs.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I'm new too and I agree with eusty - after you get four or five under your belt you will get a spidey sense. Most of my finds have been in park settings and I'm starting to be able to see little paths other cachers have made to my target even if it's just bent grass on the way to the GZ. One thing that has helped me a lot is sticking with the caches of one person for a while. I kind of have a feel for the kind of containers he uses, the sort of hides that are his "style" and it's helped me build up my confidence and know what to look for. The urban ones are harder for me too - worrying about muggles while being a new cacher isn't as much fun as staring at a tree by yourself and thinking - it HAS to be here. You'll go around in circles a lot and that's okay too :)

I'm spending half an hour poking around with sticks, lifting things up, looking up and around me with no luck. Any tips? I'm just using an Iphone if that makes any difference.

How are you navigating to the cache? If you're using maps only, and that's not working, maybe an app that shows bearing and distance would be better for you. If you're using something like Google map directions, it's possible that you're being led to the middle of streets, which is almost always where a cache isn't. Be sure to log every cache you attempt (DNF if you Did Not Find), and you may ask the Cache Owner for a better hint.

Here are some tips:

Look at the star rating for a cache. If both Difficulty and Terrain are less than “2”, it should be good for beginners, and probably fun for the kids, too. Pick a “Traditional Cache” (green icon), “Small” or larger size (save Micros for later). Check the description to see if it's something that seems likely to find. Look for an encrypted “additional hint”, there may be useful info there (for more of a challenge, bring it along encrypted and use it only if necessary). Read a couple of recent logs, so you know others are finding it. You may even look at the satellite view on the map, to see where the cache icon is in relation to walls, fences, and other landmarks.

When I started Geocaching, if the cache description was very specific, that's one I'd try – I'd basically know exactly where I was going to look when I arrived. You might try a similar system.

It's not unusual for me to spend a half hour of fruitless searching. But I try to select caches that are worth the time.

Edited by kunarion

Often, caches described as quick and easy are hidden in places that experienced geocachers have learned to look, because a lot of caches are hidden in those kinds of places. If you've never encountered that kind of hiding spot before, they're anything but quick and easy. Of course, experienced geocachers also develop names and acronyms for such common hiding spots. A glossary will include those names and acronyms, for example:

http://geolex.locusprime.net/

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Glossary

And here's some general advice for beginners that I've posted before:

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

All good advice. And just to add some reassurance, after almost 8 years and over 3K finds, I STILL often have trouble with some 1-1.5 rated caches. Especially in hedges and juniper trees. I'm quite used to seeing, right after my DNF, "Easy find, TFTC" by someone who has been in the game for a week and has two finds. :blink:

Just to echo what hukilaulau said....I've been playing just over a month and have 138 finds. I introduced my brother's family to the hobby over the weekend and then they went out yesterday and his 7 year-old easily found a cache that I've failed to find twice! LOL

Different caches suit different people I guess and sometimes you just miss the obvious because you're looking too hard. It gets better with patience and experience and you'll soon get your caching 'mojo' and learn where to look and what to look for. The biggest single tip I found useful is to look for anything that looks out of place :)

Thanks everyone. I'm planning a hunt with my friend who introduced me to Geocaching soon so that might help. Interesting to note my GPS might be up to 5 metres out - that would make a big difference to the areas I have searched. Will have to go back and have another go with a few of them. And yes, I will just persevere. It will make the next find (when it does happen) just that much sweeter.

I have also had problems with "park & grab" caches that are very close to my home. One is now listed for maintenance. Each of these caches were last found around 1 YEAR before I searched for them, so I am assuming they have been moved/removed/destroyed. I also use the iPhone but will attempt all of them with hubby's GPS from his Cessna 172 and my new iPhone app "Commander Compass Lite" to see if I can locate them.

Wishing you success in your searches!