A spreadsheet to help create Geo Art

Nuttyguy

Hey fellow cachers, I figured you might like this.

http://nuttyguy.com/geo/geoart.xlsx

Over the last few months I have been working (with a team, Wazzu Cachers) on a new geoart series in the Eastern WA area that forms the shape of a local university's logo. I created a simple excel spreadsheet where you type the number 1 into a cell in the pattern you want and it spits out the coords. It was a tedious highly un-automated process at first but with a lil help from my brother we made it more automated and simple.

Here is the spreadsheet, take a look at it, tell me what you think, ask questions, or improve it and re post it.

Here's a link to #1 of the geoart I mentioned. The first 10 (out of 50) were published this morning: http://coord.info/GC3VQ1C

Edited by Nuttyguy

Change C3 on tab coords to

=IF(main!A1=1;CONCATENATE($A$3;" ";coords!$B3;",";$C$1;" ";coords!C$2);"")

Now you can copy/paste this cell as many times as you need to other cells (there are some incorrect ones on your file).

Add a conditional format to all original cells to paint them, so you don't need to paint them manually :rolleyes:, just writing "1" will change color.

Edited by GeoDeep

Now you can copy/paste this cell as many times as you need to other cells (there are some incorrect ones on your file).

Add a conditional format to all original cells to paint them, so you don't need to paint them manually :rolleyes:, just writing "1" will change color.

Thanks for the tips, I updated the formulas as you said on coords tab. I also added conditional formatting to the main tab.

What is the point of this?

Posting a cluster of pointless caches out in some blank area of the wilds so geocachers can see some silly logo portrayed? :blink:

Why would I want to visit such lame locations?

Ridiculous, and actually pathetic in reality.

Quite a few cachers actually really enjoy doing geo art series. This spreadsheet can help anyone else interested in taking on the daunting task of creating it.

Posting a cluster of pointless caches out in some blank area of the wilds so geocachers can see some silly logo portrayed? :blink:

Quite a few cachers actually really enjoy doing geo art series. This spreadsheet can help anyone else interested in taking on the daunting task of creating it.

Yes, I know.

But I still don't see the point.

a cluster of pointless caches out in some blank area of the wilds so geocachers can see some silly logo portrayed

Making it easier just makes it even more pointless.

I don't like trails (find them boring) but some folks put a lot of work on it:

Thunderbird

Alien and UFO

Edited to add this one just discovered in my own country :rolleyes: : Geocaching

:rolleyes:

Edited by GeoDeep

I'd invite you out to complete our simple logo.

Only 41 caches.

Not sure if the bushwhacking and terrain would be friendly to the rail trail folks though.

We also hid them in 5 different groups (seporately), so the hiding styles are different, containers are different, and most are actual caches with swag.

Nice Spreadsheet! Good work.

It is disrespectful to call someone else's work pointless, ridiculous, and/or pathetic. It is one thing to not like an idea, and something else to be demeaning. I think an apology is in order. What is the point of any series, or cache with a theme? Going to extra effort to make a nifty series of caches more unique should be applauded. It is just one more flavor of geocaching.

Ah. But someone has challenged me to create a work of Geoart! Would have to be mystery caches. I can probably find fifteen scenic locations to hide (well, they would have to be micros considering the area involvd...) Intresting challenge. And a lot of work! We'll see how I make out, if I decide to accept the challenge...

Have you considered doing your avatar? :lol:

8e8bc802-7d60-45bb-9ce7-2049425bc080.jpg

Besides, it will prove to generations to come that we have been visited by aliens.

Thanks for the tips, I updated the formulas as you said on coords tab. I also added conditional formatting to the main tab.

Your "organized coords" worksheet is missing the coordinates for "coords!q3:q11"

Hey fellow cachers, I figured you might like this.

http://nuttyguy.com/geo/geoart.xlsx

Over the last few months I have been working (with a team, Wazzu Cachers) on a new geoart series in the Eastern WA area that forms the shape of a local university's logo. I created a simple excel spreadsheet where you type the number 1 into a cell in the pattern you want and it spits out the coords. It was a tedious highly un-automated process at first but with a lil help from my brother we made it more automated and simple.

Here is the spreadsheet, take a look at it, tell me what you think, ask questions, or improve it and re post it.

Here's a link to #1 of the geoart I mentioned. The first 10 (out of 50) were published this morning: http://coord.info/GC3VQ1C

i dont understand why you are using a spreadsheet, instead of just clicking the wwypoint and copy/pasting its coordinates ?

Ditto.

A lame and uninspiring power trail that creates a virtual shape on a map.

Place them along a road on utility poles and have the shape appear in some farmers field, or other location you'll never visit.

Woo Hoo.

Yes, I know.

But I still don't see the point.

a cluster of pointless caches out in some blank area of the wilds so geocachers can see some silly logo portrayed

Making it easier just makes it even more pointless.

But doesn't your state have a high number of GeoArt?