Geo-Training Multi Cache

Armorsmith

I've introduced several people to geocaching since I started, and I usually do it by visiting caches that show them some of the common hiding types to help get them into the right headspace.

The problem is, I have to drive back and forth all over town to do it in the best order and it takes a few hours. I'm working on a plan to create a Geo-Training multi cache that has several stages in a fairly small area to introduce new cachers to various sizes and types of containers, types of hides, etc. The goal would be to teach the cacher-in-training enough so they could have a reasonable shot at finding a 2/2 by the end of it. Cachers could go around and try to find the cache, but a complete spoiler that would turn each cache stage into a 1 difficulty would be provided. I'm working on finding a suitable location that has both urban and wooded components in close proximate, I.E. a park next to a shopping center.

I thought I'd post what I have so far and ask for input from other cachers who have helped cachers-in-training.

Here is what I have so far as essentials some are more than one stage, and some can be combined into a single stage:

1. What are the four cache sizes (micro, small, regular, and large)
  2. Some caches are under something
  3. Use your hands to feel for a cache
  4. Watch out for muggle attention
  5. When you get close, trust your eyes, not your GPS (cache intentionally place near a landmark, but with coordinates that bounce around enough that a GPSr will only get you within 20 or so feet))
  6. Camouflaged caches (both urban and rural)
  7. Watch for things that look out of place
  8. What is SWAG (gonna suggest that they take a 5 spot to a party store and grab some small SWAG before they start)
  9. What is Cache In/Trash Out (bonus free garbage bag in this cache :) )
  10. Leave not trace and Respecting the cacher's creed (with a take-home copy of the creed)
  11. Caching safety and geo-bag essentials (see list below and suggest additions to that as well)
  12. Reporting a cache that is damaged (what does and does not need a maintenance request, example cache will be a sound cache in good condition except for cosmetic damage)
  13. Reporting DNF's responsibly (cache stage will be high difficulty and have no spoilers, teaches the importance of DNF logs and when not to tell the owner that you think the cache is missing)
  14. Respecting private property and the GPS arrow doesn't always point the best route to the cache
  15. Puzzle caches
  16. Think three-dimensionally, look up, down, and under
  17. Recognizing trackables and helping them on their way

Anything else that you guys feel a cacher should know before they go out on their own for the first time?

Contents of the Geo-bag (not including the GPSr, which will spend most of its time in your hands anyway)

1. Water
  2. Snacks (especially if you have kids with you)
  3. Gloves
  4. Sunscreen
  5. Bug Spray
  6. Hand sanitizer and wipes
  7. Pens
  8. Notebook
  9. Flashlight
  10. Multi-tool
  11. Camera
  12. Spare Zip-loc baggies (in various sizes)
  13. Film canisters (can get from free from local camera store)
  14. Spare Log books in various sizes
  15. First aid kit
  16. Webbing and paracord
  17. SWAG bag
  18. Batteries for your GPSr

Again, any additions, deletions, questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcomed.

Thanks a lot,

The Armorsmith

Edited by Armorsmith

If the plan is to make all these single stages of a single cache, I'd suggest a series of caches instead. Easier to maintain that way.

Also, please please please, for #5, please please please don't intentionally put out soft coords. Even if it's part of a lesson, it's a bad idea. Otherwise, I think it's great :grin:

If the plan is to make all these single stages of a single cache, I'd suggest a series of caches instead. Easier to maintain that way.

Also, please please please, for #5, please please please don't intentionally put out soft coords. Even if it's part of a lesson, it's a bad idea. Otherwise, I think it's great :grin:

I also have to wonder about #12 and #13. There are probably plenty of other opportunities for cachers to discover damaged and missing containers that it's probably not a good idea to intentionally created examples of this sort of geocaching experience.

I also agree with idea of a series rather than a multi cache. It would be sort of like the Puzzle #101 series that demonstrates a variety of common puzzle cache methods. For my very first hide it's a fairly easy find in that there really aren't too many spots where it be could be hidden but it might provide a lesson for neophyte cachers to think outside the box. Unfortunately it's currently disabled as the hiding location was compromised due to some recent (but nearly complete) construction. Once the construction is complete I'll be able to check and see if it's still possible to rehide it in a similar manner but I suspect that I'll have to archive it.

Good points, both, but I can see this getting into the 20 stage range, so it's going to need regular maintenance either way. I had two rationals for using a multi rather than a series. First, geocaching density rules limit caches to one every tenth of a mile, and I'd like to keep the total round-trip hike for the series in the neighborhood of a mile to keep it as accessible as possible to those who don't walk so well, or who have small children with them. My second concern is how many caches you log for doing the series, because the documentation will contain things like "pick up the large rock and you'll find the cache underneath it..." I don't think it constitutes 20 finds for the hour or two it would take to complete the course.

But on the same note, it is probably too much work for a single find (at least for a newbie) so it might be beneficial to break it up into 3 or 4 multis with different focuses and difficulty levels?

I completely understand about the soft coordinates... my intention is to go with option 1, place the cache somewhere that I can put down solid coordinates, but have it in a place that the GPSr will bounce around a lot. Between buildings or under heavy tree cover comes to mind. I've just seen more than one CIT walk past an ammo can at the base of a tree because their GPS signal was giving then a 20 foot distance and they didn't even look away from the screen.

I also have to wonder about #12 and #13. There are probably plenty of other opportunities for cachers to discover damaged and missing containers that it's probably not a good idea to intentionally created examples of this sort of geocaching experience.

I see your point, I had not thought if it that way, but the lessons are still important, so perhaps this would be a better route to take on those:

For #12, offer up a cache that is "damaged" i.e. weathered and cosmetically scared perhaps, but is still structurally solid and which contains a dry log and dry contents. Essentially, one that should not be reported as damaged, but which a new cacher might post a "needs maintenance" log for anyway.

For #13, have this stage be a cache, but an "evil" one that does not conform to the lessons already taught. That way, if they find this stage, they can sign the log. (Maybe even use an existing level 4 so that they could get an extra smiley if they find it.) After all, it's more beneficial to learn when to post a DNF rather than a maintenance log telling the owner that you think it has been muggled.

But on the same note, it is probably too much work for a single find (at least for a newbie) so it might be beneficial to break it up into 3 or 4 multis with different focuses and difficulty levels?

One advantage of breaking it up into several caches is that it also provides the opportunity to demonstrate different cache types. Yes, you could introduce a field puzzle as a stage in a multi but doing that might muddy the definition of a multi cache and a better lesson about Puzzle caches would be a fairly straightforward puzzle. You could also add a letter box hybrid to teach newbies that the stamp isn't a swag item.

Many good points have been shared.

I like "The training course" aspect /approach.

A twenty stage multi, could become problematic if stages go missing. (ie 15 stages in a vital piece is missing and everything grinds to a halt ... a lot of work for little gain.

A twenty stager would not be my cup of tea.

A series of related multi's in the two to four stage realm might have more merit.

Here is the 1st in a series of caches our local group sponsored called Geoskills. There are 8 caches on a loop trail system that show of variety of hide styles and each is designed to teach a lesson/skill for use in geocaching. I think the write ups are very well done.

GC250JF