2 Garmins no longer working after send to GPS

out12

A couple days ago I received notification of a new cache near home. Grabbed my Oregon 300 and connected the USB went on the cache page and did the "Send to GPS". Everything seemed to go well until I turned the Oregon back on and got an error message "System Software Missing". Decided not to mess with it then so I grabbed my old Vista Hcx and did the same "Send to GPS". Things seemed to be working fine until I tried to locate the cache on the unit and couldn't. Ended up looking up the info on my phone and entering it manually to get to the cache.

So now the sad part of the story. Once back home, I did some research on the Oregon and tried several fixes on my own (hard reset, boot block to update software). Nothing worked so I called customer support and after about a half hour and several attempts to salvage it, it was determined that it needs to go back to Garmin. So then I was ready to fall back on the Vista for now. Not having used it much in the last 3 years I had to relearn it a bit, so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. But after reviewing the manual and trying several things the unit will not interface with the computer. I can enter USB mass storage and access the microSD card, but the GPS will not show itself. I have tried Mapsource, GSAK and Garmin's WebUpdater. None of them will recognize the unit.

So my question is, has anyone else had these issues and how can they be solved? Also, is it possible that the Send to GPS did something to somehow corrupt the software on both units or is it just a very strange coincidence?

Well I guess I made some progress. I tried connecting to my laptop after installing Garmin Communicator and USB drivers. Computer recognized the device and I was able to send waypoints via GSAK. So I am guessing there is something on my other computer causing the problem with the Vista. Anyone have any ideas??

Decided not to mess with it then so I grabbed my old Vista Hcx... I can enter USB mass storage and access the microSD card, but the GPS will not show itself. I have tried Mapsource, GSAK and Garmin's WebUpdater. None of them will recognize the unit.

With the Vista HCx you don't use USB MASS Storage mode if you want to send geocaches to the unit. It won't read them off the datacard. Also, you GPS won't mount on your desktop. All you do is plug it in and the you use MapSource, Garmin Communicator or gsak to send directly the cache to the GPS.

Decided not to mess with it then so I grabbed my old Vista Hcx... I can enter USB mass storage and access the microSD card, but the GPS will not show itself. I have tried Mapsource, GSAK and Garmin's WebUpdater. None of them will recognize the unit.

With the Vista HCx you don't use USB MASS Storage mode if you want to send geocaches to the unit. It won't read them off the datacard. Also, you GPS won't mount on your desktop. All you do is plug it in and the you use MapSource, Garmin Communicator or gsak to send directly the cache to the GPS.

I understand that I don't have to enter USB Mass Storage to send waypoints, I was just saying that I could connect that way to the microSD but that the GPS itself was not being recognized. Since I have it working on the laptop I have to assume there is a software issue on my desktop that is keeping things from getting along.

Well the Vista problem is solved. Not quite sure exactly how but it's working. The device driver didn't seem to be working and I couldn't seem to get it to find the latest updated one. After doing the same procedure several times it finally updated and is now working. At least I have one operating GPS until the new Oregon shows up.