Android App - Nexus 7 Support

xtb

There are plenty of Geocaching app's that do work on the Nexus give Locus maps a try. Its designed for off line use.

I know, but I prefer to use it online (via mobile wlan hotspot). For offline use I have my Oregon ... but sometimes missing data/caches/logs/hints ...

Looks like the Android App doesn't work with the new Nexus 7 ... can you please update it :)

I just bought the Asus (Google) Nexus 7 tablet and was somewhat disappointed that the Groundspeak app is not compatible and could not be installed via the store.

When is support expected?

Looks like the Android App doesn't work with the new Nexus 7 ... can you please update it :)

I just bought the Asus (Google) Nexus 7 tablet and was somewhat disappointed that the Groundspeak app is not compatible and could not be installed via the store.

People have been requesting this update since at least May and it's still not done? What gives?

People have been requesting this update since at least May and it's still not done? What gives?

It's available now! I installed "Geocaching" last night -- it was suddenly in the list as "compatible", so I installed it, no problem. Seems fine to me, but I haven't tried to find a cache with it. The Nexus 7 will probably be OK in an extreme caching emergency, but due to many things, including no live data connection, I doubt I'll use any caching App much.

http://www.geocaching.com/android/default.aspx

Edited by kunarion

The Nexus 7 will probably be OK in an extreme caching emergency, but due to many things, including no live data connection, I doubt I'll use any caching App much.

Then you have the wrong app.

Get Locus maps. Add the map tweak for additional map sources. And Geocaching4Locus. And you have a great off line caching solution. Locus can download and import PQ's directly. It also supports downloading of maps for off lie use.

The GPS on the Nexus is every bit as good as the etrex we have. The main downside is the robustness of the Nexus, I would not want to get it wet or drop it.

It's available now! I installed "Geocaching" last night -- it was suddenly in the list as "compatible", so I installed it, no problem. Seems fine to me, but I haven't tried to find a cache with it. The Nexus 7 will probably be OK in an extreme caching emergency, but due to many things, including no live data connection, I doubt I'll use any caching App much.

http://www.geocaching.com/android/default.aspx

Personally I rather seen Groundspeak devote development efforts towards features that we all can use than on adding compatibility for a device that only a very small fraction of geocachers use.

Personally I rather seen Groundspeak devote development efforts towards features that we all can use than on adding compatibility for a device that only a very small fraction of geocachers use.

Which device are they to develop it for? One of the Smartphones?*

* OK, actually making it exclusive to a couple models of phone is not a bad idea. My Tablets' screens are completely washed out in sunlight (and as it turns out, some Geocaches are outside, even on a bright sunny day). Acer & Nexus, both are almost impossible to see outdoors. The most valuable thing the Acer does, is it allows me to get and send a Pocket Query to my Garmin, when at a wifi Hotspot. The Nexus 7 can't even do that. But I get PQs from the website, not from the GC App.

Edited by kunarion