STANDARD USGS TABLET?

DukeOfURL01

I was looking at LT0712 and the datasheet says it's a

THE STATION MARK IS A STANDARD USGS TABLET, NOT STAMPED, CEMENTED IN SOLID ROCK OUTCROP.

And I was thinking to myself, "I wonder what a Standard USGS tablet looks like" - Does anyone have a picture of one?

I don't think I'll get to see this one, it's pretty remote...

DukeOfURL01,

Unfortunately when the USGS uses the word “tablet” it is not as exciting or as unique as it sounds. In USGS terminology, “tablet” is just another word for “disk”. If you have seen a USGS bench mark disk set in a rock or concrete or masonry you have seen a tablet.

In the following link, page 4 has photos of tablets and page 6 has a description. (If the link works properly, just scroll up slightly to see page 4 and down slightly to see page 6. Look under the "Bench Marks" section of page 6 for the text description.)

USGS Book

Edited by TillaMurphs

DukeOfURL01,

Unfortunately when the USGS uses the word "tablet" it is not as exciting or as unique as it sounds. In USGS terminology, "tablet" is just another word for "disk". If you have seen a USGS disk set in a rock or concrete or masonry you have seen a tablet.

In the following link, page 4 has photos of tablets and page 6 has a description. (If the link works properly, just scroll up slightly to see page 4 and down slightly to see page 6. Look under the "Bench Marks" section of page 6 for the text description.)

USGS Book

Ah. ok. Thanks.

Unfortunately when the USGS uses the word “tablet” it is not as exciting or as unique as it sounds. In USGS terminology, “tablet” is just another word for “disk”. If you have seen a USGS bench mark disk set in a rock or concrete or masonry you have seen a tablet.

TillaMurphs, thanks for the education. B)