Tricksy muggle question

Tricksta

Hi all,

Today I found my first geocache completely by accident, noticed a small plastic box covered in camo tape on the floor under a bush near a path i was on. Being nosey I had a look in the box and found a geocache, luckily I had heard of geocaching before so I had some idea of what to do. I logged my name and the date, but didnt have anything to swap so went home and found something, I swapped a small ladybug bead/toy with a smart looking button. Of course I put the cache back where I found it and made sure it was well sealed again etc.

So to the point, I joined the site in the hope that I would be able to log the cache on here but I can't find it listed, what should I do? Any ideas??

would be glad of any pointers

Tricksta

Do you even have a GPS to know the rough coordinates? Sounds like you have found it without a GPS, which is just fine of course, but most likely you will be using coordinates to find future caches, not finding them by accident. Know the street address where the cache is? I bet if you had the address, one of us could find it.

Small chance the cache could be a cache not listed at the coordinates you found it, as it could be a multi or mystery.

Also, there are caches that are not "geocaches" but lets not talk about them. :)

Hi all,

Today I found my first geocache completely by accident, noticed a small plastic box covered in camo tape on the floor under a bush near a path i was on. Being nosey I had a look in the box and found a geocache, luckily I had heard of geocaching before so I had some idea of what to do. I logged my name and the date, but didnt have anything to swap so went home and found something, I swapped a small ladybug bead/toy with a smart looking button. Of course I put the cache back where I found it and made sure it was well sealed again etc.

So to the point, I joined the site in the hope that I would be able to log the cache on here but I can't find it listed, what should I do? Any ideas??

would be glad of any pointers

Tricksta

Two possibilities come to mind. It may have been a "Premium Member Only" cache in which case, if your not a paid member, you won't see it. Secondly, it's possible it's been archived and without the specific GC numbers, you won't see it. I wouldn't worry about this one, go out and enjoy finding the ones around your neighbourhood and experience the fun of geocaching. But, hopefully, you'll eventually get your answer.

Several possibilities.

A. Could be a new cache that has not been published yet. If the log book was still blank this would be the most likely.

B. Could be a stage or the final of a multi cache or mystery cache whereby the exact listed coordinates would be different that where the cache is located.

C. Could be a cache that has been archived for one reason or another but has not been removed the area.

D. Could be a premium member only cache which are only visible to premium members.

E. Could be a cache that is listed on another "geocaching" site (there are a few others out there).

F. Could be a Letterbox which is similiar to a Geocache but is typically found through clues rather than GPS coords. Letterboxes will always have a rubber stamp of some sort and the log book will be stamped with finder's personal stamps rather than signatures.

Anyway, welcome to Geocaching, I hope you decide to join in on the hunt.

Am not from the UK, but I am looking at the map. I see both A4500 and Weedon Road but they seem to be the same road, have a cross street?

Here is one, a premium member one,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC35ZPA

"A cache and dash near the "Welcome to Northampton" sign"

small sized container, over a creek. As a non Premium member, you would not see this one. That cache has not been found since June 28th so if you remember that if the last signature was from that date, it could be a winner.

Edited by lamoracke

Thanks for the information,

In reply to some of your ideas/comments:

It wasn't a new cache as the logs went back over a year (can't remember how long) but the last visitor that logged was in June this year.

Definitely wasn't a letterbox, no stamp and a few cache items (even though I only found out what one was by reading on here over the past couple of hours!) there were however a few personal stamps in the log between the numerous hand written entries.

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to finding more, just need to get together a collection of nice bits and bobs to swap.

Tricksta

Yes, you can log this cache...but going forward, you would still not be able to see these caches unless you upgraded some day. Probably plenty regular non PMO (Premium Member caches) for you to get your feet wet first around there though.

Try to log another cache, any cache.

Click on post a new log. When you are in that screen, change the website entry to this one...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=2537920

or just change the ID to 2537920

Log away with the details of your find, it will let you log it. Hopefully that is a correct explanation of the "backdoor" method for this cache for you.

Edited by lamoracke

fyi, I saw you posted a spoiler picture of the cache you found. Many COs (cache owners if you do not know the abbreviation yet) do not like that. Ultimately they can just delete the picture if they notice (and realize this new(ish) feature), but I would try to avoid posting spoilers of the caches unless you know the CO does not mind or has not already done so themselves. Just a word of advice.

Congrats on your second one.

just need to get together a collection of nice bits and bobs to swap.

Welcome to the game!

Just so you know, the trading part is entirely optional. Plenty of cachers take nothing, leave nothing (TNLN), simply leaving their signature and (hopefully) logging online as well.

But kids, if you have kids, they love they treasure-hunt / swapping aspect of it.

Enjoy.