GPS

louper

I have an Oregon550 Garmin and I love to use it while trapping to mark each trap that i set but connot find a way to do it on this unit.Can anybody could explain to me how to do it? Thanks

One of the options on the main menu should be "Mark Waypoint":

waypoint0.jpg

If it isn't on the first page, you'll have to scroll to the right to find it. When you're at a spot you want to mark, just hit this button, and then "Save". If you want to change its name or symbol, you could hit "Save and edit", then make the necessary changes.

I have an Oregon550 Garmin and I love to use it while trapping to mark each trap that i set but connot find a way to do it on this unit.Can anybody could explain to me how to do it? Thanks

One of the options on the main menu should be "Mark Waypoint":

waypoint0.jpg

If it isn't on the first page, you'll have to scroll to the right to find it. When you're at a spot you want to mark, just hit this button, and then "Save". If you want to change its name or symbol, you could hit "Save and edit", then make the necessary changes.

Thanks its a start my next question is . Is it possible save it as a route or sort of a little map of line of trapping?

You can also use the Waypoint Averaging feature on your 550. It will take sevral readings and average them together for a really tight set of coordinates. Just an idea.

When you say about setting a route, what I would do is take all the coordinates of your traps and enter them into Google Earth. Then I'd use the path drawing feature to draw the route that I wanted to take from one trap to the next. I'd save it to my computer (it's a .kmz file) then I'd convert it to a .gpx file for free using this website:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

The new .gpx file goes into the Garmin/GPX folder on my unit.

Next time I turn the gps on, pushing the Path Manager button will bring me to the path file. Select it and select "Go". On the map screen, there's the triangle and it will follow you as you trace the path. If you use the compass screen with "Small Data Fields" enabled, you can see stats such as distance you have left to go to follow the path to the end.

An alternative, if you prefer to navigate from one trap to the next, you can open up that path file in Path Manager and set it to show on the map (and set a color). On the map screen, the path will be visible and you can still follow it, but you can set the gps to navigate to the trap directly instead of navigating along the path.

Another way to save a path is to set the 550 to record your path as you're walking. You can enable it to show on the map and that's helpful when you're trying to find your way out from the middle of nowhere.

I often use both ways to navigate with my 450.