Long distance FTF

I left New York at 6:15AM, had a 3 hour layover in Newark, NJ, then a 14 hour flight to Tokyo. After a 6 hour layover I got to Singapore around 3:00AM Sunday morning (3:00PM Saturday EST). I got up for a 2 hour flight to Kuching, Malaysia, took a nap for three hours then hired a taxi to take me to a cache that had been placed on Thursday and found an empty log. I don't normally play the FTF game but this one was almost 9369.9 miles from home. I found two other caches before heading back to my hotel.

Good job!

That beats my own record by at least one large ocean, though my number, 10472 km, sounds more impressive because it's in metric. My record was in Chile, and within walking distance (but a wee bit closer to home) was another FTF that was especially appealing to me because it waited patiently 3½ years for the occasion. Those are the ones I go for.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Well done - you must be pleased!

Thanks.

BTW, I didn't attempt the Butterfly Garden cache at Changi airport in Singapore because I had been on an airplane or in airports for the previous 23 hours and getting some sleep was a priority. I've got a day an a half layover in Singapore on the way home and can get back to the airport in plenty of time to go look for it.

I don't normally play the FTF game but this one was almost 9369.9 miles from home.

Nice! But what is the average distance to your FTFs? At one point, ours was 280 miles, but that was right after we picked up seven FTFs in Scotland. Even today, though, our average FTF distance remains over 200 miles. (Oh, and our home coordinates are unchanged since we started geocaching.)

I don't normally play the FTF game but this one was almost 9369.9 miles from home.

Nice! But what is the average distance to your FTFs? At one point, ours was 280 miles, but that was right after we picked up seven FTFs in Scotland. Even today, though, our average FTF distance remains over 200 miles. (Oh, and our home coordinates are unchanged since we started geocaching.)

I don't even know how many FTFs I have (it's somewhere between 15-20 I think) so I wouldn't be able to calculate an average. This was just the case where I had done a PQ that covered 100 miles that resulted in 9 total caches and when I ran it a couple of days before I left I noticed that it was 10 caches, and that the new cache was only 3 miles away from where I was staying.

I think I remember seeing someone else post about a FTF about the same distance or farther in the past, but I wasn't posting to claim any sort of record.

Though I am generally anti-FTF-hound, I like this notion of doing FTFs with style. Either a long ways from home or on caches that have been lying out there unfound for a long time.

To me, those are what the whole FTF thing should be about. Being the first to lift a lamp-post skirt? Does not impress me. Being the first to find a cache placed 2 years ago in the middle of nowhere? That has style.

Gratz. Mine was two weeks ago "SE 2439.5 mi from your home location", while on a business trip to Bogota. While on that trip I had met another cacher by chance, we were both going after the same cache at the same time. Two days after my FTF he went after that one and was spotted by security, it's possible that we were the only two who will ever find this one. Plazoleta de los peregrinos

Edited by tisourway