Insect Hotels

Interesting, I have never heard of such a thing.

I did some quick searching (so don't take this too seriously), but it seems like this is very Europe centric. I couldn't find any examples outside of Europe and most were in either Germany or the UK. Then again, I didn't look too hard.

I am sitting in my back yard right now and I can see two of them (well, one is private). And I know many in the closer area. They have become extremely popular in last couple of years.

I like them and I think the idea is interesting, but not necessarily every single location. They all look slightly different, but still within a certain bandwidth that is given by their function. You don't see or learn anything new by visiting the next one. I don't know if this is enough.

This is a fascinating idea. Okay, so maybe there is a lack of prevalence, but I think that is irrelevant.

One of the values of Waymarking is education - learning new things. There are many categories for things I'd never heard of, but now know about because of Waymarking. The set of architecture categories is a good example. So, this category would help me learn about insect hotels. This would be a more challenging category than "fountains," which are everywhere, but I think that is a valid reason for having a category. We might find some in the most unexpected places. Be sure to exclude common bee hives and apiaries, though.

the good the bad and the uggly are all represented in weymakring and as such many who chime in on the prevalence argument really need to consider the other factors that weymarking is now good for EDUCATION Edumacation or what ever it is you know learn stuff. This is what some of the focus of category creation should be on and not just if I can score a waymark in the newest Grid of that ever growing grid.

sorry for any sarcasm

Insect hotels Maybe only man made ones as some of the natural ones are every where and may not be there the next time you visit. I also agree with the silverquill regarding the common bee hives and apiaries.

After a year of sleep I get out of my cocoon and bring back this topic.

I'm more than ever interested in creating a category for Insect Hotels.

I have hold my eyes open the last months for the different kinds of insect hotels. I have found several insect hotels out there. And many of them have interesting information plates to learn about insects and how to build your own insect hotel.

I would say some of them are worth enough to be waymarked. I say some of them - not all.

We should find some definition what will be accepted an what will not.

I try:

We are looking only for Insect Hotels whose front view has at least one square meter of surface.

If the Insect Hotel is smaller than this it can only be accepted if there is an information plate.

A good example:

e6382f63-149e-4972-a6ca-521501891be2.jpg

What do you think?

I have created a group. Someone interested to become an officer?

Sure, I'm interested in becoming an Insect Hotel officer. Very cool structures. I'd love to visit one for a closer look.

Comments for Peer Review:

@wildwoodke: structures are on private property --> yes and no! I have found several examples on private property but most of my finds are at public accessable locations like parks, arboretums, nature parks, on dirt roads, forest edges and fields ...

So there might be no problems with trespass if you only use the public accessable ones. About the half of my finds do have an information board with further details. So again no problems with trespass.

@stinger503: Not prevalent enough--> Do you mean too less or too many? It's not clear from your comment.

@Punga and Paua: Too many restrictions --> I think we do not have many restrictions. The only one is that we do not want to waymark every simple'hotel'. This would be much too many. Here in Central Europe you can find such simple ones on nearly every second tree.

We're also interested in NZ's wetas! If their homes are always very small and simple you have to find one with an information board about them and it will be welcome in our category.

I hope you will chnage your votes to 'yea'!

To add to what Tante.Hossi said, the third party website referenced in the category write up was not intended to be a comprehensive list of insect hotels. Our purpose and the websites purpose are totally separate. The website's intent is to educate and encourage people to add them to their back yards in an eco-friendly way. Our purpose in referencing it, was meant to give a variety of examples, utilizing different designs and materials, of what these insect hotels might look like; thus, giving you a better idea of the range of designs that you might see out in "the field". Clearly, there will be insect hotels on private property - large and small. But that is not the only place to find them.