Kiwi having a short visit to South Africa

rediguana

I'm going to be visiting South Africa for a few days in the near future. I'll be staying near Durban for a couple of nights, and then will be doing a short 3 day safari before flying out (alas unable to spend more time in SA this trip). This will be my first time to Africa and South Africa. I'm keen to try and grab a cache or two. I have done a little reading on security in South Africa, and so am aware of most of the risks.

Any tips or advice would be most welcome! :)

I'm going to be visiting South Africa for a few days in the near future. I'll be staying near Durban for a couple of nights,

The Durban area (Ethekwini) has over 500 caches, with a great mix of puzzle and traditional plus others. There is also a variety ranging from urban park & grabs to grassland and/or forest trails in the nature reserves. Most of the reserves are safe to walk in, but there are a few where you should preferably be in a group. Without knowing where you will be based, it is difficult to give accurate advice :) .

Please post your dates and where you will be staying - perhaps we can even organise an event so that you can meet the locals - some local cachers may even be keen to take you out for a day of caching.

Without knowing where you will be based, it is difficult to give accurate advice :) ... Please post your dates and where you will be staying - perhaps we can even organise an event so that you can meet the locals - some local cachers may even be keen to take you out for a day of caching.

I will be spending a couple of nights down at Doonside, Thu/Fri this coming week, after that I'm on an organised safari. I've been pretty busy up till now to get onto any planning. Unfortunately that means it will be well inside the 2 week guideline for listing event caches.

The best opportunity to meet local cachers is unfortunately going to be a weekday, this coming Friday 7 SEP. I'd love to go caching with some locals, but also understand that it is a workday :)

Without knowing where you will be based, it is difficult to give accurate advice :) ... Please post your dates and where you will be staying - perhaps we can even organise an event so that you can meet the locals - some local cachers may even be keen to take you out for a day of caching.

I will be spending a couple of nights down at Doonside, Thu/Fri this coming week,

The best opportunity to meet local cachers is unfortunately going to be a weekday, this coming Friday 7 SEP. I'd love to go caching with some locals,

OK, that's not a train smash as we have an event on the 6th :)

See GC3V35P.

I am sure we can organise a few hours of caching in the Doonside area on either the Thursday or the Friday, and possibly also a lift to & from the event if you are stuck for transpoirt. Watch this space :D

Pete

OK, that's not a train smash as we have an event on the 6th :) I am sure we can organise a few hours of caching in the Doonside area on either the Thursday or the Friday, and possibly also a lift to & from the event if you are stuck for transpoirt. Watch this space :D

Oh, this sounds like it could even work for the event. My flight lands at 1800 on the 6th. I won't have my own transport on Thu/Fri, so if there is any chance of a ride, that would be awesome. I have bribes available ;)

And I've just had an 'awww crap' moment. Not only is the Mega in Pretoria, but it is also the same weekend that the ABs are playing the Springboks in J'burg. That is just cruel! :)

event on the 6th :)

if you are stuck for transpoirt. Watch this space :D

My flight lands at 1800 on the 6th. I won't have my own transport on Thu/Fri, so if there is any chance of a ride, that would be awesome. I have bribes available ;)

The event is halfway between the airport and Doonside, I'm not sure how you are getting from one to the other, but there is a cacher from the Doonside area attending the event who may be able to take you on the 2nd half of the journey..

Watch this space and we will see what we can throw together for Friday. My email is technonut[at]stars.co.za

And I've just had an 'awww crap' moment. Not only is the Mega in Pretoria, but it is also the same weekend that the ABs are playing the Springboks in J'burg. That is just cruel! :)

You wouldn't want to be there (at the match) anyway. its not going to be pretty for the ABs. :D .

I'll be at the MEGA - and also in Joburg to see the All Black do their miighty Haka and then get chased around the park as the Springboks do their dance on them :)

Hope to meet you inj the next few days.

It was great meeting everyone at the event last night, and sorry I was a bit late getting there, the weather impacted the flight plans just a little ;)

I managed to get a handful of Postbox caches after the event on the way to the hotel. Yes, very much looking forward to the safari, and the niggling travel cough has nearly gone! :)

Also looking forward to caching with cincol in Doha - still amazed at how small a world geocaching can make it! :D

It was great meeting everyone at the event last night, and sorry I was a bit late getting there, the weather impacted the flight plans just a little ;)

Great meeting up with you Gavin - and many thanks for the cool Canterbury coin. Enjoy your stay in SA, Wx forecast says the sun will be out tomorrow and Sunday :D.

TN