ISS cache locked

AneMae

We had an interaction with the ISS the other day- went to log a visit/note on the ISS cache (GC1BE91)

However when you click Log your visit you get a page that states the cache is no longer accepting logs and is locked.

Checked another cache by the same CO Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents (GCG822) and it is the same thing. That one has yet to be found.

Why would this be? I have sent the CO a message asking why this is, but in the meantime can anyone else provide a reason?

What good is any cache listing if it will not accept logs, of any type?

Groundspeak? What does the frog have to say on this one?

Note: I have also sent my question to GS via their contact form, will see what they say.

Edited by AneMae

Well, my guess is that they are extremely famous caches that people may have been falsely logging or using as a forum. Since these caches would only be found extremely rarely, then the finders can let the owner or Groundspeak know when they find them and it can be unlocked for them to log their find at that time.

So what about writing a note? Why would that be locked. I pay my Premium Membership fee, I don't see why GS should decide what listings (that they have approved) I should have access too.

Groundspeak owns the website and Groundspeak has decided these caches should be locked. They are not the only caches locked, many others have been for various reasons. And since Groundspeak owns the site they get to set the rules on who can access various caches. Pretty simple and Premium status has nothing to do with it, I rather imagine it has more to do with lackey status.

So what about writing a note? Why would that be locked. I pay my Premium Membership fee, I don't see why GS should decide what listings (that they have approved) I should have access too.

When it's locked, it's locked. There's no way to leave it unlocked for just notes. Besides, with notes, people can use it as a forum, which is not allowed.

How did he average the coordinates at 17000mph?

Its a moving cache. And no, it wasnt grandfathered. :ph34r:

GS wants that cache listing to make themselves look good. Its one of their selling points when they want to borrow money or have someone put ads on their sites. Its more for GS own good then anything else.

We had an interaction with the ISS the other day- went to log a visit/note on the ISS cache (GC1BE91)

However when you click Log your visit you get a page that states the cache is no longer accepting logs and is locked.

Checked another cache by the same CO Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents (GCG822) and it is the same thing. That one has yet to be found.

Why would this be? I have sent the CO a message asking why this is, but in the meantime can anyone else provide a reason?

Because people like AneMae would post annoying notes that most watchers don't care about at the frequency of about 50 times a year? :laughing:

What, did you see it with a telescope or something? I don't care. It has nothing to do with Geocaching.

This is all said with a big friendly grin on my face. I could have put it more diplomatic, but hey, it's funnier this way. :huh:

We had an interaction with the ISS the other day...

That's odd. According to this list, the last launch was back in mid-July. I can't find any mention of any other launches since then.

Seriously, if you haven't really interacted with the ISS (read: floated around inside), then you have nothing to add to that cache page that dozens of other jokers haven't already done. If you want to post some random notes on caches you haven't visited, find some nice 1/1s closer to home.

Because people like AneMae would post annoying notes that most watchers don't care about at the frequency of about 50 times a year? :laughing:

What, did you see it with a telescope or something? I don't care. It has nothing to do with Geocaching.

This is all said with a big friendly grin on my face. I could have put it more diplomatic, but hey, it's funnier this way. :huh:

I am curious about this interaction too. Other than a physical visit to the ISS. I don't foresee a reason to make any kind of log entry on the cache page. But I could be wrong.

ISS was unlocked for a short time for the last finder and I will say this, my email was BUSY!!! I am GLAD its locked for a reason, I only want emails if someone FOUND it, not some silly notes.

When Steven told me he was gonna get to log that cache at a local event several months before, I didn't 100% believe it would happen. I put a watch on the cache just to see what would happen.

The outcry was awesome entertainment. Hats off to OHL Hockey Guy for having the ingenuity to get that cache.

It's a very good thing that cache is locked.

ISS was unlocked for a short time for the last finder and I will say this, my email was BUSY!!! I am GLAD its locked for a reason, I only want emails if someone FOUND it, not some silly notes.

When Steven told me he was gonna get to log that cache at a local event several months before, I didn't 100% believe it would happen. I put a watch on the cache just to see what would happen.

The outcry was awesome entertainment. Hats off to OHL Hockey Guy for having the ingenuity to get that cache.

I've never gotten email from that cache, so there must be some way to prevent that :ph34r:. But if I see a "cache" and can't reach it, I might type a note (or a DNF). For the ISS in particular, info would be good -- when it will pass overhead, for example. Is it impossible to even edit the cache description? It seems out of date. There's not even a link to track the "traveling cache". Did a TB log get deleted? There was a TB dropped, but no log about a retrieval. Can't a cache that has three logs at least have info about one TB? They need to get this all corrected before I'd attempt to find it. I'm not even sure that the one find is real (it almost looks like a photo of a photo stuck to a wall). This cache is so messed up, it's in danger of being archived. :anitongue:

Edited by kunarion

I am curious about this interaction too. Other than a physical visit to the ISS. I don't foresee a reason to make any kind of log entry on the cache page. But I could be wrong.

Probably discovered a safety issue (rocketry is deadly business) with it and wanted to post a NA.

Probably discovered a safety issue (rocketry is deadly business) with it and wanted to post a NA.

Sorry, Groundspeak doesn't deal with safety issues. :anibad:

I thought it was funny when OHL Hockey Guy "found" it. I didnt care if he found it like that. If you know the right people to "sign" the log for you, all the power to you. Yea, theres some conflict of interest there but lets not go there. :lol:

They deleted all the NA, NM, and notes and all fake found it logs when it was reopened for OHL Hockey Guy. LOL!

If hes reading this, CONGRATS for pulling that off!

Edited by SwineFlew

The cache is rated appropriately. It's terrain rating is 5 stars. Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience.

What I don't like is when someone places a cache in a dangerous area, where specialized equipment and knowledge is needed to avoid the danger, but then gives it 1 or 2 star terrain rating.

Yes they do, they locked it to keep my email box from getting too hot. Thats a fire danger! <_<

They deleted all the NA, NM, and notes and all fake found it logs when it was reopened for OHL Hockey Guy.

Looks like one is still on there if you ask me. Of all caches, you should be there to sign this one if you ask me. I'll send a picture to Snoogans for that Richard Garriott cache in Texas and see if that will save me the trip.

In all seriousness, hope I can do that cache in April, but will see.

Edited by lamoracke

They deleted all the NA, NM, and notes and all fake found it logs when it was reopened for OHL Hockey Guy.

Looks like one is still on there if you ask me. Of all caches, you should be there to sign this one if you ask me. I'll send a picture to Snoogans for that Richard Garriott cache in Texas and see if that will save me the trip.

Let me quote what Jeremy said last year...

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

Can be foundhere.

Edited by SwineFlew

shirtw.jpg

Thanks to toz for this pic. <_<

Waiting for Toz to take over this thread. :ph34r:

I just had to quote the pic, sorry. Yeah, I think OHL hockey guy's "find" is questionable. But I find his username much more questionable. The OHL is the most famous Junior Hockey League in North America, yet he's actually referring to some bar league hockey league with 40 year old fat guys in Texas. :laughing:

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

Can be foundhere.

Oh, I remember him saying that quite clearly, but was just funny if you considered all the other logs bogus and worthy of deletion, seems strange you have no problem with someone who just got his picture tacked to the wall and called it a find.

Can be foundhere.

Oh, I remember him saying that quite clearly, but was just funny if you considered all the other logs bogus and worthy of deletion, seems strange you have no problem with someone who just got his picture tacked to the wall and called it a find.

They are all bogus as far I am concern, the reason one just stand because of how he did it. He did a good job at it. :lol:

I've never gotten email from that cache, so there must be some way to prevent that :ph34r:. But if I see a "cache" and can't reach it, I might type a note (or a DNF). For the ISS in particular, info would be good -- when it will pass overhead, for example. Is it impossible to even edit the cache description? It seems out of date. There's not even a link to track the "traveling cache". Did a TB log get deleted? There was a TB dropped, but no log about a retrieval. Can't a cache that has three logs at least have info about one TB? They need to get this all corrected before I'd attempt to find it. I'm not even sure that the one find is real (it almost looks like a photo of a photo stuck to a wall). This cache is so messed up, it's in danger of being archived. :anitongue:

Isn't the TB now at Groundspeak HQ??Anyway I have seen some pretty high powered camera lenses. Maybe I could use one to take a picture of the ISS when it passes over head, edit in my GPSr using Photoshop, and claim a find. Just say i didn't sign the log, my pen won't work in space but I have a picture for proof.

Here is what the Frog said:

These caches can only be logged if found. They are locked due to couch logs posted by dozens of people who have not found those caches. The ISS cache has actually been returned to earth, so it is not possible to log a find until the cache returns to the ISS. The other cache can be logged if legitimately found, so when cachers do get to the bottom of the ocean floor and can legitimately log the cache, they contact the cache owner who will permit the logging of the cache.

These are highly unusual caches so we treat them a little differently to other caches.

See bold part- shouldn't the cache description & coordinates be updated? At the very least? Maybe even Temp. Disabled since it is not currently available?

Edited by AneMae

These caches can only be logged if found. They are locked due to couch logs posted by dozens of people who have not found those caches. The ISS cache has actually been returned to earth, so it is not possible to log a find until the cache returns to the ISS. The other cache can be logged if legitimately found, so when cachers do get to the bottom of the ocean floor and can legitimately log the cache, they contact the cache owner who will permit the logging of the cache.

These are highly unusual caches so we treat them a little differently to other caches.

See bold part- shouldn't the cache description & coordinates be updated? At the very least? Maybe even Temp. Disabled since it is not currently available?

OCD much? Or just need attention?

How did he average the coordinates at 17000mph?

Its a moving cache. And no, it wasnt grandfathered. :ph34r:

GS wants that cache listing to make themselves look good. Its one of their selling points when they want to borrow money or have someone put ads on their sites. Its more for GS own good then anything else.

From what I have read in buisness magazines, GS does not borrow money.

OCD much? Or just need attention?

I'm going with this one based on some previous posts :rolleyes:

To answer the question without the sarcasm...

It should be temporaraly dissabled, but "These are highly unusual caches so we treat them a little differently to other caches."

Basicly, GS will do whatever they want with these two.

I didn't realize that one of the benefits of being a PM was having the right to decide what listings I can post to! Thanks for letting me know that. Groundspeak should mention that in their FAQ. <_<

However when you click Log your visit you get a page that states the cache is no longer accepting logs and is locked.....

Can you tell us what your "interaction" was? Radio?, Telescope?, ...?

Well it has to do with a bar of soap, the Higgs Bosun particle, a beer can chicken and some instructions on treating radiation exposure that were unclear and caused me to get my elbow stuck in a celing fan. You had to be there I guess.

However when you click Log your visit you get a page that states the cache is no longer accepting logs and is locked.....

Can you tell us what your "interaction" was? Radio?, Telescope?, ...?

Well it has to do with a bar of soap, the Higgs Bosun particle, a beer can chicken and some instructions on treating radiation exposure that were unclear and caused me to get my elbow stuck in a celing fan. You had to be there I guess.

And that is EXACTLY why it is locked.

Upgrade to Platinum Member and perhaps you can log it..