Garmin Tempe Sensor

yogazoo

The latest firmware has enabled compatibility with the Garmin Tempe sensor in many of the ANT equipped Garmin handhelds. There are also new data fields: 24hr Min, 24hr Max, and Temperature.

I have a question about how the Min/Max data fields work. Is the log of the temperature extremes recorded only when the GPS is on? Or are the Min/Max values stored in the Tempe Sensor and transmitted to the unit?

Yet you commented "PASS!!!" on the new Oregon firmware so I'll bet you'll be reconcidering that decision.

You got that right! :P

I've had so many crummy digital thermometers, unreadable, unreliable, and recorded nothing. Reading the Garmin page it records to every waypoint, How about that!!!

Now for that test of v5.90 and I'll be checking this thread for your expert review.

Many thanks.

To the OP: I doubt the wireless sender records anything, up to the connected receiver to record. IOWs, don't hold your breath.

I believe they are transmitted realtime just like the heart rate monitor. Will have to see once mine arrives.

I assumed the temperature was transmitted real-time but when you get your Tempe check and see if you need to have your GPS unit on to keep track of the minimum / maximum temp or is that stored on the Tempe sensor and transmitted to the unit. It would be great if the min/max temps were kept track of on the Tempe sensor that way I could fire the GPS up in the morning and check how cold it got the previous evening. If the min/max values are only logged on the GPS then I would miss the minimum temp because I'm not going to leave the GPS on all night.

.....would seem to limit this things usefulness.

Well Doh, can you think of ANY thermometer that doesn't have the same limitations?!?!?

Clearly with regards to thermometers, your glass is half empty.

Obviously ANY thermometer will have the same limitations, does that somehow change the usefulness of this $25ish Garmin gizmo?

Being able to check and continuously record the temp from "up to 32 feet(10 meters) away" will of course have some uses, but in regard to a device that Garmin is marketing to hikers, "Attach it to your pack, jacket or shoe to accurately keep tabs on the temperature as you head out on your next great expedition."** that will cause your device to eat it's batteries even faster, which in the case of my Oregon is too fast already, I do not see it as very usefull.

** Those locations do not seem to fit too well with the other statement about keeping it "away from things that can impact the temperatures of the device, such as your body, hydration bladders, or direct sunlight."

EDITED to change EVERY to ANY.

Edited by Mr Kaswa

With the latest firmware version (v6.10) the gps store the temperature data in the curent.gpx :)

Try it!

Tested in Garmin Oregon 450.

You can see the temperature on the screen, but the temperature is not registered in the gpx file

(bug that I reported to Garmin). Firmware version 6.0

If you use your GPS for in car navigation you can attach the Tempe sensor to the antenna and see temperature data from outside the car. Helpful if your driving and want to know if the roads could be icy. I've thrown a key ring on it and slid it down the antenna. You could also use a magnetic box and slip the sensor inside.

Granted some high-falutin' fancy vehicles may have the outside temerature available on a display but not my trusty 89 Ranger.

MtnHermt,

That thing's FUGLY! It would be especially so next to my dash mounted Montana!! It would go well on the dash of my 89 Ranger though, it would serve to enhance the late 80's nostalgia. :D :D

just imagine it clipped to your backpack (and a 12V car battery in your backpack also) Edited by coggins

I'll answer my own question from earlier. The MIN MAX values are indeed stored on the Tempe sensor and transmitted to the GPS. What that means is that you could turn your GPS off, leave the sensor out all night, and when you wake up you can see how cold it got while you were sleeping. Despite the limited minimum value (-5 degrees) the Tempe sensor is pretty handy to have.

TEST: Turn your GPS off then place your Tempe sensor in the freezer for 30 minutes. Now pull it out and let it set outside of the freezer for 30 minutes. Now turn your GPS on and you will see the low minimum temperature from when the sensor was in the freezer even though the GPS was off.

Edited by yogazoo
The -20C limit sucks. No use for half the year...

That says volumes about where/how you live. I rarely see -20C and prefer not seeing 0C, but 0C is now every day, sometimes the high.

I wonder if the Tempe's battery is the reason for the -20C limit?

If it stops working or whatever because it is too cold, fine, but it is still to force a limit like that into the software. -20 is not very cold.

-20°C is the limit of the CR2032 battery. If you install a BR2032 battery it should then read down to -30°C.

There's talk, but no confirmation or denial from G as yet , that the Tempe is recording full 24hr temperature data on a rolling 365 day period, and that it only requires a firmware update on selective Garmin head units to access this data. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but for me working in microelectronics, I cannot see why not as this feature wouldn't require much in terms of storage to accomplish.

Precision wise - when it comes to accuracy of the Tempe device I've checked my product against a reference thermometer and it read within 0.3°C@0C/0.4°C@20°C. Transient time (0°C-20°C) was noted at a mean 13 minutes. The Edge 800, for reference, measured 21.

My best,

CofTQLT

There's talk, but no confirmation or denial from G as yet , that the Tempe is recording full 24hr temperature data on a rolling 365 day period, and that it only requires a firmware update on selective Garmin head units to access this data.

This development would be HUGE! Especially for field workers who need to log temperature data at a specific location over time. Button style data loggers can be relatively expensive and sometimes cumbersome to download in the field. Being able to access and log this data on a Garmin handheld would be a great development since alot of field workers use Garmins.

Thanks for the info!

Oh and I did notice that my Tempe did log a temperature as low as -7 the other day. I get it now, the "operating temperature" is based on the rating of the battery for cold and not the lower limit of the Tempe!!

Edited by yogazoo

Stick your Tempe in a deep-freeze freezer. In my freezer the Tempe has recorded temps down to -8 degrees F which is what an alcohol based thermometer told me as well. So apparently -4 isn't a firmware imposed limit. Here in Helena MT at 5,000 ft elev we usually go a week or two with nighttime temps around -20F in January/February. I'm anxious to see if the Tempe will be able to record values that low. I plan on getting a li-ion battery for the test.

Edited by yogazoo

Stick your Tempe in a deep-freeze freezer. In my freezer the Tempe has recorded temps down to -8 degrees F which is what an alcohol based thermometer told me as well. So apparently -4 isn't a firmware imposed limit.

That is good to hear. I'll grab one then and try on of the BR batteries.

30 bucks for a temperature logger? There are actually people willing to pay that much? Wow.

It's all about toys! :anitongue: As toys go, it beats a fancy putter. Amazon is full of digital thermometers that exceed $30 that do no more than tell the temp.

Because of the ANT wireless, the data can be displayed in numerous places on the GPS screen, that makes Tempe unique. Perhaps a screenshot will appear in this thread as an illustration.

-20°C is the limit of the CR2032 battery. If you install a BR2032 battery it should then read down to -30°C.

There's talk, but no confirmation or denial from G as yet , that the Tempe is recording full 24hr temperature data on a rolling 365 day period, and that it only requires a firmware update on selective Garmin head units to access this data. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but for me working in microelectronics, I cannot see why not as this feature wouldn't require much in terms of storage to accomplish.

Precision wise - when it comes to accuracy of the Tempe device I've checked my product against a reference thermometer and it read within 0.3°C@0C/0.4°C@20°C. Transient time (0°C-20°C) was noted at a mean 13 minutes. The Edge 800, for reference, measured 21.

My best,

CofTQLT

According to this site:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Tempe

the Tempe does indeed store 24-hour min/max data. But that's it. If you want to track temperature changes while your GPS is turned off, you'll probably need a Kestrel portable weather station or something similar.

Hello, before you buy Garmin fenix and tempe sensor, I have a technical question:

if the actual temperature is 15.5° C, the watch indicates 15° or 16°? round up (15.5=16°C) or truncates only (15.0-15.9=15°C) ?

I asked the tech support, but I did not get relevant answers.

Thanks